Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

pauldry wrote: »
    just to warn people living in the Northwest.

Dont be surprised if its cloudy tomorroe

Met Eireann mustnt look at Sat24 as they dont mention

Not for the first time...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I wonder is it the case that Gerry was rounding down the temp. figure to 32c and disregarding the .3c from those two dates? After all the average RTE viewer or listener might not be interested in the precise figure.

Fair point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If Shannon Airport was 32.4 at some point, Met Éireann would report it in their tweet that I posted here........

I know I'm sounding so pedantic here.

They could also be taking an average of all the stations. Overall, it could be hotter than that 2006 day. There were a lot of 30s today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

_Dara_ wrote: »
    They could also be taking an average of all the stations. Overall, it could be hotter than that 2006 day. There were a lot of 30s today.

I will try and compare myself tomorrow once all the data is in provided the stations will differ somewhat. Another 30c I know off the top of my head from that day was 31.0c at Casement Aerodrome.

It will still be interesting to compare the two days.

EDIT: If I can, I'll also do 14th July 1983.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I never knew that this meme would become so useful again.

IMG_20180628_205540.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Is an airport a good place to take temperature. Would the hot gasses from the 100's of airliners not have any effect?

Shannon Airport wouldn't have anything like hundreds of airliners in any single day. Exhaust gases from the aircraft operating in and out of Shannon would have zero effect on the air temperature at the met station there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The highest IMT daily mean (which is the mean of 11 stations, coastal and inland)I can find since 2007 is that of the 20th July 2013, when a figure of 20.6 was recorded in this series. Will be interesting to see how tomorrow's figure compares.

New Moon

'The mercury hit 32c in the small Co. Clare town' - RTE News.

head-banging.gif

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Temperatures looking very similar tomorrow. An E'ly breeze would help give an extra degree or so here near Tralee. Mostly clear skies again. A good scattering of 30's again maybe getting a 31C or 32C .

7236_snb3.png

aromehd-41-27-0_vpy0.png

hirlamuk-41-27-0_hcw1.png

hirlamuk-3-27-0_rsb2.png

tempresult_xmq8.gif

tempresult_njf2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

I just lost all power.

Don't know what has caused this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Shannon 9pm reading was 28C!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

26.4c here in West Clare at the moment, pleasant outside but sickening inside!

Max of 30.3c today, Max of 30.7c yesterday. Getting 2 30+ days in a row is in itself a very unusual event.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 12Z Similar to yesterday. Again seems to under predict by 1C or so.

m8YrkPd.png

v4CCIMo.png

QBhGpIi.png

Rdfix76.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Now there's a chart.

2a4e63ec2adb0a6a9885a5d6ab29a82e.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some thoughts about the validity of the 1887 reading. ...

There is no current station right in the same location, so we can't directly compare.

Many comments about the uppers in 1887, but as I said the other day, those are reconstructed and not measured, you can't be that sure the reconstruction is even close to being accurate on 850 mb temps.

My understanding is that the location was in the city of Kilkenny. Now that may have been a smaller place in 1887 but urban heat islands affect daytime readings as well as overnight lows, and relatively small urban areas have heat islands of 1-2 deg daytime and 2-4 deg night.

On the pro side of the debate, many readings in the 19th century were taken on north walls and read from open windows in buildings. To some extent the bias there is actually cooler, but the specifics of this location and its exposure should be researched to find out what sort of readings they had in general. One way to compare might be to get a series from several different warm spells where you have a more reliable location closer to Dublin, then compare Dublin vs Oak Park in a modern warm spell.

I don't think there's any way to know what the 33.3 C reading really means. Same with the car park at Shannon issue, some might say, well half the country lives in an urban area with a lot more tarmac and concrete around than Shannon airport, so what's the real issue? Comparison to past data. But I remember landing then taking off from Shannon in 1978 on holiday (the plane was picking up more passengers on a Gatwick to Toronto flight) and all I remember was runways and car parks. We didn't get off the plane that time but on that same holiday we did arrive at Shannon and deplane, but I was jetlagged and don't remember anything of that except the car rental girl was cute (hi Kelly name made up).

oh also it was the end of June and about 14 C and maybe 8 C with wind chill. The times, they are a changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Funny today Markree was a lot colder than Sligo town.

Had to go to Collooney twice and both times temperature went from 30c to 27c. Its now 26c in Sligo but 23c in Markree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still 23.8C in Castlebar, temperatures have been falling a bit more slowly here this evening, the humidity thankfully is also rising a lot more slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

On the weekend. Saturday will be another mid to high twenties day (highest in the west), Sunday looks mid twenties as highs at the moment. Mostly dry but there is a risk of one or two thunderstorms in toward the south coast but far from certain even at this stage. Other than that over much of the country it looks to remain dry.

Continuing very warm in to the early days of next week as well. Any showers in the south pulling away on Monday and a continuing southeast breeze.

The models differ a lot with regards to precipitation for Sat. Some have none, ECM showing rain later in the W. The WRF showing the most and gives the best potential for thunderstorms with a nice convergence showing up. Met Eireann mentions a few showers may affect Western areas. Will take more runs to be sure.

nmmuk-1-54-0_qpy0.png

nmmuk-5-51-0_kni4.png

nmmuk-28-54-0_rvy6.png

nmmuk-3-53-0_axf7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Temperatures seems to be dropping a lot slower this evening. Bit of humidity building back too.

23c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

27.3 here in Galway now (approaching 10pm). Dropped below 28 at around 9pm.

Today maxed out at 30.7, marginally below yesterday (30.9)

http://www.galwaycityweather.com/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

In all my life I’ve never remembered weather like this, it’s unreal. (I’m 43) Just unreal, it’s just like being on holidays but even better :)
    Everyone is in such good form :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Bank.

454502.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Can see thundery trough approaching south coast on Sunday here.

fax72s.gif?2

Also some very warm air off the continent

ECMOPEU12_72_2.png

But again some models as Meteorite says have this activity further south and not really effecting the country at all. Definitely need another day to sort.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Still 24.4c in Waterford City. Indoor temp close to 30c. Thankfully humidity levels still low so a quick walk in the garden brings some relief.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

much warmer this evening than other evenings here too. Temps here still 21C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

A thundery breakdown for a couple of days followed by a reload of the Azores high isn't too much to ask is it? It's 2018 after all, the year that keeps giving.

Just did a 'zoom in' on google maps on Shannon Met station and sure is near a carpark, but.... given that the tarmac of the car park is quite dark in colour, will this really have much of an effect? as darker colours, and especially black and dark grey, absorb heat rather than reflect it back away from them. Indeed, I read before that some UK Met Officers recommended painting the inside of a Stevenson screen black to prevent any chance of excess heat being reflected back onto the thermometer.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There are some beautiful cloud formations just like someone ran a comb through them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just did a 'zoom in' on google maps on Shannon Met station and sure is near a carpark, but.... given that the tarmac of the car park is quite dark in colour, will this really have much of an effect? as darker colours, and especially black and dark grey, absorb heat rather than reflect it back away from them. Indeed, I read before that some UK Met Officers recommended painting the inside of a Stevenson screen black to prevent any chance of excess heat being reflected back onto the thermometer.

AFAIK it doesn't work like that. The black surface absorbs the radiation and heats up, thus heating up the air above it. A white surface will reflect the radiation back into space.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement