Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rougies wrote: »
    0.4C higher at the same time, or overall?

Overall.

http://www.laoisweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Castlederg was 28.0 at 12 pm but down slightly to 27.9 at 1 pm. Thomastown is 28.9 at 1 pm.

Yeah. It’s strange that UKMO website has Aldergrove at 26.5c when the METAR is
    29/15 Q1027

It’s like the website is not fully up to date with the actual measurements.

In Belfast city at the moment where I can confirm it is roasting and the hottest It’s felt this spell.

Heading home (inland) in an hour or so. Looking forward to that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon and Kerry airports are 30 °C at 14:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

30.3c at my own weather station smashing previous best of 29.8c 5 years ago.

Its gone "down" to 29.9c now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Looking at 10 day forecast on net says by Mon/Tues next week Partly cloudy 21-22c
    Anyone care to confirm it's going to cool down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Minimum of 24.8C last night, jesus.

I think he runs from 0900 UTC

Seven Worlds will Collide

kilkennyweather.com reporting 30 degrees now in KK city, that's the first time we've hit it since the heatwave. The fields around here where I live -outside the city - are starting to look like Arizona!!

Minimum of 24.8C last night, jesus.

Wow!!

I remember being in Cyprus in 2001 and at midnight the temp was 33c :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My weather station hit 30.0C at 14.09 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Hope Aldergrove keeps its wind direction which is currently blowing 310 deg (so an offshore flow keeping the cooler coastal air away).

Belfast city has a breeze at times today and hopefully this will be kept well away from the inland stations east of Lough Neagh and help 30c be reached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

GL's stats above tally with my own, general 0.8c warmer here than at the same time yesterday. There is also more of a breeze than yesterday, which suggest that overall, the air is warmer today than yesterday. Ironically, I think the strength of the breeze will keep peak late afternoon temps 'down', so to speak, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see a 31 or 32c at my own station before 7pm.

New Moon

inthehat wrote: »
    kilkennyweather.com reporting 30 degrees now in KK city, that's the first time we've hit it since the heatwave. The fields around here where I live -outside the city - are starting to look like Arizona!!

:pac:

Shannon has shot up to 30 now since the wind went from variable 3 knots to NNE 9 knots.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Steve F wrote: »
    Looking at 10 day forecast on net says by Mon/Tues next week Partly cloudy 21-22c

Not all models agree with it (yet). I'd say 50-50 for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Shannon has shot up to 30 now since the wind went from variable 3 knots to NNE 9 knots.

Yeah and Dannos station has a wind gust of 20mph while recording 31c. Sciroccos or what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

joeysoap wrote: »
    It’s sunny here for a few weeks and we are talking water shortages.

It’s seriously sunny in the Algarve for 200 days and semi sunny for another 100 they have thousands of swimming pools, irrigate their grounds every night, and I have never seen a water shortage in all the years I have holidayed there. And it rains here 200 days most years. Something seriously wrong with our water services.

Weather is fantastic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dams_and_reservoirs_in_Portugal

Ireland has two (or is it three) reservoirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I posted our temperature map on a European forum yesterday and all the Greeks and Balkans were complaining that we stole their summer.

I think it is more of a case where they stole ours :mad:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I think he runs from 0900 UTC

Ah that would make sense alright. 24.8C would be a record breaking minimum I think. I can't find what the record is.

Oak Park, Claremorris and Gurteen still 29 at 2 pm.

Steve F wrote: »

I'll update later this evening. It should cool somewhat (low - mid twenties) but not much if any rain for the forseeable future.

As cherryghost said very uncertain at this moment. Should have more clarity on the models this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Dublin alone has 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ah that would make sense alright. 24.8C would be a record breaking minimum I think. I can't find what the record is.

I asked MÉ for the record but I got no response at all. The highest I've found was 18.1c at Shannon Airport on 22nd July 2014 but there has to be something higher than that. After all, Northern Ireland's record is 20.6c on 31 July 1868. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate-extremes/

There should be a record kept of low maximums and high minimums in my opinion as much as low minimums and high maximums.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Dublin alone has 4.

It's a pity the pipes feeding the city are like sieves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

joeysoap wrote: »
    It’s sunny here for a few weeks and we are talking water shortages.

It’s seriously sunny in the Algarve for 200 days and semi sunny for another 100 they have thousands of swimming pools, irrigate their grounds every night, and I have never seen a water shortage in all the years I have holidayed there. And it rains here 200 days most years. Something seriously wrong with our water services.

Weather is fantastic.

If an inch of rain fell in 24 hours in Las Vegas, its a city emergency.

Simply horses for courses - If you know you get very little rain, you spend money on drilling into underground resevoirs and get pipelines between places that do have water.

Here Irish water want to put a pipeline from the shannon that has plenty of water and every feckin NIMBY eejit within 20 miles of the pipeline is saying they will stop it - particularly some English woman who is leading the charge because it will be "unsightly" on her husband's family farm (where she does not live)

Mt Dillon, Roscommon @ 30, 14:00

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thurles 14.20 31.5

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Shannon and Mt Dillon both at 30C for 2pm Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gone up to 30.1C in Castlebar, an hour earlier than yesterday in breaking the 30C mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Did ME change the criteria for an Orange warning on their website? I am almost certain it said "maxima in excess of 30C or minima in excess of 20C expected in a 24h period". I have no way to go back and check a previous version of the web page but I'm sure that's what it said and that's what sdanseo quoted here in s post on Tuesday wondering about why the warning level wasn't raised:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107363452&postcount=1316

But now it says "maxima in excess of 30C AND minima in excess of 20C expected in a 24hr period". Which could explain the lack of orange warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Shannon and mount Dillon 30 degrees at 2pm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement