Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

RobertKK wrote: »
    Wasn't Shannon out on it's own yesterday?

Only for the it being an airport, the weather station would be decommissioned due to bad location/next to a carpark.

So to for Joanna to not trust the Kilkenny record, but then choosing to trust a weather station that only exists due to the airport.

It's still a viable and accurate measurement without the same doubts that are hanging over the 33.3.

I'd note that the vast majority of people in Ireland are experiencing this weather in conditions very similar to that of the Shannon weather station - surrounded by tarmac and concrete, so it is hardly unrepresentative of how the weather is for humans.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Todays NAVGEM wants to hold onto 30+ days to Wednesday next week before a gradual cooling. Possibility of showers north and west tomorrow afternoon, clouding over to the south but it doesnt seem precip will make headway inlan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

Felt more humid in Portmarnock last night and this morning, similar in Naas at the moment but no way of measuring it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Todays NAVGEM wants to hold onto 30+ days to Wednesday next week before a gradual cooling. Possibility of showers north and west tomorrow afternoon, clouding over to the south but it doesnt seem precip will make headway inlan.

Yeah - todays 06z GFS not keen on any significant precipation for the vast bulk of the country with a re-load of heat by Saturday week!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Were the brits even using Celsius back in 1887?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Were the brits even using Celsius back in 1887?

No, Armagh Observatory's observations for June 1887 for example were in Fahrenheit: http://climate.arm.ac.uk/scans/1887/06/INDEXA.html

The UK Met Office switched over to Celsius in January 1961.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's still a viable and accurate measurement without the same doubts that are hanging over the 33.3.

I'd note that the vast majority of people in Ireland are experiencing this weather in conditions very similar to that of the Shannon weather station - surrounded by tarmac and concrete, so it is hardly unrepresentative of how the weather is for humans.

Manmade heat islands are not representative of the actual weather. It is like lighting a fire in your garden and placing a thermometer close enough to be affected and then making out it is representative when it manmade influences causing the temperature to be higher.
    If this was fine. I would move my weather station to a location I know where it would give me higher summer temperatures and lower winter temperatures during frosty periods as I could use manmade influences to achieve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

JCX BXC wrote: »
    30c at Shannon at 2:30, and currently 30.1c here now.

Thats the carpark!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

06z GFS showing showers for Dublin/Wicklow for Sunday evening. We really need them as this stage but it keeps coming and going with each run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

On the way down to my summer house on the cork coast. Driving for 20 mins and car says 32 degrees. It’s warm alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭amandstu

Who has the highest reading in their car? I had 37 yesterday.... (parked ,I mean)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

RobertKK wrote: »
    Manmade heat islands are not representative of the actual weather. It is like lighting a fire in your garden and placing a thermometer close enough to be affected and then making out it is representative when it manmade influences causing the temperature to be higher.
    If this was fine. I would move my weather station to a location I know where it would give me higher summer temperatures and lower winter temperatures during frosty periods as I could use manmade influences to achieve this.

Sure, this is all obvious, I'm not arguing that stations shouldn't have an identical baseline.

I'm simply pointing out that the Shannon station, being surrounded by man-made influences, is still representative of how hot the temperatures are for most humans in this country, who are surrounded by the exact same influences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon still a rounded 30 at 3 pm, the same as the yesterday and Wednesday (30.3 and 30.1, respectively).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,563 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

pauldry wrote: »
    Thats the carpark!!:D

the wind is blowing from the southeast, the car park is to the north. How does that heat get to the weather station?

The car park is 'quite close' but still more than 50 metres from the weather station, and the weather station itself is on an elevated site

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The UK Met Office switched over to Celsius in January 1961.

So the KK record was 92°F ?

So the KK record was 92°F ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

On the way down to my summer house on the cork coast. .........

Fine for some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Been putting t-shirts in the fridge before my gym sessions this week. Absolutely one of the top 5 feelings you can experience in life changing into a nice cold, refreshing t-shirt when you're on the verge of melting. Doesn't last very long, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

For those of you who have home weather stations , where is the best location for the thermometer ? Granted I won’t have an ideal spot as I live in a 3 bed semi.
    Currently have it attached to a trellis in middle of garden.. would like to upgrade my current set up..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's pretty difficult to get a perfect location - there are bound to be manmade or geographical factors which cause variations between each station (in respect of Shannon that is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Really really getting tired of this now. There is no escape!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

This is interesting.for every one comparing 1976 to 2018 (so Far)

16 consecutive days over 30 °C (86 °F) from 23 June to 8 July[4] and for 15 consecutive days from 23 June to 7 July temperatures reached 32.2 °C (90 °F) somewhere in England. Furthermore, five days saw temperatures exceed 35 °C (95 °F). On 28 June, temperatures reached 35.6 °C (96.1 °F) in Southampton, the highest June temperature recorded in the UK. The hottest day of all was 3 July, with temperatures reaching 35.9 °C (96.6 °F) in Cheltenham.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Get along to Eamonn Deacy Park tonight - one of the coldest places in Ireland

EDIT - I might even chance not bringing a jacket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Struggling a bit to keep up with yesterday at 2 pm. Shannon a bit lower, but dewpoints in general are several degrees higher today.

I feckin’ knew it! The overall picture for the country earlier was lower temps than yesterday. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Akrasia wrote: »
    the wind is blowing from the southeast, the car park is to the north. How does that heat get to the weather station?

The car park is 'quite close' but still more than 50 metres from the weather station, and the weather station itself is on an elevated site

The carpark and buildings cover the whole eastern 180 ° of the station, and a southeast flow has the longest fetch over the hot surface (almost 200 metres). The centre of the square compound is only around 10 metres from the tarmac.

454485.png

Also add that 76 heatwave lasted from early June to end of August Huge thunderstorms ended it

Steve F wrote: »
    Also add that 76 heatwave lasted from early June to end of August Huge thunderstorms ended it

I explained all the facts and figures in my Summer 1976 which I posted here on the 20th June. :)
    Lots of comparisons will be made with this heatwave to 1976 and as a result, I have made this video to give you an insight into the Summer of 1976.

It was the year that ABBA was number one on the charts and Denis Howell was appointed Minister for Drought (but was followed by thunderstorms and a very wet Autumn).

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

On the way down to my summer house on the cork coast. Driving for 20 mins and car says 32 degrees. It’s warm alright.

Your parents summer house ;)

I explained all the facts and figures in my Summer 1976 which I posted here on the 20th June. :)

Sorry
    Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Come to Tenerife
    It has clouded over completely today
    Cool and breezy
    And not even a World Cup match on to watch
    Heaven for you
    Hell for me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement