Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yep I’m seeing 31.5c again for Shannon at 17:00!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yes, 31.5 at 1700.

454480.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

So it hasn't surpassed the record ? I think it was 31,6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Might still creep up 0.2C to break the record before 6pm.

There was a little 'heat surge' here in the last 20 mins which brought my temp up briefly to 31.1c, (which is now officially the highest in my personal records :)) so maybe something similar on the way in Shannon?

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

This weather is unbearable, it's just too hot to enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Is that 31.5 @ 5 and @ 4 or the max in the last hour? Could have hit 31.7 in last hour?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

From memory of reading here during 2013 and other warm spells Shannon can peak relatively late like 5-6pm.

Even if not it's added 0.7C to it's max yesterday. If it added the same tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Was hoping the record would break. Ah well, still remarkably high for Ireland and for June.

So it hasn't surpassed the record ? I think it was 31,6

I'd say it has at this stage. Probably went another few tenths between 4 and 5 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

A high of 30.1c was recorded here this afternoon in my Glasnevin back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Was hoping the record would break. Ah well, still remarkably high for Ireland and for June.

this just proves how hard it is for Ireland to break it's record temperature. i reckon our relatively small landmass surrounded by seas and it's breezes makes temperatures above 30C, a complete struggle in this country, even in perfect conditions such as the current spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The sea breeze seems to be broken today on the north Leinster coast.
    Its there, but its very light, the lightest its been all week.
    Its noticeably warmer than yesterday, and shock to the system!
    This time yesterday in Balbriggan, it was 19C, today its hovering around 24C

The June 1887 record of 33.3C looks almost untouchable! Sryan and others will know but it must have had an exceptional lead up to it..

Also what sort of summer was it afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A mad 10 degree difference between Finner Donegal (28c) and Malin Head Donegal (18c).

Gonzo wrote: »
    this just proves how hard it is for Ireland to break it's record temperature. i reckon our relatively small landmass surrounded by seas and it's breezes makes temperatures above 30C, a complete struggle in this country, even in perfect conditions such as the current spell.

I think the breeze had something to do with a possible 'suppression' of temps today, at least here locally, not sure if this is a factor in other warm spots such as Shannon or Athenry though, but I reckon if it was calmer today, then temps would have got higher as there would be less 'churning' of the air so to speak.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The June 1887 record of 33.3C looks almost untouchable! Sryan and others will know but it must have had an exceptional lead up to it..

Also what sort of summer was it afterwards?
    Does the record need to be revised, in light of the location of the thermometer at the time?

Controversial post, but I've said it before. Shannon's station is prone to high temperature reports in the late afternoon and evening as it's surrounded by a huge carpark and buildings to all around eastern quadrant (I believe the circled location is the station compound).

The temperature shot up around lunchtime as the wind started from a northeasterly direction, taking in the influence of the carpark. Wind has continued easterly all afternoon, and as that carpark heats up, its hot air is of course going to advect over the station compound.

It's notable that all the other stations haven't come close to beating Shannon this week, as they're all better-sited.

454485.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Hit 30.8c here this evening, sea breeze non existent today.

Controversial post, but I've said it before. Shannon's station is prone to high temperature reports in the late afternoon and evening as it's surrounded by a huge carpark and buildings to all around eastern quadrant (I believe the circled location is the station compound).

The temperature shot up around lunchtime as the wind started from a northeasterly direction, taking in the influence of the carpark. Wind has continued easterly all afternoon, and as that carpark heats up, its hot air is of course going to advect over the station compound.

It's notable that all the other stations haven't come close to beating Shannon this week, as they're all better-sited.

454485.png

Actually not controversial at all and glad you highlighted this as was thinking the same thing myself. Was Shannon as 'concreted' back in the 70s? I haven't a clue.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Very true re Shannon - a lot of tarmac and concrete in that area plus would the emissions from the planes not add to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mrsnrub2.0

Is that rain I see on YR for Sunday?

A whole 1.0mm for Blackrock in Dublin.

Chances of this falling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

kod87 wrote: »
    This weather is unbearable, it's just too hot to enjoy.

You're Welcome!

28700901_1929887087340634_2301526597649117428_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c1dfa11a00dda35e9d301c9ef91ad0b0&oe=5BE71F9A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Driving through Durrow, the temperature gauge showing 32 celsius at 3.30pm today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Yeah it does seem surprising that somewhere near the west coast has more max records than say the Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Having hit 30 over an hour before yesterday I was expecting a record high today but didn't reach yesterdays 30.2 Hung around 30 then dropped off. Still 28°C though.

454489.png

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

mrsnrub2.0 wrote: »
    Is that rain I see on YR for Sunday?

A whole 1.0mm for Blackrock in Dublin.

Chances of this falling?

There's a very shallow depression to our south which is slowly creeping northward. When I say depression, this thing has heights which would usually could as lovely high pressure with clear skies for us at this time of year, but it's lower in comparison than the insanely high pressure which is currently dominating our weather. In other words, it only counts as a "depression" in the sense that a million euro is "small" compared with a billion.

As far as I know, this essentially gives rise to the very real and lovely possibility of thunderstorms, which would likely be the source of any rainfall over those couple of days. But others could correct me on that.

gfs-0-72.png?12

The Shannon station environs really put a question mark over the 6 One News 'Hottest Day since 1976' headline.

July 2013, August 1995, July 2006 could have legit claims. You'd have to look at stats from this spell, bar Shannon, versus those dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

It’s difficult to push through 90F with the geography of Ireland. As I mentioned before, I think 850’s need to be at about 20c with 1000-850 partial thickness probably in excess of 141dam at the same time. Winds need the longest land track (or either zero wind). Just my thoughts

I personally question the 1887 record. The uppers shown on historical charts don’t really support 33c. And while the equipment might have been sound, the standards by which the equipment might have been located to avoid influences may not have been fully sound.

Also, how did they calibrate the equipment back then? How can we be sure it was calibrated to a standard equivalent to modern day?

Shannon 31.4 at 6 pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

sryanbruen wrote:

Dito, although the '33 & a 1/3 Celcius' record is too good to lose:).

It is just beyond midsummer and sun is having a strong influence on the reduced delta between max and min. temperatures. It wouldnt be unusual to peak in early to mid July on the continent tbh. Maybe I was too long away to remember our cycle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement