Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

31 again at Shannon, what a cracking stretch of weather. 30 being reported at some other locations too.
    2018 between metres of snow and heat waves over 30 degrees has truly become a year to remember already for extreme weather events in Ireland. Only half way through the year too, what else lies ahead! Will be hard to beat all this
    looking at the 10 day forecast for Dublin, pretty much sunny and 22-25 degrees. Legendary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

km79 wrote: »
    Come to Tenerife
    It has clouded over completely today
    Cool and breezy
    And not even a World Cup match on to watch
    Heaven for you
    Hell for me

Heading there Wednesday can’t wait to sleep in an air conditioned room

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Direction of highest 10 min mean speeds on the days where Shannon Apt recorded its highest temps. Doesn't include data from this current spell.

31.6 - 100 degrees (ESE)
    30.7 - 110 degrees (ESE)
    30.6 - 280 degrees (W)
    30.3 - 140 degrees (SE)

Average direction for all days which recorded over 30c - 151 degrees (SSE)

From Met Éireann

New Moon

This is the latest reading from the road station nearest to Shannon Apt. Keep in mind that these stations are usually positioned far higher than the official ones, probably to offset the heating effects from nearby tarmac/concrete etc:

4c9OowP.png

Edit, highest temp I can find on the road station map is the 32.1 SW of Headford in Galway.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some data of note as reported in our contest thread ...

the past week has seen almost maximum possible amount of sunshine, the six stations we use in our contest as well as those we don't use have all averaged 14 to 15 hours a day and had weekly values of 250 to 290 per cent of normal sunshine.

The eleven-station grid we use has fallen to 38% of normal June rainfall. Oak Park is at 8% and Dublin A 7% (the rainfall there is 4.8 mm, if that holds to end of tomorrow, 7% of the normal value of 66.7 mm). For the past seven days, the only rainfall reported was 0.1 mm at Johnstown Castle, otherwise all stations in the weekly ag report had zero rainfall.

The past three days have averaged over 20 degrees mean temperature on our contest grid and today plus tomorrow may run that to five days. Normal for our contest grid at this point is close to 15 degrees.

Yesterday, there was quite a large diurnal range especially at Gurteen which went from a minimum of 7.8 to a maximum of 29.9 C. Shannon went from 12.4 to 32.0 and Valentia managed to range from 10.9 to 28.4 ... and the highest minimum for 28th was 16.6 at Knock of all places , tied with Ballyhaise (in the west especially, showing the presence of a strong nocturnal inversion that managed to form in the boundary layer despite the short length of the night). There may be more impressive high minima to report after today's daily data are posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Heading there Wednesday can’t wait to sleep in an air conditioned room

You won’t need it

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

There was a wind in cork today for a time, which has gone. I'm sick of this heat. Christ would it be too warm to drink stout tonight ? I'd say it'd be rough enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

Does anyone know how many heatwaves there have been since, say 1950 (using the definition of greater than 25C at any one location for five days-if that is the right definition)?

It would be a handy mental reference map - setting heatwaves apart from the more frequent localised high temperature days.

These are the ones I know of or experienced off the top of my head:-
    1976, 1983?, 1986?, 1989, 1995, aug 2003, jul 2005?, jul 2006?, jul 2013, jul 2016? jun 2018

Would the figure be around 15 to 20 heatwaves (in 68 years)?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UK Met Office and GFS both have high pressure building in again across the country from Thursday. Not much rain in between either but some heavy showers about. That will worry the farmers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    There was a wind in cork today for a time, which has gone. I'm sick of this heat. Christ would it be too warm to drink stout tonight ? I'd say it'd be rough enough.

Take a chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

5pm

Shannon 30.5
    Gurteen 29.7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

So KK 1887 lives to fight another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So KK 1887 lives to fight another day.

I dont think it will ever be broken

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If this weather continues into July, the record will almost certainly be broken. Should we start taking bets on what it will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I'm glad I didnt take Pauldry up on his 75/1

Castlederg was 30.0 at 5 pm. Passed yesterday's max of 29.7.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

UK Met Office and GFS both have high pressure building in again across the country from Thursday. Not much rain in between either but some heavy showers about. That will worry the farmers!

Not just the farmers at this stage! When you look into the knock on effects on farming down the chain to consumers, there's a lot to be worried about. Especially the idea that this could become a more regular occurrence globally.

Top 5 highest temps recorded in Claremorris:(not including yesterday)

30.5c - 13 July 1983
    29.8c - 30 June 1976
    29.5c - 8 Aug 2003
    29.0c - 29 June 1995 (also on 11 July 2005)
    28.9c - 19 July 2013

- Met Éireann.

New Moon

In terms of the 'IMT' national mean, yesterday's mean of 19.9c was not unprecedented in the last 10 years, but in terms of mean maxima, which came in at 27.3c, this is the highest recorded in the last decade, and based on a rough estimation, would be the warmest day over Ireland as a whole since July 13 1983.

- C/O Met Éireann.

New Moon

Yesterday's high is safe. Doesn't look like it beat it today.

454579.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Does anyone know how many heatwaves there have been since, say 1950 (using the definition of greater than 25C at any one location for five days-if that is the right definition)?

It would be a handy mental reference map - setting heatwaves apart from the more frequent localised high temperature days.

These are the ones I know of or experienced off the top of my head:-
    1976, 1983?, 1986?, 1989, 1995, aug 2003, jul 2005?, jul 2006?, jul 2013, jul 2016? jun 2018

Would the figure be around 15 to 20 heatwaves (in 68 years)?
    Since 1950 there were heatwave summers in 1955, June 1957 I think? 1959 and of course 1975 which is often over looked because of the summer that followed it. 1984 was also a very good summer but not as good as the one that preceded it so is not remembered.
    Interesting that there were no outstanding summers in the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Got up 30.6C today in Castlebar, but feeling a bit warmer than the last two days.

This shows the number of consecutive summer days (Tmax >25 C) for Shannon. 1995 stands out (8), with not much in the way of a trend one way or the other.

http://climexp.knmi.nl/gdcntmax.cgi?WMO=EIM00003962_CSU_12&STATION=SHANNON

454580.png

454581.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got up to 30.1C here near Tralee and the late afternoon breeze has knocked it back to 22.8C now ( dropping a lot quicker than other evenings ).

Rh 61% atm Low of 33%

temp_uk_pdr3.png

NASSA Sat Pic

yZON3bi.jpg?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looks like Wednesday was the peak of it here at Dunshaughlin with a temperature of almost 28C.

This is how the past week went here:

Friday: 20C
    Saturday: 23C
    Sunday: 25C
    Monday: 25C
    Tuesday: 25C
    Wednesday: 28C
    Thursday: 26C
    Today: 26C (very briefly around 1pm)

If sea breezes had no interfered, a good 2 to 3C could be added to each day's temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

One thing that strikes me about the sat view of the carpark site is there is no 10m anemometer tower. There is no shadow (like you can see the shadows of the carpark lights), and since the view is slightly to the side you'd be able to see the tower anyway. It's definitely not there.

z0V5ReJ.jpg

I was looking around and found what looks like a 10m tower judging by the shadow length, near the SW end of the runway. It also looks like other anemometer towers at airports, painted red and white. Maybe this is the actual site?

Although after thinking about it again, it doesn't make sense to have it near the runway due to the jet engines blowing air at it. But still, where's the anemometer at the other site?

pcjhIfE.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

and just for a laugh for what it's worth, here is what is predicted at Dunshaughlin over the next 7 to 10 days.

tomorrow: 23C
    Sunday 1 July: 24C
    Monday 2 July: 24C
    Tuesday 3 July: 23C
    Wednesday 4 July: 22C
    Thursday 5 July: 22C
    Friday 6 July: 23C
    Saturday 7 July: 24C
    Sunday 8 July: 25C
    Monday 9 July: 22C.

Temperatures forcasted to remain over 21C all the way as far out as Monday July 16th. If this actually happens, it would be an incredible achievement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rougies wrote: »
    One thing that strikes me about the sat view of the carpark site is there is no 10m anemometer tower. There is no shadow (like you can see the shadows of the carpark lights), and since the view is slightly to the side you'd be able to see the tower anyway. It's definitely not there.

I was looking around and found what looks like a 10m tower judging by the shadow length, near the SW end of the runway. It also looks like other anemometer towers at airports, painted red and white. Maybe this is the actual site?

That is the glidescope antenna, not an anemometer tower. It's not unusual for anemometers to be located away from the rest of the instruments. At Dublin, the anemometer is more than 1 km away!

454583.png

• Advertisement

Shannon max 31.1 today. Gurteen 30.1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement