Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Mullingar 28c n recent FOG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oak Park is down 0.4 degrees at 2 pm and lost its place at the head of the queue.

2pm

29.6 Shannon
    29.2 Gurteen
    28.9 Claremorris
    28.7 Oak Park

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So that's Kerry, Shannon, Mt Dillon @ 30c for 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

pauldry wrote: »

That made me laugh, automated with humour...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

pauldry wrote: »

Must be smoke. At 1 pm its visibility was 40 km. At 2pm it's 3.6 km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Did ME change the criteria for an Orange warning on their website? I am almost certain it said "maxima in excess of 30C or minima in excess of 20C expected in a 24h period". I have no way to go back and check a previous version of the web page but I'm sure that's what it said and that's what sdanseo quoted here in post wondering about why the warning level wasn't raised:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107363452&postcount=1316

But now it says "maxima in excess of 30C AND minima in excess of 20C expected in a 24hr period". Which could explain the lack of orange warning.

Hmm, maybe so. That combination would be extremely rare, as the conditions required to get to 30C in Ireland ie. perfectly clear skies leads to relatively cool nights. It's usually the cloudy/hazy humid 24C-26C type spells that lead to high nightime minimums.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Got to 30.3c here so far today! West Clare.

Reached 30.7C here north east of Kilkenny city, now at 29.9C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Got to 30.3c here so far today! West Clare.

Think I'll skip Kilkee this weekend! (was grand last weekend)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Today's satellite pic from NASA. I think it's the clearest I've ever seen.

Y8UyLS0.jpg

• Advertisement

Think I'll skip Kilkee this weekend! (was grand last weekend)

Don't know about today, but Kilkee had a slight sea breeze yesterday! Still intense heat, but not as bad as 1/2km inland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rougies wrote: »

Y8UyLS0.jpg

see how yellow the Southeast is getting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Cant understand ME they are giving Galway at 24 Degrees with cloud and Sun there is not a cloud in the Sky, Limerick 30, Clare 30 my station 30 how can they be so out of touch with the temp. Its roasting here in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Did ME change the criteria for an Orange warning on their website? I am almost certain it said "maxima in excess of 30C or minima in excess of 20C expected in a 24h period". I have no way to go back and check a previous version of the web page but I'm sure that's what it said and that's what sdanseo quoted here in s post on Tuesday wondering about why the warning level wasn't raised:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107363452&postcount=1316

But now it says "maxima in excess of 30C AND minima in excess of 20C expected in a 24hr period". Which could explain the lack of orange warning.

Yes, they have changed the wording overnight or today sometime, I'm almost certain it said or yesterday. According to archive.org it definitely said the following on at least June 16th:

High Temperature Maxima in excess of 30C or minima in excess of 20C expected in a 24hr period

A very strange thing for them to just change like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yes, they have changed the wording overnight or today sometime, I'm almost certain it said or yesterday. According to archive.org it definitely said the following on at least June 16th:

High Temperature Maxima in excess of 30C or minima in excess of 20C expected in a 24hr period

A very strange thing for them to just change like that!

They're probably afraid of being laughed at by the people from the London Met office who get 30c temps every year without any warning.

Glasgow airport reporting 30c, their June Max is 29.6c, so they could have beaten it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I wont wish for a heatwave again whats the point in heat and sun if it actually makes things alot more uncomfortable...our normal 18-22c on a summers day is just right;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Akrasia wrote: »
    They're probably afraid of being laughed at by the people from the London Met office who get 30c temps every year without any warning.

Why would they be afraid of 'getting laughed at'? SE England has a very different climate profile to us, and indeed, to much of the UK also. What I do think is laughable however is when the UK Met makes such a big deal of relatively benign rainfall and wind events, that we in Ireland and those in Scotland and Northern England/Wales would take no real notice of, when they strike the SE UK. Warnings galore are issued with much furore in the UK media.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Akrasia wrote: »

I doubt that's the reason - Met Office would certainly know about dealing with regional variations of weather impact - 30C might be nothing to London, but it'd be a lot more impactful in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Met Office don't actually have a warning level system for hot weather though - there's a government Heat Health warning system for England, and presumably the other regions have their own warning systems.

Y8UyLS0.jpg

Increasing amount of 'contrail spread' over the skies here at the moment. I wonder will these have an impact on temps in the region later? Aesthetically however, they are ruining that certain 'purity' of sky at the mo.

New Moon

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Glasgow airport reporting 30c, their June Max is 29.6c, so they could have beaten it!

Reporting 31c now, so it's definitely broken, possibly breaking the all time record.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,155 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Y8UyLS0.jpg

She ain't green no more. Getting more brown and brown as the days past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Why do people continuously quote with pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

eGkgSCs.gif

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Increasing amount of 'contrail spread' over the skies here at the moment. I wonder will these have an impact on temps in the region later? Aesthetically however, they are ruining that certain 'purity' of sky at the mo.

None here, the sky is completely blue, one of the purest blues I've ever seen in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

You can spot the tillage areas there looking yellow- down the Barrow valley and an arc around Kilkenny and other parts of the south east with flecks of yellow

Temp alternating between 29.6 and 30.1 here over the last 30 mins. Can't seem to make up it's mind, but overall, slow rising trend has steadied which makes me think that even a 31c might be harder to reach later than I initially thought.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Cant understand ME they are giving Galway at 24 Degrees with cloud and Sun there is not a cloud in the Sky, Limerick 30, Clare 30 my station 30 how can they be so out of touch with the temp. Its roasting here in Galway.

Where are you seeing that? They forecast 31-32C for Galway today and we're getting towards that.

454469.JPG

Remember to drink plenty of liquids, heat exhaustion is a real possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Temps here at Dunshaughlin going back down already. reached 26C here earlier, now currently 25C.

Yesterday's max temp of 27C was the highest point of this spell for me. It Reached just shy of 29C here last June, perhaps this may get beaten in July.

More 30C locations on Met Eireann's 3pm update, but no 31C.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement