Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Cheers, thanks for all the answers.

That’s a pity that that met document was taken down but hopefully it’s not totally gone.

It is interesting that nobody has memory or data of a heatwave in the 1960’s. That’s borderline incredible if it turns out to be true (some of the monkey deities must have been angry about all the free love and LSD in them times :confused:)

There’s a lot of agreement so far even about long ago eg. Jul 1955.

I’ll tot up a total & near total over the next few days.

Disappointing that 32.5C wasn’t broken this event but this summer looks like it has plenty of firepower left yet.

The 1960s decade was known for its poor Summers and cold Winters. The "decent" Summers didn't occur 'til the last two of the decade, 1968 and 1969. These Summers for Ireland stand out for how sunny they were, especially 1968 in the northwest. However, they weren't remarkable at all for warmth and 1968 was in fact quite a cool Summer which is strange because usually dry and cool Summers would be rather dull.

I have not looked at 1969 in detail yet bar the fact that it was quite a sunny Summer (with more than 600 hours of sunshine) at Dublin Airport.

There weren't any heatwaves in the 1960s that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is it caused by warm air rising over land?

It's just the drop in air density due to the daytime heating. Read more here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very uncertain the amount of rain in the South later Sun /Mon. Models seem to be backing away from rainfall with very little amounts been shown at this stage by the ECM and others.

ZUXFxPl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Cheers, thanks for all the answers.

That’s a pity that that met document was taken down but hopefully it’s not totally gone.
    Could be somewhere at
    http://archive.met.ie/

Over the past three days, Shannon has had a total of 11 hourly reports above 30 C! Four on Wednesday, 5 yesterday and 4 today. That's some going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Very uncertain the amount of rain in the South later Sun /Mon. Models seem to be backing away from rainfall with very little amounts been shown at this stage by the ECM and others.

ZUXFxPl.png

Yep a few hours ago on the Hirlam there seemed a lot more rain forecast but now only very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Next week looks dry throughout now for most of us. All models have pulled back on anything really noteworthy at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not as warm in the S and SW tomorrow being under the influence of more cloud , humidity should be higher there too. Much sunnier in the mid W and midlands where the highest temperatures will likely occur. High 20's again.

aromehd-41-26-0_yfk4.png

6114_efx8.png

8045_jta2.png

9830_emw4.png

Shannon's taken a large drop of 4.6 degrees in the past hour. Here are the last three days' hourly readings from the Big Four synop hotspots.

454590.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Next week looks dry throughout now for most of us. All models have pulled back on anything really noteworthy at this stage.

And here was I hoping for a night off watering them flowers!

• Advertisement

Shannon's taken a large drop of 4.6 degrees in the past hour. Here are the last three days' hourly readings from the Big Four synop hotspots.

Keep up these awesome graphs and charts, I'm loving them (including the snow depth charts you did for both beasts)!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,928 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm feeling a bit more of a chill in it this evening than yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Have they been the hottest 4 over the 3 days do you know?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm feeling a bit more of a chill in it this evening than yesterday evening.

I'm sitting in my garden right now and I'm actually feeling a bit cold. Nearby Casement's "only" 19.1 C but there is enough of a breeze to take the edge off it.

Rougies wrote: »
    Have they been the hottest 4 over the 3 days do you know?

Of the synops, yes. I don't know about the likes of Athenry, Mt. Dillon, etc. as they don't report synops.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

I'm hoping all of this heat rewards me with an epic day and night of thunderstorms down the road.

Distinctly chilly in the local park walking the dog half an hour ago especially down by the river, but back in the housing estate still feeling warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

hbhook wrote: »
    I'm hoping all of this heat rewards me with an epic day and night of thunderstorms down the road.

There's always one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

degsie wrote: »
    There's always one :rolleyes:

2 actually :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Definitely much colder at the coast. Temps dropped a lot faster here on the south cork coast and the breeze is cold, you’d have to have a jacket. Still was roasting during the day though, slightly cooler then the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

sdanseo wrote: »
    Was still 30° at Shannon at 8pm. Most recently 29 degrees at 8.30pm.

pro tip I just discovered - the ° symbol is got by holding ALT and typing 0176. Who knew

Mines bigger than yours!! :D

Alt and 0186 º°

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's just a surface heat low, formed by the heating of the airmass over the land. These are common in the warm season, and Iberia has one most days. If you look at the hourly Met.ie mesoscale charts you can see the low forming hour-by-hour during the morning, peaking by late afternoon, then filling again overnight. At higher levels, however, there is actually a high the whole time. Look at 925, 850, 500 hPa charts, etc.

Thanks. I am aware of local scale heat lows etc, but the low in the chart above is part of a larger trough that ECM has sitting over the greater part the NW Europe region:

ecm0125_nat_t500_gh500_uv500_2018062912_144.png

The whole set up on the original chart with regards prep potential does not seem right with me.

For what it is worth, here is a chart from July 2014 with a broadly similar surface profile and that the 500 hPa.

ecm0125_nat_msl_t850_6urk_2014072412_006.jpg

Maybe other levels had more 'triggering' aspects to them on this day though..

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Locally, today was the 3rd day in a row that I recorded a temp of over 30.0 deg.C. Overall, very slightly cooler than yesterday, but only by n'ths.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The longer term prospects from the ECM is for the weather to become gradually more unsettled from mid-July onwards. There is a popular belief around these parts that we will always be 'punished' for getting weather like this (which is a genuine form punishment as far as I am concerned), and I sincerely hope that this belief holds true.

We're getting rewarded after the extremely cold/snowy/wet spring. We've already taken the punishment (even though lots of us love snow, but mother nature doesn't know that, shhhhh). Let it be a long hot dry summer and if we go over our credit limit we can take punishment in late August in the form of severe thunderstorms.

Rougies wrote: »
    we can take punishment in late August in the form of severe thunderstorms.

Like 1976 :)

Come back 20 degrees! All is forgiven!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

There's always one

Make that 3. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Originally Posted by hbhook.
    There's always one

• Advertisement

Comhra wrote: »

4 :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement