Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Dont thing Sligo will break the 30

NE winds will mean SW is warmest so Athenry and Kerry and Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I was living in Cork in 2012 in an apartment overlooking the Lee. This photo came up in my FB ‘On This Day’ page, from this day six years ago. It was the day after there was serious flooding in the area and the Lee was very swollen and horribly muddy. The photo doesn’t even fully capture it. That depressing string of summers (2007-2012) is something I hope we don’t see again for a long, long time. I walked home from work in Cork as there was no bus on the route and so many times that summer, I’d get completely soaked through. I actually bought a long raincoat whilst there because it was happening so often. The winters each side of it were far drier as I recall.

Anyway, what a contrast between that weather and what we’re currently experiencing! :)

9_C198_DE2-7068-4078-_BCFF-63_EC6946_A651.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

crustybla wrote: »
    Well that's my peace of mind gone! I have all the windows open for the night as we were sweltered last night and I never thought of the creepy crawlies! I'm leaving them open tonight, gonna take my chances.:eek:

The weather has us well trained... Safe when it is dark to leave windows open.. Here when it is as hot as now, I cannot leave door or window open when it is light as these huge great LOUD bluebottles come in...and midges.. But when it is well dark and the lights are off, door wide open..

Amazing how we adapt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

There's a report on Kilkenny weather stating that 'an inspection took place at Kilkenny Castle in August 1889 (Two years after the record breaking temperature was recorded). The report states that the instruments were all in good order. The maximum thermometer was checked against a known good standard thermometer and no correction was required'

http://www.kilkennyweather.com/index.php/1887-the-hottest-day

Meanwhile Mace Head still reporting 21c at 1am.

I think the location of the thermometer is the more dubious factor.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Yeah doing surprisingly well in Dublin. Kermit was spot on and glad he relaxed my fears a few days ago.

But above is right - temperatures fly back post 9pm in Dublin. No issues whatsoever with sleeping here. Full duvets as per usual. Helps my house is a little drafty but once the windows are opened in the late afternoon our indoor temperatures fly down. Only the front of the house gets sun after 1pm and after 7pm none of the window facing parts of the house get sunlight which further helps things.

No way here to get or keep the place cool. OK during the morning but as soon as the sun climbs to shine on the front.. Both the windows and the door face into the sun. The walls and roof are thinly insulated aluminium. Cooler now as as I have been asleep the door has been wide open. Poor cat was stretched out on the doormat, tail fully extended. They are just coming n for food now then back to their shady patches .

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    The council spread lime and grit on the roads today:

https://twitter.com/JMulhall75/status/1011926101378129920

There'll be lots of overtime then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

As it's from 1887?

It's not the stone age, I'm sure they could record it accurately. We haven't been too far off it on a few occasions since, so I don't see how it's that dubious.

They talk about record breaking this week and 1976 for the hype because they know we're not Likley to break the official record.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Temperature is rising here...it had fallen to 16.2C at 1:22am, now it is 18.6C.

RobertKK wrote: »

Oh OH! Back on the treadmll;...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The sunrise is beautiful here in Dublin! Clear skies with no clouds and it feels refreshing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Artane2002 wrote: »
    The sunrise is beautiful here in Dublin! Clear skies with no clouds and it feels refreshing.

Yep and it smells like Spain in the morning times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Rougies wrote: »
    There's a report on Kilkenny weather stating that 'an inspection took place at Kilkenny Castle in August 1889 (Two years after the record breaking temperature was recorded). The report states that the instruments were all in good order. The maximum thermometer was checked against a known good standard thermometer and no correction was required'

http://www.kilkennyweather.com/index.php/1887-the-hottest-day

Meanwhile Mace Head still reporting 21c at 1am.

I think the location of the thermometer is the more dubious factor.
    Surely then met should replicate position and thermometer type and treat like for like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This mornings gfs run brings the biscay low that bit closer again. Showers/ storms very possible further south on Sunday
    Indeed ukmo on board as well for Sunday.
    Met Eireanns text forecast (only just updated) stating mainly dry, already looks incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Fabulous weather at the moment. I normally don't like the heat especially when it is humid but I love the warmth at the moment, especially after the last 9 cold gloomy months. We normally get very humid conditions with good summer weather but it appears to be drier this time around, more continental. I guess the air mass has come from the east.

Interesting that Scandinavia are having very fine weather too. They seem to get quite decent summers, not exposed to atlantic regimes I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well the azores low has fought back and is now very much a player on all 3 runs for Sunday. Certainly for the South an interruption likely with some badly needed rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

For those who can read the charts a quick question. Going camping over weekend down to cork, we camp a lot in all weather but we have another family coming with us for first time and they wouldn’t have same level of gear we have.
    So is it now looking likely we will get some rain Sunday night into Monday morning or is it way to early to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon is 3 degrees colder at 7 am this morning than it was yesterday morning (15.0 today versus 18.0 yesterday). The overnight air/grass minima were also 3 colder (12.4/10 this morning versus 15.4/13 yesterday). Starting off from a lower base today, so it will be interesting to see how it catches up. There is less cloud overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Shannon is 3 degrees colder at 7 am this morning than it was yesterday morning (15.0 today versus 18.0 yesterday). The overnight air/grass minima were also 3 colder (12.4/10 this morning versus 15.4/13 yesterday). Starting off from a lower base today, so it will be interesting to see how it catches up. There is less cloud overall.
    Definitely feels cooler here in kildare this morning, no cloud cover. Garden thermonator Reading nearly 4 less than this time yesterday..

Fell to a cool 11c early this morning. Up to 17c now in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

18c in Blanchardstown now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭giveitholly

No mention of any of those showers on Sunday by Joanna on RTÉ Radio now

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

What's the longest we've gone with temperatures above 30°C on consecutive days? Looking at met eireanns forecast we've already had 2 days and are likely to have 2 more. Would that be some sort of record?

23C at 8.07am here north east Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No mention of any of those showers on Sunday by Joanna on RTÉ Radio now

UKMO last night were giving a swing and a miss by them. The forecaster said "we'd have to squint to see one pop up".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Very warm now. Beautiful morning. So calm.

Went for a stroll last night around 11pm. Heavenly. The smells of summer.

20c now in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Feels a lot fresher here this morning, compared to the same time yesterday morning. Temperature gauge is showing 17 celsius here in Dublin.

If we manage to retain the nice steady breeze it would be great.

RobertKK wrote: »

I wonder if this was temperature inversion happening last night? I notice it in winter too, that weather in Kilkenny city which is around 400ft/120m lower can get much lower temperatures at night, but then at the same time we can get similar high temperatures during the day, bad winter when it is usually a bit colder for the day time highs. This does be more pronounced in winter than Summer when high temperatures can be similar. But last night at 2.45am compared to 1.22am, I got this sudden rise in temperature when lower down in Kilkenny city about 6 miles straight line, it was around 12C and there was no rise. I had mirrored their temperatures during the day. My own high was 29.1C and the high in the city was 29.3C. Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

24 hour graph from my station paints the picture

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1012236080198963200?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Distinct chill in the air this morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement