Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

MJohnston wrote: »
    I suppose the real question for comparing Shannon with Shannon is whether the environs of the station have changed much over the last X years? I mean, we can still try and compare it with itself rather than use it as a yardstick for the entire country.

I dont think shannon airport has changed much over the years anyway not in the last 20 that i can remember anyway ,if anything i thought the tempetures might be less due to how close to the shannon the station is when looking at the pics.

either way its hot here and every now and again you can feel the jumps in the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Poor b***tards :D

Donegal deserves it for being the only county to vote No in the recent referendum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Hourly synops for the past 3 days for the Big Four

454564.png

It'll be interesting to see Shannon's 1pm temp. Can't believe Claremorris is lagging from yesterday as my sweatometer is telling a different story. But the figures don't lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon reporting 29c at 1pm. Ahead of where it's been the last few days. Could see the record broken again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

and in the last 40odd mins it has got a lot hotter and humid here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cooler then recent days in cork city I believe. There is a nice breeze though when your outside which cools you down!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

26C here at Dunshaughlin, making it about 2C warmer than this time yesterday!. Sea breeze not as obvious today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Cooler then recent days in cork city I believe. There is a nice breeze though when your outside which cools you down!

It is stiflingly hot still in Mallow today, seems warmer if anything as humidity is slightly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon is 28.6 at 1 pm, which is 1.1 degrees higher than the same time yesterday.

Gurteen 28.5, Claremorris 28.1, Oak Park 27.5

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I can't wait for the end of the day. I woke up at 6am this morning after at best four hours sleep, feeling like I'd had a shower at some point during those four hours.

Is it meant to rain(what's that says you) in cork at the weekend or is this weather meant to continue next week ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I've only done Athenry here but looks on par with yesterday.

454562.JPG

1pm and the temps definitely seem pegged back a bit. We might hit 30 in a few spots but I reckon that’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I've only done Athenry here but looks on par with yesterday.

454562.JPG

1pm and the temps definitely seem pegged back a bit. We might hit 30 in a few spots but I reckon that’s all.
    Highest temps have come around 4 or 5 pm so a bit to go yet, I have had a walk every day this week around 1 O'Clock in Galway and today I took a shorter route as it definitely feels hotter. Car temp(un-calibrated obviously) is consistent with last couple of days though, around 29.5 - 30.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest. What I find so unusual about all this is people seem to be focusing on this as like a warm spell that has only happened for a week or so. Since the very start of May, I think I can recall seeing rain maybe 2-3 times in total in almost 8-9 weeks in Dublin. Even at that I think one of those showers was heavy but nothing major.
    The Met eireann monthly data for Dublin backs this up (I cant speak for the rest of Ireland) with approx. 23mm of rain from 1st May - 28th June in Dublin. That must be close to a record even for Dublin, which is statistically the driest place in Ireland based on 30 year averages. that works out at 0.3mm per day over a 2 month period!

I'll look at the driest May/June combinations if you want.

Meanwhile, I've done a post on the driest Junes on record at Cork Airport and Dublin Airport:
    I thought it'd be fun here to look at the driest Junes on record at Cork Airport and Dublin Airport because both stations' totals for June 2018 are running well below average with 8.3 and 4.5mm respectively.

Dublin Airport's driest Junes on record (records go back to 1941). So June 2018 currently ranks as the second driest June on record here.

Rank|Year|Rainfall total (mm)
    1.|1942|4.0
    2.|1967|11.4
    3.|1995|11.6
    4.|2015|14.1
    5.|1975|14.9
    6.|1973|20.2
    7.|1996|20.8
    8.|1994|21.2
    9.|1949|22.3
    10.|1976|22.5

Cork Airport's driest Junes on record (records go back to 1962). June 2018 currently ranks as the driest June on record here, following its second wettest April on record.

Rank|Year|Rainfall total (mm)
    1.|2006|14.6
    2.|1975|20.2
    3.|1974/1995|21.3
    4.|1973|25.1
    5.|1992|26.4
    6.|1972|34.2
    7.|1999|35.4
    8.|1967|35.9
    9.|1977|36.4
    10.|1994|45.9

Data comes from Met Éireann.
    nice work, makes for interesting reading! Cork city seems to get approximately double the amount of rain every year that Dublin gets. Huge difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a 2C drop in the past 20 minutes, back to 24C now from 26C just after 1pm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Dont have readings at hand but feels the hottest day so far in Tralee, sweltering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Gonzo wrote: »
    26C here at Dunshaughlin, making it about 2C warmer than this time yesterday!. Sea breeze not as obvious today.

Opposite here in D9. Much fresher today with the breeze, been stuck at around 23 degrees since 11am so I'd imagine without it dying off or changing direction a little we'll come in 2/3 degrees lower than the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Afternoon all,

So all set fair for the next week or so. A few thunderstorms will move in to some southern and eastern areas (and the west at times) but more than likely not amounting to much rain. Remaining on the warm or very warm side.

Then...more than a few hints across the models for next weekend that we may be looking at a reload...early days

GFSOPEU06_195_1.png

2d41ha.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well this is the 6th day in a row that Shannon has gone over 26c so that's officially a heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

the Met Office are showing a peppering of showers across western and north-western Ireland for tomorrow, followed by a threat of showers across the south on Sunday.

They are also mentioning an increase in humidity from tomorrow day on day, making for much stickier nights to come. Up to now we have gotten away lightly with relatively comfortable nights for sleeping.

While temperatures will be in the low to mid 20s throughout the next week, the increased humidity may not make it feel any less cooler than it is now.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    Opposite here in D9. Much fresher today with the breeze, been stuck at around 23 degrees since 11am so I'd imagine without it dying off or changing direction a little we'll come in 2/3 degrees lower than the last few days.

the sea breeze kicked in here after the 26C was reached. Back to 24C here but not really feeling any cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yeah.. all of a sudden the heat ya picked up a lot in Cork. The breeze is still there thankfully but in the last half an hour you’d swear it went up 5 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It’s about 2 degrees less here today but it feels 5 hotter...I am absolutely bollexed today and the sweat pumping out of me..
    The smallest of tasks is draining...
    Kildare/Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

29.1c at Shannon Airport at 14:00. However, that's 0.5c down from the same time yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah a breeze is picking up.

1c cooler in Sligo but nearly 4c cooler in town

26c in both Markree and Sligo

Yesterday 27c in Markree and 30c (30.3c)in Sligo

29.1c at Shannon Airport at 14:00. However, that's 0.5c down from the same time yesterday.

The temperature rise today slowed down alot in the afternoon. 29.7c here in West Clare now though, so the 30c mark will definitely be broken.

Struggling a bit to keep up with yesterday at 2 pm. Shannon a bit lower, but dewpoints in general are several degrees higher today.

454566.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Wasn't Shannon out on it's own yesterday?

Only for the it being an airport, the weather station would be decommissioned due to bad location/next to a carpark.

So to for Joanna to not trust the Kilkenny record, but then choosing to trust a weather station that only exists due to the airport.

• Advertisement

30c at Shannon at 2:30, and currently 30.1c here now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement