Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The June 1887 record of 33.3C looks almost untouchable! Sryan and others will know but it must have had an exceptional lead up to it..

Also what sort of summer was it afterwards?

Just back in from the pool and basking in this beautiful weather again. Looking at Phoenix Park's maximum temperatures for Summer 1887, July looks like another quite warm month with lots of 20c+ days (but no really high temperature days if you get me) and August looks fairly decent too especially the first few days. It becomes more changeable in temperatures at Phoenix Park after that week.

In terms of the data for the England and Wales Precipitation (EWP) and Central England Temperature (CET), these were the values for Summer 1887 with CETs in brackets.

June - 20.8 (15.3)
    July - 38.1 (17.3)
    August - 53.4 (15.7)

Summer 1887 looks exceptionally dry from this data - and it was, 1887 in general was one of the driest years on record in the UK and Ireland including at Phoenix Park. 1887 holds the Irish record for lowest annual rainfall total to this day too. July looks similar to 2014 in terms of temperature whilst August appears more average for the CET but still relatively drier than average.

A decent Summer!

Data comes from the UK Met Office.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    this just proves how hard it is for Ireland to break it's record temperature. i reckon our relatively small landmass surrounded by seas and it's breezes makes temperatures above 30C, a complete struggle in this country, even in perfect conditions such as the current spell.

It's more frustrating than anything especially given how the UK has beaten its record three times since 1900 in 1911, 1990 and 2003 yet Ireland hasn't since 1887.

I do think we need a more even distribution of stations. Boora, Co. Offaly holds the second highest temperature record of 32.5c on 29th June 1976. This station and Birr were unfortunately closed. These kind of stations usually get the extremes, not stations like Mace Head, Sherkin Island around the coast etc.
    The Shannon station environs really put a question mark over the 6 One News 'Hottest Day since 1976' headline.

July 2013, August 1995, July 2006 could have legit claims. You'd have to look at stats from this spell, bar Shannon, versus those dates.

You were right about July 2006 being forgotten. I can tell you that Summer 2006 would be remembered far more if it weren't for August 2006 being such a spanner in the works (the first of many to come afterwards unfortunately). 32.3c on 19th July 2006 is the third highest temperature on record for Ireland and today most certainly didn't beat that so the headlines are statistically false! It was the hottest day for June alright since 1976 but not the hottest day overall - if so, it was the hottest day since 2006.
    glightning wrote: »
    It’s difficult to push through 90F with the geography of Ireland. As I mentioned before, I think 850’s need to be at about 20c with 1000-850 partial thickness probably in excess of 141dam at the same time. Winds need the longest land track (or either zero wind). Just my thoughts

I personally question the 1887 record. The uppers shown on historical charts don’t really support 33c. And while the equipment might have been sound, the standards by which the equipment might have been located to avoid influences may not have been fully sound.

Also, how did they calibrate the equipment back then? How can we be sure it was calibrated to a standard equivalent to modern day?

I find it amusing how 1887 is the only year in history for Ireland to have a higher annual maximum temperature than the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Something wrong with Ogimet this evening. Can't get the 18Z synops so can't see the max temps. Strange that Met Éireann haven't tweeted it yet either.

All I have is that Aldergrove's max was 29.5.

EDIT: Problem with the NOAA ftp

https://twitter.com/UnisysWeather/status/1012386494353461249
    NOUS42 KWNO 281752
    ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
    NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
    1750Z THU JUN 28 2018

The problem impacting IDP College Park was found and corrected.
    Some IDP services were failed over to Boulder such as MRMS,
    ftps-in, and TGFTP. We`re still assessing the health of remaining
    IDP applications and services in College Park to ensure all are
    functioning normally.

Handel/SDM/NCO/NCEP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

22 degrees for us down here at 1am? God! Chances of that?

It's been around 1 to 2 degrees over for the last few days, this is still 114hrs out too. Could be 15 degrees and raining

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I too question the record over 100 years ago and don't think it's validity should go without question
    Why, because uppers in the archives don't back up the 1887 record?
    How could 850hpa temperatures be recorded accurately in 1887 when meteorology in those days was so primitive?
    Why would 19th century meteorologists even be interested in temperatures at 1500m?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

A bit off topic but I feel like I need to thank all the contributors in here for their yet again perfect predictions and forecasts.

Ye were spot on with the snow, spot on with the thunderstorms and spot on with this spell of weather.

I took a gamble based on your advanced information and took this week off work, and boy am I happy I did.

So, I'm sure this goes for a lot of us here, thanks again. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

County Kilkenny as a whole has great topography for high and low temperatures, the edges of the county are surrounded by hills that rise over 1,000ft/300m, while Klkenny city which holds the record is 197ft/60m asl.
    So the county has high sides and a flat lower centre, saucer shaped county.
    This is why Kilkenny often made the weather news in the forecasts.
    The western hills often keep the county drier too as they do seem to kill showers when we are in a dry regime.
    I'm biased but I think it is one of the top counties for weather events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

According the RTE news summary just there, 'Ireland has experienced its hottest day in over 40 years". A bit sensationalist surely? Sure, Shannon has, and maybe a few other stations in the west, but 'Ireland'? Pretty sure eastern areas especially experienced warmer temps in 2013 than they did today.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    According the RTE news summary just there, 'Ireland has experienced its hottest day in over 40 years". A bit sensationalist surely? Sure, Shannon has, and maybe a few other stations in the west, but 'Ireland'? Pretty sure eastern areas especially experienced warmer temps in 2013 than they did today.

32.3c at Elphin on 19th July 2006. Need not I say more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

I know but it wasn’t just RTE it was actually Met Eireann too. Gerry himself said it was the hottest since 1976.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

sryanbruen wrote: »
    32.0c it is!

On a par with the infamous '76!

Hope this cools down for a while, and then reloads! A bit of rain would be welcome beforehand though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I would welcome a torrential warm downpour right now.

One of the things I loved on holiday was getting soaked in warm rain, then dry off over the next 30 mins!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My average highest temperature for the past 5 days - Sunday to Thursday inclusive is 29.4C.
    It has been a hotter period than 2013 here in Kilkenny, confirmed by both my own weather station and that of Kilkennyweather.com where in the city it has been hotter than 2013.

pad199207 wrote: »
    I know but it wasn’t just RTE it was actually Met Eireann too. Gerry himself said it was the hottest since 1976.

Perhaps when all of the max temps around the country are 'averaged out' into a national mean (IMT style) then probably could be the hottest day nationally alright.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

just to warn people living in the Northwest.

Dont be surprised if its cloudy tomorroe

Met Eireann mustnt look at Sat24 as they dont mention

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So why didn't Gerry make reference to that this evening then? He did say the Shannon temperature today is the highest in Ireland since 1976.

So why didn't Gerry make reference to that this evening then? He did say the Shannon temperature today is the highest in Ireland since 1976.

He was referring to June specifically most likely. Just wish he said that. Even Joanna mentioned that Elphin record on the Six O'Clock Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Notable that the next highest max of all the other stations (30.2) was lower than yesterday's (30.5).

Yeah he really must mean June specifically. Carlow (Oak Park) recorded 32.3c on 14th July 1983.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,155 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is an airport a good place to take temperature. Would the hot gasses from the 100's of airliners not have any effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Notable that the next highest max of all the other stations (30.2) was lower than yesterday's (30.5).

Slightly higher than yesterday in Claremorris and Athenry. (30.2)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

I find it amusing how 1887 is the only year in history for Ireland to have a higher annual maximum temperature than the UK.

Ireland was part of the UK then ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

smokie72 wrote: »
    Ireland was part of the UK then ;-)

Steady on, gentlemen...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

I like the warm weather but 29/30 degrees in mid summer in Ireland can feel uncomfortable, kinda looking forward for the temperature to drop a little to the mid twenties. Talk is that even if there is a breakdown it will be a brief one, could be a memorable summer weather wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Maybe Shannon today was 32.4 at some point? I’m sure they know all the stats.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Maybe Shannon today was 32.4 at some point? I’m sure they know all the stats.

If Shannon Airport was 32.4 at some point, Met Éireann would report it in their tweet that I posted here........

I know I'm sounding so pedantic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Very pleasant tonight, sitting outside in the shade at 26C.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Yeah he really must mean June specifically. Carlow (Oak Park) recorded 32.3c on 14th July 1983.

I wonder is it the case that Gerry was rounding down the temp. figure to 32c and disregarding the .3c from those two dates? After all the average RTE viewer or listener might not be interested in the precise figure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement