Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon just hovering below the 30.0 threshold at 2 pm, and the other 3 stations lower than yesterday too. Still, not too shabby...
    Highest in the North is 29.1 at Castlederg.

454568.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

amandstu wrote: »
    Who has the highest reading in their car? I had 37 yesterday.... (parked ,I mean)

I got 39 on Tuesady in south offaly. Parked in a Tesco carpark with no other cars nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

harr wrote: »
    For those of you who have home weather stations , where is the best location for the thermometer ? Granted I won’t have an ideal spot as I live in a 3 bed semi.
    Currently have it attached to a trellis in middle of garden.. would like to upgrade my current set up..

A grass surface, in the most open location you can use away from man made influences, thermometer placed at 1.2 metres from the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Steve F wrote: »
    Sorry
    Steve

Nothing to be sorry about dude, just showing you the video. Perhaps I could intrigue you into researching more about Summer 1976 after seeing it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The carpark and buildings cover the whole eastern 180 ° of the station, and a southeast flow has the longest fetch over the hot surface (almost 200 metres). The centre of the square compound is only around 10 metres from the tarmac.

Bing Maps has slightly clearer satellite imagery for that area, in case it's useful:

nNwBrC8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

amandstu wrote: »
    Who has the highest reading in their car? I had 37 yesterday.... (parked ,I mean)

54 in my campervan yesterday...does that count? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

So disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I think we should scrap Shannon's data, as clearly, going by the 'rule book', it is not located properly. I's mean, most other official stations are located in fields in the middle of nowhere, which, I am told, is standard practice, so how it that Shannon gets a 'free pass' regarding this? Can the data from this station be really fairly compared to data from the bog warrior stations?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Your parents summer house ;)

Aha true :)

Just looking forward to that bit of a sea breeze. 27 degrees according to the car in Clonakilty :)

The only image of the met station at Shannon that I can find is this one from the old met.ie site.

shannonterm_build1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

harr wrote: »
    For those of you who have home weather stations , where is the best location for the thermometer ? Granted I won’t have an ideal spot as I live in a 3 bed semi.
    Currently have it attached to a trellis in middle of garden.. would like to upgrade my current set up..

I'm also in a 3-bed semi with a back garden of sorts so not the ideal location for a weather station. I mounted mine in a concrete base within a flower-pot which means I can move it about a little in order to avoid direct sunlight.

36414774_10213750983021073_4043675944991326208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeF4BiEv0Y81QHYGchumacNljwABM3bLu58-Te5rlt60l8ZOLvcrLzqRtZyiJaDW_e3ukhoRbkE6Mdm7XwEZLeXEOaSuHmMpydxr29tgxutnkg&oh=f20e9a95446a23a6891d3b3b13fb25ff&oe=5BE211E4

Was Shannon on this page? It doesn't seem to be right now.

EDIT: Then again, none of the synoptic Airport stations are (Cork and Dublin too) along with others like Casement Aerodrome.

Fl9yviJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It just edged over the 30C mark in Castlebar for the third day straight, later though today reaching the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Comhra wrote: »
    I'm also in a 3-bed semi with a back garden of sorts so not the ideal location for a weather station. I mounted mine in a concrete base within a flower-pot which means I can move it about a little in order to avoid direct sunlight.

36414774_10213750983021073_4043675944991326208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=AeF4BiEv0Y81QHYGchumacNljwABM3bLu58-Te5rlt60l8ZOLvcrLzqRtZyiJaDW_e3ukhoRbkE6Mdm7XwEZLeXEOaSuHmMpydxr29tgxutnkg&oh=f20e9a95446a23a6891d3b3b13fb25ff&oe=5BE211E4

Brilliant idea ,thanks for that. It’s time I invested in a better set up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

km79 wrote: »
    Come to Tenerife
    It has clouded over completely today
    Cool and breezy
    And not even a World Cup match on to watch
    Heaven for you
    Hell for me

ask the barman to stick on Dundalk v Cork City for you later!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sea breezes really knocking several degrees of the temperatures here since about 1.30pm. Currently 24C and feeling very pleasant in the breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Temperature after dropping now in North Cork as a breeze had taken hold ..

25.9 DegC @ 48% humidity. (Down from 30.4 DegC this time yesterday)

Northern Ireland getting a hosepipe ban now starting today.

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/1012713564686217216

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sorry, I thought the weather station was somewhere different.

Looks like an awful place to put it, but I've gone and checked an old photograph from the 1950s and it appears that the car park and at least some of those buildings were there back then. And if that's the case, then even if there is a heat island there, at least it's been there since the start.

9e7b571e85d8b5da86d16a8521e677e4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I always thought that the saltmarsh there could have a heat affect too.
    Its quite dark soil, but it is kept damp twice a day though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think we should scrap Shannon's data, as clearly, going by the 'rule book', it is not located properly. I's mean, most other official stations are located in fields in the middle of nowhere, which, I am told, is standard practice, so how it that Shannon gets a 'free pass' regarding this? Can the data from this station be really fairly compared to data from the bog warrior stations?

Someone's getting moody with the weather!

testicles wrote: »
    If that's the met station, it's not in the same location as the satellite images from earlier.

The car park in Shannon, where the satellite images are from, existed in 1976 too. It was formerly the car park for Shannon ATC Centre before it moved to Ballycasey

Yup, agreed. That photo is from the south/southwest of the airport.

Meanwhile, we've reached 31.1c here in West Clare. I doubt we've ever experienced such a high temperature here, and it's certainly the highest in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Very bearable to sit out in today. Nice occasional fresh breeze blowing keeping everything nice and chill.

Athlone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Was out by the Royal Canal there. That is some sexy, sexy weather. 24 degrees at Phoenix Park, our nearest station, at 4pm and with a light breeze. Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

New record (by just 0.1) in Roscrea 30.3 at 4:12 pm

Seven Worlds will Collide

sryanbruen wrote: »

Banned in Dublin from next Monday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temp here has dropped another degree, down to 23C now, after a high of 26C at 1pm.

Shannon 31.1 at 4 pm, 0.4 less than yesterday.. Dont think its going to beat yesterday.

Gurteen 29.5, the exact same as yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

JCX BXC wrote: »
    sryanbruen wrote: »

Banned in Dublin from next Monday
    Better fill the pool now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement