Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Gonzo wrote: »
    Both BBC and Accuweather showing temperatures above 20C with no rain for the greater Dublin area up to July 12th.

I will be amazed if it works out like that, but the drought will certainly be real if it does.

If you had of just said Accuweather I would have got my rain jacket ready... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Claremorris, Mullingar and Oak Park 26 at 11 am. Shannon 25.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dacogawa wrote: »
    If you had of just said Accuweather I would have got my rain jacket ready... :D

the only thing Accuweather is good for is looking at maximum temperature reached each day at any given location.

Their forecasts showing above 20C and no rain for the next 2 weeks can probably be disregarded but the fact that BBC has a similar outlook is interesting. Then again, BBC can often get their outlooks very wrong too, just a few days ago they had the cool Atlantic back by Monday, which is now clearly not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

where do you get the 11am reports so early?

the veil of cloud to NW could be over more Northern parts this evening even though Met say Saturday.

Its moving fast

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Met Eireann 11am reports

Mt Dillon - 27C
    most other stations on 25 or 26C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Claremorris, Mullingar and Oak Park 26 at 11 am. Shannon 25.

As per my mail above, that is seriously warm for 11am but it seems unlikely temps will go up a further 7c or 8c in order to challenge the record.

Edit:- I see now Mt Dillon is 27c so that makes it a tad more feasible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

Id say we might nudge a 32 with Met saying 31.7c in the evening

Comparison of yesterday's and today's hourly readings for Shannon, Claremorris and Gurteen. All the same or slightly lagging yesterday.

454451.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Gonzo wrote: »
    Both BBC and Accuweather showing temperatures above 20C with no rain for the greater Dublin area up to July 12th.

I will be amazed if it works out like that, but the drought will certainly be real if it does.

It wouldn't be unusual if we got no rain till the end of August.

This thing can have a way of locking in place.

We'll need an exceptionally wet few weeks to avoid a crisis.

I've never seen water levels so low at this time of year or my fields so brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

27.9C currently, gave the dog some fresh water with ice cubes as he seemed particularly hot, he has access to water at all times, just felt he needed a little extra help with the heat.

• Advertisement

CAstlederg 27.0 at 11 am, well ahead of yesterday, when the max was 30.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Danzy wrote: »
    It wouldn't be unusual if we got no rain till the end of August.

No it WOULD be highly unusual and remarkable to go that long without a single drop of rain in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No it WOULD be highly unusual and remarkable to go that long without a single drop of rain in Ireland.

Agree and it would be making world news due to the various crisis it would bring.

pauldry wrote: »
    where do you get the 11am reports so early?

Met Éireann aviation briefing service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

That'd be over 3 months with out any rain for parts. Not only would it be unusual, it'd be the most devastating drought in 50 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Time to build some nice big reservoirs and retro fit efficient flush toilets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Anyone know what the high temperature record for any station in Cork is? I can`t find it on ME site or elsewhere.

Anyone know what the high temperature record for any station in Cork is? I can`t find it on ME site or elsewhere.

I replied to you on Tuesday Cork Boy 53:
    Only back now from Wicklow (will have pics soon :D).

Don't have a high temperature record for Cork city but for Cork Airport it's 28.7c on 14th July 1983 whilst for June specifically, 27.5c on 30th June 1995.

26 at midday! It'll be 28 something today I reckon but feels cooler than this time yesterday, I must be getting used to this or am managing how the house gathers/dissipates the heat better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

26 at midday! It'll be 28 something today I reckon but feels cooler than this time yesterday, I must be getting used to this or am managing how the house gathers/dissipates the heat better.

26.3 already beaten yesterday's max 4 hours earlier too!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I replied to you on Tuesday Cork Boy 53:

Ok, sorry I must have missed that post. Both those records seem unlikely to be broken this week.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Agree and it would be making world news due to the various crisis it would bring.

Probably even unprecedented. The only months I know of that have recorded at least 1 Irish station without rain for the entire month are: April 1938, February 1965, February 1986, September 1986 and May 1991.

Shades of 1976 on the models, the high just can't budge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

NAVGEM doesn't have thunderstorm breakdown. Maybe increase in cloud, first in the north, then from the south, both clearing rapidly. Temps high 20s/low 30s right til the end of the model run (next Weds) with little indication of a breakdown. GFS not really showing precip either but a cooling trend from Sunday til Weds before heating up again. Arpege looks similar to NAVGEM. So far the low doesn't impact us much.

Speak Now wrote: »
    26.3 already beaten yesterday's max 4 hours earlier too!!

27 in Waterford now but the humidity is falling at 49% so it feels okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Up to 26 degrees in cork city and rising still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭glightning

CAstlederg 27.0 at 11 am, well ahead of yesterday, when the max was 30.0.

Aldergrove now in 27c too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I'm going to Turkey tomorrow and the temperatures look similar to here. It looks wetter than here too. :rolleyes:

I'm half-hoping to land during a thunderstorm there, it looks like a possibility. I remember landing during a thunderstorm in LHR and it felt oddly exhilarating.

Bring back water.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Oak Park 29 @ 12pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The Weather Channel is forecasting 90F for Limerick city. That equals to 32c. GFS still showing a chance of thunderstorms on Sunday and Monday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement