Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Akrasia wrote: »
    So when they originally said that it was only 31.6, were they adjusting it down to account for the car park behind the station?

I'm not sure sorry. Perhaps somebody else will be able to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As others have said the sunset tonight was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's 11:30, it's dark and there's a dead still heat outside. 23.8c, not something I thought I'd ever experience in Ireland at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm

Shannon 22 degrees
    Mace head 22 degrees
    Knock 22 degrees
    Ballyhaise 22 degrees
    Newport 21 degrees
    Athenry 21 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's 11:30, it's dark and there's a dead still heat outside. 23.8c, not something I thought I'd ever experience in Ireland at this time.
    I'm a regular follower of this thread. Winter and summer. I'd like to commend the lads that call it so accurately. My question is.. Has the jet stream slowed down to such an extent that its wabbles ( for want of a better way of describing it) are not as deep causing us to get below it? Are we responsible?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    As others have said the sunset tonight was superb.

Beautiful night indeed, long slow sunset with colours glowing on the horizon for well over 2 hours now.

17C now here near Tralee

Pic about 21.45 Kerry

mNdryLC.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Yep very uncomfortable tonight. I am rarely bothered by the heat and sleeping but tonight is like being on the continent and the air conditioning broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Very very orange/pink sky off the west coast now. beautiful

Only word that comes to mind is 'ethereal'. Not a cloud in the sky but this is one of the most magical twilight skies I have ever seen.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Went for a couple of pints tonight.

Just home - 27.3 outside and 23.2 indoors with all the upstairs windows open. My face is tingling and I know sleep is going to be elusive tonight - even after the pints! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yep very uncomfortable tonight. I am rarely bothered by the heat and sleeping but tonight is like being on the continent and the air conditioning broken.
    Same here the heat is stifling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

navgem-8-96.png?29-01

Night all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Yep. First night of this heatwave here in Bray where my Velux open and Fan mere inches from my back will not help much when it comes to sleep.

My Hive Thermostats tell me its 23.9ºc Upstairs and 22.8ºc Downstairs and my Attic Bedroom is about 3 degrees warmer again at about 26º

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Comhra wrote: »
    Went for a couple of pints tonight.

Just home - 27.3 outside and 23.2 indoors with all the upstairs windows open. My face is tingling and I know sleep is going to be elusive tonight - even after the pints! :o
    Would it be the fact that our houses are now starting to hold onto the heat we are after getting the last few days...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Heat tonight is horrible - the humidity has gone up too so it's just deeply unpleasant.

The worst thing about hot weather in Ireland when you're not a heat-lover is that you feel utterly trapped by it. At least when it's cold, you can stick the heating on, light a fire, put extra layers on or whatever. There's no escaping this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thought I was actually doing so well this week with coping with the lovely heat.

Tonight Dead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Can’t see myself sleeping tonight! Humid, sweaty and warm in my home. Still 21 degrees outside apperantly

Darn these heat trapping houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

People at work giving out about how come we have no heat problems on holidays, told them we have air conditioned hotel rooms, we go to the beach or pool to relax have a few beers back to our lovely cool room for a nice sleep, here we can't avoid the heat it's all over the place and no escape from it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

We have a bunch of heat-reflective panels that we normally use on the outside of our campervan windows - I'll be very tempted to stick them on our windows upstairs if this continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

It's warm alright. I went for a run at 22.30hrs and the sweat was pouring off me.

Had a nice shower and have cooled down a lot ince, and am finding this heat bearable as a result of cooling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    I'm a regular follower of this thread. Winter and summer. I'd like to commend the lads that call it so accurately. My question is.. Has the jet stream slowed down to such an extent that its wabbles ( for want of a better way of describing it) are not as deep causing us to get below it? Are we responsible?

I know some people have commented in recent years that we seem to get 'locked' into certain patterns more often than in the past, not sure if there's any actual proof behind it but it does seem very unusual that easterlies have been so dominant since March.

In March the easterlies were caused by the jet dropping well to the south with short lived highs to our north east (supposedly caused by a record SSW), since mid April there's been near constant high pressure over or near Scandanavia driving in the easterlies and for whatever reason, the Atlantic hasn't been able to dislodge the high.

We can probably trace it all back to the SSW though I'm far fairly clueless on climactic drivers though so I'll leave that up to others to comment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Tonight is the most uncomfortable i have felt, in the last hour so it feels like it got warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I feel like I'm back in 1975/76 again,but just 43 years older.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

When you consider that the midnight temp at Mace Head is only 11c short of the overall record, it doesn't make the 1887 figure seem all that impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

so nice outside,i could sleep in it, beautiful yellow moon rose over the mountains,gentle warm breeze from the northeast.

the nostalgic archive footage of the 76 heatwave on RTE news this evening made me aware what a different country this place was,a man riding on a donkey and cart,thatched white washed cottages,a young man in flares and a mullet carrying water from a local village pump tap.incredible.

the uv light is so intense that the footage of ireland taken around the country today makes it look very not like ireland,which makes me understand why mediternean countries always appear more sexy and exotic,the contrast in the colours is intoxicating,george lee was standing on a sun scortched patch of grass under a beautiful bridge in kilkenny,the facades of the buildings behind him in a lovely luke warm yellow,with the castle in the background against powder blue ozone,it could have been venice,the country just looks fantastic in this light.

meanwhile the west of ireland holds its head up high again today
    with renowed hot spots.

[IMG][/img]35jz9rc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I didn't sleep great last night and it's worse tonight. There's just no air of any kind out there. Upstairs is very stuffy in my house even with windows open this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

22.3c in West Clare, and the weather station doesn't lie. I've never experienced this sort of night time heat in Ireland before, and I don't particularly want to again. Indoor temperature of 27.7c, and that's after a significant attempt to get it down from 29.0c earlier. I love the heat but those sort of night time temperatures belong to a med climate, not our Irish houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Still 20.5 degrees here in Tramore,

No wind, place is calm, and boy is it still hot for this hour.

While I will find it hard to get some sleep, I am loving these temps, long may they last :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Shannon still at 20.5c at 1am, that is crazy!

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1012493199217233922?s=21

• Advertisement

Jeez I came on to Boards cos I can’t sleep..... then I found this thread . It’s at least 2 hours past my sleep time but I’m wide awake with the heat ! I love the weather but this kind of heat at night is really very unusual.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement