Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

so nice outside,i could sleep in it, beautiful yellow moon rose over the mountains,gentle warm breeze from the northeast.

the nostalgic archive footage of the 76 heatwave on RTE news this evening made me aware what a different country this place was,a man riding on a donkey and cart,thatched white washed cottages,a young man in flares and a mullet carrying water from a local village pump tap.incredible.

the uv light is so intense that the footage of ireland taken around the country today makes it look very not like ireland,which makes me understand why mediternean countries always appear more sexy and exotic,the contrast in the colours is intoxicating,george lee was standing on a sun scortched patch of grass under a beautiful bridge in kilkenny,the facades of the buildings behind him in a lovely luke warm yellow,with the castle in the background against powder blue ozone,it could have been venice,the country just looks fantastic in this light.

meanwhile the west of ireland holds its head up high again today
    with renowed hot spots.

[IMG][/img]35jz9rc.jpg

Seville at 17 degrees seems nuts, must have been thunderstorms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

On the question of the heating of Shannon carpark, darker surfaces are worse than lighter ones and will heat up to much higher temperatures (50-60 °C, as mentioned). This certainly does heat the air above it very efficiently. That's how the air warms up in general anyway. The ground absorbs solar shortwave radiation, warming up and emitting longwave (IR), which heats the air. Even a station surrounded by grass still warms up due to the heating of the ground, it's just that with a tarmac surface, that heating is much greater.

This problem is so great that Los Angeles is painting its roads a white colour to try to combat daytime urban heat islands.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-angeles-is-painting-some-of-its-streets-white-and-the-reasons-why-are-pretty-cool/

Tomorrow when you're walking by parked cars, touch the bonnets and see how much hotter the dark ones are than the light ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

What's the story on best way to keep a room cool in this heat? I'm more or less living in a West facing box room and it's insufferable tonight. My GP printed off HSE advice on the heat for me today and it recommends keeping windows shut during the day. This seems counterintuitive and I fear it would be stifling with no air, but presumably this is sound advice? So should I keep them closed tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It depends on how your house is constructed.

Keep the blinds shut during peak sunshine hours as a lot of the heat is direct radiation.

I can't get this house below 27.4°C tonight. I've all the windows open and fans on ansnirs still roaring hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mace Head lowest temp was 18.9c overnight!!

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1012567466801803267?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭Inviere

Disaster of a night trying to sleep, so humid, sticky and warm :( Fan on constantly through the night but was like having a hairdryer on given how warm the air was!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ah janey Folks it's just after clicking 20°C at 7 am, overnight low of 16.8°C.

This time yesterday it was around 15.....(Roscrea)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Overnight low of 18.2c here in West Clare, and it's currently back to 20.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

What's the story on best way to keep a room cool in this heat? I'm more or less living in a West facing box room and it's insufferable tonight. My GP printed off HSE advice on the heat for me today and it recommends keeping windows shut during the day. This seems counterintuitive and I fear it would be stifling with no air, but presumably this is sound advice? So should I keep them closed tomorrow?

Actually this is what my future mother in-law mentioned to my fiancée. She said to close the curtains and windows during the day and open at night. The apartment building or home will heat up over the days anyway but the first day should be the coolest.

When I was living in S.Korea I had air con on quite a bit but turned it off at night because it was above the bed.

Keep hydrated folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford city - 17.5 low, 21 now. Didn't quite reach 30 here yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Don't know how I will keep awake at work today such a bad night sleep. I think I managed 3 hours last night which it above average for me since the end of May.

The power was out from 9 to 11 last night so could use the fans to cool off the bedrooms.

I have a cold Cider in the fridge waiting for me after all this stress from the heat.

Mace Head's overnight minimum was 18.8 °C and is already 20.4 at 7 am.

Shannon's minimum was 15.5, and it was 16.8 at 7 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Dense fog here in Donegal. Clothes on the line are a bit damp but I expect that'll change soon

Shannon's temperature graph for yesterday, showing that little spike at 16:15..

454543.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Joanna mentioning showers pushing up from the south on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It’s unbelievable when you look at the monthly data on met eireann for rainfall. Dublin airport has experienced just 23mm of rain from 1st May - 28th June. That is ridiculous, 4mm in June.

It feels so strange driving around dublin and the grass is yellow / brown. The outlook for dublin anyway is dry for the whole week ahead and in the low to mid 20s.

Interestingly dublin only had 660mm of rain in the whole of 2017. That is a lot lower than a lot of European capitals. Some parts of Ireland experience around 2,000mm per year. It’s a massive contrast given the relatively small size of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

On the question of the heating of Shannon carpark, darker surfaces are worse than lighter ones and will heat up to much higher temperatures (50-60 °C, as mentioned). This certainly does heat the air above it very efficiently. That's how the air warms up in general anyway. The ground absorbs solar shortwave radiation, warming up and emitting longwave (IR), which heats the air. Even a station surrounded by grass still warms up due to the heating of the ground, it's just that with a tarmac surface, that heating is much greater.

This problem is so great that Los Angeles is painting its roads a white colour to try to combat daytime urban heat islands.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/los-angeles-is-painting-some-of-its-streets-white-and-the-reasons-why-are-pretty-cool/

Tomorrow when you're walking by parked cars, touch the bonnets and see how much hotter the dark ones are than the light ones.

I do think the nearly 2c difference between Shannon and the likes of Athenry is odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    I'm a regular follower of this thread. Winter and summer. I'd like to commend the lads that call it so accurately. My question is.. Has the jet stream slowed down to such an extent that its wabbles ( for want of a better way of describing it) are not as deep causing us to get below it? Are we responsible?

The reason for the jet stream slowing down is courtesy of a few things. Firstly, the Sudden Stratospheric Warming event that occurred in February can be to blame because it gave away to record breaking zonal wind reversions and this can be shown by the Scandinavian block retrogressing to Greenland and then North America giving away to record breaking March/April snow and cold to them. The zonal winds did not reassert themselves and intensify to back above average before the time of year (mid-April) when they start to reverse anyway and become weak. The zonal winds could not do much thanks to the time of year and going back to the SSW event in February which caused a very early severe (more like May to June standards) reversion in our normal zonal winds.

The reversion in zonal winds has also led to an unusual Atlantic SST profile since February with a cold pool of SSTs in the shape of a horseshoe. These cold SSTs include out to the west of Ireland, south of Greenland, west of Iberia and through the tropics. Why is this? When the high pressure is over Scandinavia and sending easterlies to us, the Atlantic circulation causes the winds to come down from the Arctic in the Atlantic which is why this has happened. These cold SSTs in the way they're aligned in the North Atlantic promote blocking over us and or Scandinavia along with the fact that solar activity is at very low levels, solar activity could be promoting the blocking too (just happens we're on the right side of the block this time).

As we get into Autumn, the Polar Vortex will start to reintensify and this will continue into Winter. It's a matter of will the cold SSTs continue to be able to fend off the normal zonal flow and blocking will still occur over Scandinavia or us? I have a feeling that Autumn might be much more unsettled but I also have a hunch that the pattern will end up in our favour for cold for Winter helped by solar activity.

June maximum temperature records for our Irish stations updated up to the 28th.

I've added a previous highest column too.

Station|Maximum temperature|Date|Previous highest|Date
    Athenry|30.2|28th June 2018|30.0|27th June 2018
    Belmullet|28.3|18th June 1957||
    Casement Aerodrome|27.6|18th June 2000||
    Claremorris|30.2|28th June 2018|29.8|30th June 1976
    Cork Airport|27.5|30th June 1995||
    Dublin Airport|27.3|8th June 1940||
    Dunsany|27.4|27th June 2018|27.0|21st June 2017
    Gurteen|29.9|27th/28th June 2018|26.2|2nd June 2009
    Malin Head|27.2|6th June 1950||
    Moore Park|30.1|28th June 2018|26.9|19th June 2017
    Mt. Dillon|30.5|27th June 2018|27.2|2nd June 2009
    Mullingar|29.8|29th June 1949||
    Oak Park|29.8|28th June 2018|29.2|27th June 2018
    Phoenix Park|28.7|6th June 1950||
    Shannon Airport|32.0|28th June 2018|31.6|29th June 1976
    Valentia Observatory|28.4|28th June 2018|28.2|27th June 2018

Data comes from Met Éireann.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Keep your curtains closed during the day, open at night with a fan pointing outwards towards an open window. It will pull warm air outwards of the room. If you're lucky like me and have another window on the opposite side of the room, add a second fan pointing inwards so you have a continuous flow of cool air through the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think today is the day that 1887 record is most likely to be broken. All eyes on Shannon between 3 and 5pm I think.

When ME are calling for maxima of 32 degrees in isolated spots of the west, then it seems likely that a couple of places will go up over 33.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Overnight low outside of 18.9 in my back garden.

23.9 now @9.20am.

Going to wear my 1976 tee-shirt today. :)

36391964_10213749262258055_263426471865876480_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeHZRJU7lmliDq-Joly3lcjrXTH-MIoLxAXZhnVHh8a8ZgoctXNSPR5ixfFjyMxXV0yBn2Gs2UNrfGmm-mfLdpkZlzVKiJiHV-0qWePjtF5yug&oh=7f361408ee329c513be783d673b7baf1&oe=5BE41D35

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Latest report for Mace Head is 24c. Very high for what I presume is a 9am reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

We have one of those baby glo eggs in the child's room for measuring temperature. Putting her to bed 9 measured 29.8 - at midnight it was 29.4 and at 2am when she woke up it was 29.0.

This morning at 8 it measured 28.4

And all those temperatures were recorded with all windows and doors open upstairs.

Just goes to show how Irish homes are designed to keep heat inside homes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Rikand wrote: »
    We have one of those baby glo eggs in the child's room for measuring temperature. Putting her to bed 9 measured 29.8 - at midnight it was 29.4 and at 2am when she woke up it was 29.0.

And all those temperatures were recorded with all windows and doors open upstairs.

Those things are faulty. Our baby monitor says the room temp is 6/7 degrees above what it actually is.

Comhra wrote: »
    Overnight low outside of 18.9 in my back garden.

23.9 now @9.20am.

Going to wear my 1976 tee-shirt today. :)

Nice t-shirt Comhra. :)

I'd love to get one of 2018 and or 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Not sure you'll find to many people saying the same in the winter storm warning threads :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Insulation keeps heat in and keeps heat out.

Its relatively easy to manage excessive heat in the home, especially at nighttime - see posts on previous pages, but because we rarely get this heat, its not something people will know automatically

Keep curtains closed during the day, especially windows getting the sun - direct sunlight can increase temperatures dramatically.

Then late evening open doors/windows all over to let the warm air out and the cooler outside air in.

If you have fans, even better - point the fans towards the open windows - it will suck the warm air up and out and the cooler air will move in.

Should take about 30-45min to bring temps down to below 20 degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The fan trick as mentioned by Cherryghost does seem to work not sure how much energy I'm consuming though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A lot of Irish homes are useless at both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement