Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Shanon is just 0.1c off the record with 31.5c at 16:00

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The point taken about Cork, in fact I should have had them in my post. How many counties in Ireland don't have a town with the same name as the county? The ones that come to mind (and I might be unaware of some really small places that contradict my assumptions) are Louth, Roscommon, Mayo, Clare, Kerry (not confident on that one), Laois (aware of Leixlip and Portlaoise), Offaly, Meath and Westmeath. All the others (in the Republic) have a town or city and usually it's the largest one except for Tipperary and Donegal (OTTOMH). Bonus points if you can decode OTTOMH. Oh wait a minute there is no top of my head.

Then I thought of Kildare and drawing a blank, seems there might be a Kildare town? Too early in my day to get after that.

There's a Roscommon town and a Kildare town.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

temp_uk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon exact at 4 pm is 31.5 °C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It's a pity the pipes feeding the city are like sieves.

Probably need investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The point taken about Cork, in fact I should have had them in my post. How many counties in Ireland don't have a town with the same name as the county? The ones that come to mind (and I might be unaware of some really small places that contradict my assumptions) are Louth, Roscommon, Mayo, Clare, Kerry (not confident on that one), Laois (aware of Leixlip and Portlaoise), Offaly, Meath and Westmeath. All the others (in the Republic) have a town or city and usually it's the largest one except for Tipperary and Donegal (OTTOMH). Bonus points if you can decode OTTOMH. Oh wait a minute there is no top of my head.

Then I thought of Kildare and drawing a blank, seems there might be a Kildare town? Too early in my day to get after that.

There is a Roscommon town, and a Kildare...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A fantastic 4pm met report, one to be saved

Shannon 31.5 degrees

then a whole host of 30s:
    Athenry 30
    Claremorris 30
    Gurteen 30
    Moore park 30
    Mt Dillon 30
    Newport 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Shannon 32 @ 4pm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

MJohnston wrote: »
    The Nullschool Earth map shows a nice looking version of NOAA's Sea Surface Temperature (SST) data:

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/ocean/surface/currents/overlay=sea_surface_temp/orthographic=-4.57,53.09,2992/loc=-6.036,52.019

Currently the surface temps just off the coast of Wexford appear to be around 16.6C.

You can also switch into SSTA mode which shows you the difference from average SST (called Sea Surface Temperature Anomaly). That same spot off Wexford is about 3.2C warmer than it usually is this time of year (a pattern that holds true for most of the Irish coast, it would seem).

Thank you MJ and MT for your replies, that is really interesting, I will of course report back during the week of my holidays, (going on 7th July) and let you know the water temperature situation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭fjon

Zzippy wrote: »
    There is a Roscommon town, and a Kildare...
    Louth too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

It was initially believed that the unusual hot spell would break over the weekend, but Met Éireann forecaster Joanna Donnelly explained this morning that there is no sign of the current high pressure "breaking".

Temperatures topped 30C in parts of the country yesterday – and are expected to rise again today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

There is a kildare town alright!

I hope so - otherwise I'm homeless tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

454471.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

So Joanna did it again.

32c at Shannon Airport for today and a hot, blocked Summer for April Fool's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

that cloud to the NW is just a few hundred kms off now its going to make inroads by tonight to Donegal id say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Shannon exact at 4 pm is 31.5 °C.
    Met Eireann often belatedly report the temps of unofficial stations such as Ardfert, Co. Kerry or Glasnevin a while after the official ones.  It's possible that value could be topped at one of those other stations.  Climatological stations, I believe they are called.
    https://www.met.ie/climate/the-national-observing-network/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Like Dooks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Very briefly glanced 30.6c here but overall, wavering between 29.8 and 30.5c, so unlikely to reach 31c here, but given that the breeze is actually quite significant now and these temps are still being achieved, this is still a pretty remarkable reading.

Current temp: 30.1c.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Will Northern Ireland's all time record of 30.8c be surpassed today? latest reading from Thomastown 30.4c. so roughly a 50/50 chance.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

Could the temperature at Shannon still be rising or will we see it drop off now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The 31.5 reading was just the 4pm reading for Shannon. It's possible the temp exceeded that value  prior to or post 4pm.  I'm sure we'll find out shortly.  ME tweeted the maxiums shortly after 6pm yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Holding steady at 31.9c in our weather station in Shannon at the moment, lets see what met eireann has to say at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Claire6 wrote: »
    Could the temperature at Shannon still be rising or will we see it drop off now?

4pm was the peak yesterday according to this:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107379056&postcount=2027

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Claire6 wrote: »

There's barely a cloud in the sky in Ennis and no breeze to speak of. I don't see why it wouldn't keep going up for a while.

Yesterday it got a bit cloudy and slightly windy in the evening at around 5pm and that's when the temperatures started to stabilise and fall from 7pm onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Warmest day I ever remember in North Cork, it is absolutely baking warm, I’ve 2 outdoor thermometers in the shade reading above 30 DegC I’ve never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Existing record is 31.6c from 1976 so will need 31.7c to break it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

These are the June maximum temperature records for our Irish stations updated up to the 27th. Keep in mind, some of these stations only began keeping records towards the end of the 2000s.

Worth noting that Casement Aerodrome was 0.1c off equalling its June record with 27.5c yesterday (27th June 2018).

Will update again tomorrow if any records are broke on the 28th again. I'll also add Moore Park for the crack.

Station|Maximum temperature|Date
    Athenry|30.0|27th June 2018
    Belmullet|28.3|18th June 1957
    Casement Aerodrome|27.6|18th June 2000
    Claremorris|29.8|30th June 1976
    Cork Airport|27.5|30th June 1995
    Dublin Airport|27.3|8th June 1940
    Dunsany|27.4|27th June 2018
    Gurteen|29.9|27th June 2018
    Malin Head|27.2|6th June 1950
    Mt. Dillon|30.5|27th June 2018
    Mullingar|29.8|29th June 1949
    Oak Park|29.2|27th June 2018
    Phoenix Park|28.7|6th June 1950
    Shannon Airport|31.6|29th June 1976
    Valentia Observatory|28.2|27th June 2018

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

great to see Shannon at 32C.

it reached 27C briefly at my location earlier on. Just 10 miles further north Navan is reporting 29/30C, I guess being that little bit further inland helps.

• Advertisement

Top 5 max temps recorded in Shannon

31.6 - 29 June 1976
    30.7 - 30 June 1976
    30.6 - 13 July 1983
    30.3 - 29 July 1948
    30.2 - 29 June 1995 (also on 18 July 2006)

From Met Eireann.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement