Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Already 22 in the Diese but doesn't feel as warm as this time yesterday oddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It felt much warmer walking to train in west dublin and Joanna said on Morning Ireland that temps are starting off at a higher base this morning. That seems to conflict with what some are saying here

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very still and insecty out here. As if all is holding its breath. So utterly silent. Must be warmer that eg yesterday as the bluebottles and midges are around already, earlier than usual. Steely dazzling sun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

ongarboy wrote: »
    It felt much warmer walking to train in west dublin and Joanna said on Morning Ireland that temps are starting off at a higher base this morning. That seems to conflict with what some are saying here

Yes two degrees colder than same time yesterday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

ongarboy wrote: »

Feels warmer to me as well. 2 degrees warmer my app just said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Belfast Aldergrove (near where I live) is on 25c at 9am. Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

UKMO stations in Ulster are a couple of degrees warmer this morning than yesterday, so keep an eye on there later. Castlederg hit 30.0 yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

That record is a toughy to reach, isn’t it? When the UK reached 38 point whatever degrees in 2003, Ireland was hamstrung by heavy haze that was more like cloud. I honestly think that sans cloud, the record would have been smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Yes keeping a very close eye on the temperatures today ! Check out the forecast from the UK Met Office for NI today:

Regional Forecast for Northern Ireland
    Headline:
    Hot or very hot.

Today:
    It will be dry and sunny and becoming hot or very hot, perhaps the hottest day on record which currently stands at 30.8 Celsius. Some refreshing seas breezes will develop around the coasts in the afternoon. Maximum temperature 30 °C.

Interesting how much lower in temperature the highest ever temp in Ireland is compared to Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes certainly hard to get the record.

Seems even warmer today in Sligo than yesterdays 29c but most of the high Met Values are at the coastal West so theyl hardly get over 30c much except Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Interesting how much lower in temperature the highest temp in Ireland is compared to Britain.

not really - south of England regularly enjoys near continental type summers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pauldry wrote: »
    Yes certainly hard to get the record.

Seems even warmer today in Sligo than yesterdays 29c but most of the high Met Values are at the coastal West so theyl hardly get over 30c much except Shannon.

It is here the lack of wind/breeze that seems to be enclosing and intensifying the heat. So rare the air is still for so long here, West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It definitely seems cooler this morning but currently it’s 21-22 and after heating up very quickly.
    I noticed the tar is beginning to soften already and lumps of the road are beginning to come up when anything heavy drives over..
    Maybe it feels cooler because we are starting to acclimatise to the heat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

UKMO stations in Ulster are a couple of degrees warmer this morning than yesterday, so keep an eye on there later. Castlederg hit 30.0 yesterday.

Belfast Aldergrove was at 21c or 22c yesterday at 9am and maxed at just under 29c yesterday. Will be interesting to see what happens today with it being 3 to 4c up at 9am.

Though I’ve seen it go high early in the morning before, only to slow down significantly from about 11am onwards and subsequently not max as high as I’d hoped for. Perhaps today will be different. We’ll see...

lawred2 wrote: »
    not really - south of England regularly enjoys near continental type summers

Welsh max was 35. And unlike the Irish max that’s fairly recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Interesting how much lower in temperature the highest temp in Ireland is compared to Britain.

Shannon, Galway and parts of Donegal were warmer than London yesterday.

Shannon, Galway and parts of Donegal were warmer than London yesterday.

Highest ever I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I notice a stream of cloud to the Northwest.

This is far back the constant Northwesterly was pushed by SE the past day or two.

Now its a NE wind so that stuff is sneaking back

Bah!

Saturday 17c in Sligo and 30c elsewhere

highest ever Ireland temperature is 33.3, highest ever in UK is 38 degrees. Not exactly a massive difference.
    What is a huge contrast is continental Europe. It seems to be that London averages about 3 degrees warmer than Dublin and Paris is usually about 3-4 degrees warmer than London. Paris can be brutally hot !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Both Kildare and Laois up at 24c now

highest ever Ireland temperature is 33.3, highest ever in UK is 38 degrees. Not exactly a massive difference.
    What is a huge contrast is continental Europe. It seems to be that London averages about 3 degrees warmer than Dublin and Paris is usually about 3-4 degrees warmer than London. Paris can be brutally hot !

every single time I've been there it's been cold and wet

that includes twice in June :rolleyes:

wifey flat out refuses to even countenance a trip to Paris any more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

glightning wrote: »

Belfast Aldergrove was at 21c or 22c yesterday at 9am and maxed at just under 29c yesterday. Will be interesting to see what happens today with it being 3 to 4c up at 9am.

Though I’ve seen it go high early in the morning before, only to slow down significantly from about 11am onwards and subsequently not max as high as I’d hoped for. Perhaps today will be different. We’ll see...
    Agreed.  Valentia yesterday was 28C at lunchtime but dropped 4 degrees in an hour for remainder of afternoon while other stations increased their values so depending on a local change in weather, temporary cloud formation, wind direction switch etc it's hard to know exactly how they will pan out. According to MTC in his thread, today will be the peak day for highest temps with them reducing fractionally tomorrow. I'd love to see the all time June record smashed for Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

harr wrote: »
    It definitely seems cooler this morning but currently it’s 21-22 and after heating up very quickly.
    I noticed the tar is beginning to soften already and lumps of the road are beginning to come up when anything heavy drives over..
    Maybe it feels cooler because we are starting to acclimatise to the heat ?

Not in a couple of weeks I don't think,no ;)

lawred2 wrote: »

every single time I've been there it's been cold and wet

that includes twice in June :rolleyes:

wifey flat out refuses to even countenance a trip to Paris any more

I can assure you that is not the norm in June. I have spent a lot of time in Paris and it gets really hot. Even look at Paris this weekend. its to be up around 35 degrees this Sunday and over 30 degrees for the next week. I was there in July 2003 and the temperature was up around 40. If you look at London for example over the next 7 days, the expected high is 29 degrees. Paris is much hotter. Its amazing the difference when you cross over from Ireland and the UK to continental Europe.

I can assure you that is not the norm in June. I have spent a lot of time in Paris and it gets really hot. Even look at Paris this weekend. its to be up around 35 degrees this Sunday and over 30 degrees for the next week. I was there in July 2003 and the temperature was up around 40. If you look at London for example over the next 7 days, the expected high is 29 degrees. Paris is much hotter. Its amazing the difference when you cross over from Ireland and the UK to continental Europe.

I know all that - wife believes she's jinxed where Paris is concerned

2003 was exceptional on the continent though. A prolonged heatwave across the landmass where many elderly people died. 40+ would be very unusual for Paris. Even high 30s wouldn’t be too common. Up to mid-30s would be more common but low 20s would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The killer in heatwaves is the nighttime temperatures, that was what really caused the deaths on the continent in 2003, temperatures overnight were dropping no lower than 20-25 degrees.

Luckily here the air is relatively dry at the moment and we have relatively moderate dewpoints so overnight temperatures are bearable for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Shannon is actually coolest at 9am at 19c. A long way to go (14c) to get from there to the record. 23c is highest at 9am is a few places which is pretty impressive for that hour all the same! 10am's out shortly.

• Advertisement

I’m finding the nights fine. I’ve improved on that score with age though. As a child and teen and in my early 20s, I couldn’t stick warm nights at all. Now they bother me much less.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement