Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

6 stations at 30c (rounded) at 3 pm including Athenry and Moore Park

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Car in Cork is reading 35 degrees, I’d say it’s slighrly off but it’s usually very accurate. This is after half an hour of driving non stop.

Edit: it went up to 36 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon 30.3 at 3 pm, 0.2 higher than the same time yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I've noticed there can be confusion about forecasts when you have a city and a county with the same names. Some readers of some forecasts apply one to the other in both directions. I guess without doing a formal search, Galway and Waterford would be most likely to be problematic, other examples may not have the same spread in sea breeze generated differentials.

No 31 yet on the hourly, but six at 30 for 1500h -- Athenry, Claremorris, Gurteen, Moorepark, Mountdillon and Shannon. 29 at Oak Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

gwon the 31...

Shannon at 1600? 4/5 on

Mt Dillon? 5/4

Malin Head 10,000,000/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

32.6c at Porthmadog in Wales and 31.3c at Aviemore in Scotland - Aviemore's equal highest temperature on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

how unlucky. joint highest lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »
    Remember to drink plenty of liquids, heat exhaustion is a real possibility.

And store drinking water also with the situation now.

pauldry wrote: »
    how unlucky. joint highest lol

These joint records are a pain. Need to stop. :P

Highest June temperature: 35.6c in June 1957 AND June 1976
    Lowest temperature of all-time: -27.2c in February 1895, January 1982 AND December 1995

Two examples ^.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

met is saying 28 here, offshore though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Zzippy wrote: »
    Where are you seeing that? They forecast 31-32C for Galway today and we're getting towards that.

When I put Galway into their County weather

http://archive.met.ie/Default.asp?LW=Galway

I noted in our contest thread yesterday that Shannon had a daily mean temperature of 23.1 which is higher than the maximum for June in the 246 year period of record for the CET (Central England temperature series). That maximum was 23.0 from 3 June 1947. The highest from the June portion of the 1976 heat wave was 22.7 and there were two other days warmer than that at 22.8 and 22.9, those taking place in 1817 and 1858.

It's somewhat unusual that Ireland's highest ever maximum was in June, almost all locations at similar latitudes have their absolute maximum in July or August. Perhaps this is a reflection of the fact that warmth in June is more likely to be associated with southeast flow while in July the hottest days occur when there is a south to southwest flow. Perhaps a day in July with a southeast flow and similar uppers to today would break the record but that has never taken place.

Just for comparison, the hottest days at Toronto were July 8 to 10 of 1936 (all hit 105 F as was then the standard) and at Vancouver (YVR) the hottest day in a shorter period of record (1937 to present) was July 30, 2009 (35 C). I would be interested if anyone happens to know of any other location at comparable latitudes with a June (or s.h. December) absolute maximum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Tell me this you people that are in the "No" , Will the Sea water be warming up significantly with this weather. I'm talking specifically about Wexford where from the 1st July last year it was absolutely Baltic. I'm hoping by the 7th July THIS year it will be comfortable enough to swim in. Am I hoping for too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    When I put Galway into their County weather

http://archive.met.ie/Default.asp?LW=Galway

Archive site, maybe taking an average for the whole county. Coastal fringes might bring down that average. The new site gives very detailed forecasts for specific locations.

I noted in our contest thread yesterday that Shannon had a daily mean temperature of 23.1 which is higher than the maximum for June in the 246 year period of record for the CET (Central England temperature series). That maximum was 23.0 from 3 June 1947. The highest from the June portion of the 1976 heat wave was 22.7 and there were two other days warmer than that at 22.8 and 22.9, those taking place in 1817 and 1858.

It's somewhat unusual that Ireland's highest ever maximum was in June, almost all locations at similar latitudes have their absolute maximum in July or August. Perhaps this is a reflection of the fact that warmth in June is more likely to be associated with southeast flow while in July the hottest days occur when there is a south to southwest flow. Perhaps a day in July with a southeast flow and similar uppers to today would break the record but that has never taken place.

Just for comparison, the hottest days at Toronto were July 8 to 10 of 1936 (all hit 105 F as was then the standard) and at Vancouver (YVR) the hottest day in a shorter period of record (1937 to present) was July 30, 2009 (35 C). I would be interested if anyone happens to know of any other location at comparable latitudes with a June (or s.h. December) absolute maximum.

I must have missed that part of your post. Amazing statistic!

Tell me this you people that are in the "No" , Will the Sea water be warming up significantly with this weather. I'm talking specifically about Wexford where from the 1st July last year it was absolutely Baltic. I'm hoping by the 7th July THIS year it will be comfortable enough to swim in. Am I hoping for too much?

Maybe not (hoping for too much) if the spell continues, perhaps deep water readings will be 1-2 deg higher but shallow water near shore can heat up faster until there are changes in the weather patterns to mix that water more, and it helps also if the air temperatures are much warmer as that part of your body above the water line is staying comfortably warm.

But it may not be enough to overcome the actual water temperatures that will exist by that time, you'll have to check it out and report back.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I must have missed that part of your post. Amazing statistic!

The five-station grid had an IMT of 20.9 C. That is 7.3 degrees above the June average and probably 6.5 or so above the 27 June average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

just saw this on twitter
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BkkZ3cVg...=1092licjvn5oq

my weather app says 28

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I've noticed there can be confusion about forecasts when you have a city and a county with the same names. Some readers of some forecasts apply one to the other in both directions. I guess without doing a formal search, Galway and Waterford would be most likely to be problematic, other examples may not have the same spread in sea breeze generated differentials.

No 31 yet on the hourly, but six at 30 for 1500h -- Athenry, Claremorris, Gurteen, Moorepark, Mountdillon and Shannon. 29 at Oak Park.

We have similar issues in Cork MT. By way of immediate illustration the 3pm reports show a 8c difference between Moorepark (mid north Cork) and Roches Point (south east Cork). And they aren't that far apart by County Cork standards (about 50km as the crow flies). From the Beara Peninsula (SW Cork) to Mitchelstown (NE Cork) is ca. 150km as the crow flies so you can get serious variations here - and yet the weather reports simply say Cork leaving you wondering is it Cork City or the county generally.

It's still remarkable that we have managed to reach 30c or more because this has happened in Ireland in June for only 2 other years, 1976 and 1995, since 1940.

• Advertisement

Moorepark at 30 is impressive, well beating its previous record of 26 as sryan pointed out! About 29/30 in Cork City aswell if my temps is correct. Warmer then yesterday, (although car said 35 lol..)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Nullschool Earth map shows a nice looking version of NOAA's Sea Surface Temperature (SST) data:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/ocean/surface/currents/overlay=sea_surface_temp/orthographic=-4.57,53.09,2992/loc=-6.036,52.019

Currently the surface temps just off the coast of Wexford appear to be around 16.6C.

You can also switch into SSTA mode which shows you the difference from average SST (called Sea Surface Temperature Anomaly). That same spot off Wexford is about 3.2C warmer than it usually is this time of year (a pattern that holds true for most of the Irish coast, it would seem).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Come on with the 1600 reports!!

Shannon 32 at 4 pm

Shannon 32 at 4 pm

1.4 more degrees please!

The point taken about Cork, in fact I should have had them in my post. How many counties in Ireland don't have a town with the same name as the county? The ones that come to mind (and I might be unaware of some really small places that contradict my assumptions) are Louth, Roscommon, Mayo, Clare, Kerry (not confident on that one), Laois (aware of Leixlip and Portlaoise), Offaly, Meath and Westmeath. All the others (in the Republic) have a town or city and usually it's the largest one except for Tipperary and Donegal (OTTOMH). Bonus points if you can decode OTTOMH. Oh wait a minute there is no top of my head.

Then I thought of Kildare and drawing a blank, seems there might be a Kildare town? Too early in my day to get after that.

Gurteen and Claremorris still 30 at 4 pm.Oak Park 29.

1.4 more degrees please!

It's a rounded 32, so somewhere between 31.5 and 32.4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The point taken about Cork, in fact I should have had them in my post. How many counties in Ireland don't have a town with the same name as the county? The ones that come to mind (and I might be unaware of some really small places that contradict my assumptions) are Louth, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry (not confident on that one), Laois (aware of Leixlip and Portlaoise), Offaly, Meath and Westmeath. All the others (in the Republic) have a town or city and usually it's the largest one except for Tipperary and Donegal (OTTOMH). Bonus points if you can decode OTTOMH. Oh wait a minute there is no top of my head.

Then I thought of Kildare and drawing a blank, seems there might be a Kildare town? Too early in my day to get after that.

There is a kildare town alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The point taken about Cork, in fact I should have had them in my post. How many counties in Ireland don't have a town with the same name as the county? The ones that come to mind (and I might be unaware of some really small places that contradict my assumptions) are Louth, Roscommon, Mayo, Clare, Kerry (not confident on that one), Laois (aware of Leixlip and Portlaoise), Offaly, Meath and Westmeath. All the others (in the Republic) have a town or city and usually it's the largest one except for Tipperary and Donegal (OTTOMH). Bonus points if you can decode OTTOMH. Oh wait a minute there is no top of my head.

Westmeath .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement