Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

11.30p and still 20.1c here. Going to be a rough night.

New Moon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Beautiful evening out there now with a bright full moon,

I noticed the amazing moonrise down here to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The front of our house is red-brick and gets alot of sun, the heat off them is amazing, it means opening the Windows is fruitless as it lets the heat in!

I got one of those 'laser thermometers' last year and it is a pretty cool instrument. Handy for measuring wall/ground temps.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

With warmer uppers moving over us tonight I see no reason why the temp can't rise by another 2C tomorrow.
    For me the record is under threat

You might be right JanuarySnowstor, as the guys are pointing out we are getting a lot of stored up heat now in the ground to help give the temps a bit more of a push upwards. Upper airs at about their highest this week, little cloud, winds from the E. Will be close.

ECU0-24_cux2.GIF

tempresult_rnz3.gif

tempresult_wpw6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Nice and cool here in Dublin, 15 celsius at the moment.

A very slight breeze is helping too here.

Breeze took the sting out of the high temperatures earlier today. Hopefully we will get the same benefits in the coming days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

John.Icy wrote: »
    Yeah doing surprisingly well in Dublin. Kermit was spot on and glad he relaxed my fears a few days ago.

But above is right - temperatures fly back post 9pm in Dublin. No issues whatsoever with sleeping here. Full duvets as per usual. Helps my house is a little drafty but once the windows are opened in the late afternoon our indoor temperatures fly down. Only the front of the house gets sun after 1pm and after 7pm none of the window facing parts of the house get sunlight which further helps things.

Strange. Right by the coast here and the breeze has stopped causing a warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

potential for 32 tomorrow locally in the west.

Another dry and very warm day tomorrow. Temperatures widely reaching 28 to 30 degrees inland, possible 31 or 32 locally. A little cooler along coasts due to sea breezes, 22 to 25 degrees. Winds will be light easterly.

met.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Nice and cool here in Lahinch....its needed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    That's very cool GL, how do you get that kind of setup?

It's my Phonewatch alarm app. The wireless alarm sensors are also thermometers. Handy on nights like this. The conservatory today was 56 °C. :rolleyes:

tonight walking into my bathroom,i got that feeling
    i get in Barcelona, the cool tile under foot, the warm
    build up of stagnant heat from the day passed.

finished off with a view of clew bay from my bedroom
    window,the horizon on fire,flamingo pink,calmed by powder
    baby blue,sharp outlines of achill,cobalt blue grecian seas beneath.

barefoot,a gentle zephyr flutters net curtain,
    the after smell of heated vegetation and after sun lotion,
    a glass of citrus white wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Is there any chance of thunder and lightning breaking out?

Warm weather tends to bring the potential

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

I’m on holidays at the moment so decided to check the temp at home in my living room, no windows opened for days!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Strange. Right by the coast here and the breeze has stopped causing a warming.

Offshore breezes setting in.

Meanwhile, 14.9c in South Laois.

It's closer now to freezing than it is to what today's high was. :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

19.3c here in Waterford City at near Midnight. Inside Temp of 28.4c so a rough sleep tonight.
    Looking back at the July 2013 Heatwave it did produce Higher Temps for Waterford City with a few 27.7c recorded and a station record of 27.8c. Sea Breezes do play a huge factor here being just 10km from the coast but if we can negate those influences 27 and 28c are possible.

www.waterfordcityweather,com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Joanna on radio 1 now talking away to Cathal Murray before the forecast saying the phone didnt stop ringing all day haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The partial thickness formula for max temperature I used last night gave a forecast high of 30.5 today, which turned out to be just 0.3 degrees away from the highest recorded (30.8). Worked pretty well, I thought.

Thicknesses tomorrow are forecast to be slightly less (around 1400 m), which gives a Tmax of

Tmax=-192.65+0.156(1400)+4 = 29.8 °C.

Seems a little low. We would need to add a couple of degrees to allow for the cumulative effect of the past few days' heat. The final +4 bit is a correction based on time of year, sun strength, ground moisture, etc., so maybe adjust that to +5 or so. I reckon 31.5 max tomorrow.

Today west of ireland competing well with well known hot spots around Europe.

[IMG][/img]f0qgxl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It just looks so weird seeing “Barcelona 28” and then “Mayo 30” haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Nice and cool outside now. I have the fan on the windowsill by the open window blowing the sweet refreshing air into my face.

tc1JRet.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Rougies wrote: »
    Nice and cool outside now. I have the fan on the windowsill by the open window blowing the sweet refreshing air into my face.

tc1JRet.gif

Something wrong with my fan, it's blowing oppressive heat at me all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Today west of ireland competing well with well known hot spots around Europe.

[IMG][/img]f0qgxl.jpg

Absolutely amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Something must have happened on Harmonie because the MÉ temperature diagram is showing even more 34 degrees / darker red area than it was for today.
    (I seem to be the only one reading that point of the scale as 34-36 - am I doing it wrong? seems logical to me, since -20 is the bottom of the scale, it's hardly going to be -21?)

Anyway, bloody hot. Setting location to Kerry also gives 33 degrees on the meteogram

1dc2e14da2ee35a189aa16bb401c330a.png

Lots of 30+ and quite a few 32 and 33 on the ARPEGE

arpegeuk-41-22-0.png?28-00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Midnight June 28th

Mace head 21 degrees
    Shannon 20 degrees
    Newport 19 degrees
    Knock Airport 19 degrees (rare at midday,never mind midnight)
    Finner 19
    Athenry 19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

sdanseo wrote: »
    Something must have happened on Harmonie because the MÉ temperature diagram is showing even more 34 degrees / darker red area than it was for today.
    (I seem to be the only one reading that point of the scale as 34-36 - am I doing it wrong? seems logical to me, since -20 is the bottom of the scale, it's hardly going to be -21?)

Anyway, bloody hot. Setting location to Kerry also gives 33 degrees on the meteogram

Logically I read it as 33-35, as the number beneath the colour is in the middle. I rather meteociel's (for example) way of doing it, with the numbers at the borders of the colours, easier to read and less ambiguous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

GFS showing 28s and 29s for tomorrow.

Is it still 3 or 4 degrees off the mark? Seem to recall someone mentioning it had caught up a bit.

21-778UK.GIF?27-18

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The partial thickness formula for max temperature I used last night gave a forecast high of 30.5 today, which turned out to be just 0.3 degrees away from the highest recorded (30.8). Worked pretty well, I thought

Max of 30.9c today. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Why did Joanna call the 33.3 from 1887 "dubious" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

As it's from 1887?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thank you UKMO, just saw the forecast for the week ahead,a low developing in the bay of Biscay but it peters out as it gets pushed North West and misses Ireland,only a slim chance of a thundery shower on Monday and it draws more heat from the south east and there's hints at even higher temperatures than we already have.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There's a report on Kilkenny weather stating that 'an inspection took place at Kilkenny Castle in August 1889 (Two years after the record breaking temperature was recorded). The report states that the instruments were all in good order. The maximum thermometer was checked against a known good standard thermometer and no correction was required'

http://www.kilkennyweather.com/index.php/1887-the-hottest-day

Meanwhile Mace Head still reporting 21c at 1am.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement