Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,950 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

4 :D

5 .....:D

Love a good thunderstorm , reminds me of childhood summers tbh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The fact that Shannon Apt got 3 days running of 30c + is a record breaker in itself. Previous longest consecutive was just 2 days with such temps and only occurred once in its records back in '76.

Edit: Less interesting for most, but of importance to me is that Tuam's official Met record of 2 consecutive days of 30.5c occurred back in late June '76 also, so going by my own data today (which I am more than satisfied with) this consecutive record would probably have been broken if the station was still open.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The fact that Shannon Apt got 3 days running of 30c + is a record breaker in itself. Previous longest consecutive was just 2 days with such temps and only occurred once in its records back in '76.

Boora, Co. Offaly continues to hold the record of 5 consecutive days in 1976 (Kilkenny had 4 consecutive days in July 1983) but the Shannon Airport temperatures are still very remarkable indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rougies wrote: »
    We're getting rewarded after the extremely cold/snowy/wet spring. We've already taken the punishment (even though lots of us love snow, but mother nature doesn't know that, shhhhh). Let it be a long hot dry summer and if we go over our credit limit we can take punishment in late August in the form of severe thunderstorms.

I recall being quite peed off with all the rain last winter, but I'd still take it over this heat any day. This weather would be lovely is temps were a good 10 degrees cooler by day and by night. The last couple of nights especially have been particularly insufferable.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The GFS 18Z sticking to it's guns showing rain Sat evening into Sun Morning, maybe a few sparks along that convergence. Lets see will the European models follow it.

tempresult_frj2.gif

27-777UK_ziq9.GIF

21-505UK_rpn9.GIF

21-602UK_jzn4.GIF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    5 .....:D

Love a good thunderstorm , reminds me of childhood summers tbh :o

6 now ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That's a star wars moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Are we looking at rain down south still (cork city/ coastal cork like clonakilty etc mainly) on Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Durrow now has three days of ~31c in a row: Wednesday 30.9c, Thursday 31.3c and today Friday 30.8c.

These are screen temperatures.

Will we see a 30c tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Another record broken today at the Durrow AWS station: Lowest ever humidity reading of just 22%! :eek:

The dew point fell below 5c at one stage - was wondering about snow!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Why is it one minute little or no rain or a very small amount of rain down south to now having a system of rain crossing over middle of the country.
    Very confusing for us lay folks who don’t know one end of a chart to the other...
    Every time I come back on it has changed again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Danno wrote: »
    Another record broken today at the Durrow AWS station: Lowest ever humidity reading of just 22%! :eek:

Goes to show the effect the Atlantic regimes have on our normal summer climate. It feels like Spain or other at the moment with the dry heat. Normally we get awful humidity.

Is this spell just a random hot summer or are there any changes afoot with the ice melting up north. Our oceans are so vast and deep, that understanding their currents and what impact it might have is much unknown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Rougies

I love the moon shadow cast onto the sea by the clouds.

For anyone relaxing outside enjoying the moonlight tonight:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Goes to show the effect the Atlantic regimes have on our normal summer climate. It feels like Spain or other at the moment with the dry heat. Normally we get awful humidity.

Is this spell just a random hot summer or are there any changes afoot with the ice melting up north. Our oceans are so vast and deep, that understanding their currents and what impact it might have is much unknown.

I feel like similar questions to this have been asked a million times today :P.
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    The reason for the jet stream slowing down is courtesy of a few things. Firstly, the Sudden Stratospheric Warming event that occurred in February can be to blame because it gave away to record breaking zonal wind reversions and this can be shown by the Scandinavian block retrogressing to Greenland and then North America giving away to record breaking March/April snow and cold to them. The zonal winds did not reassert themselves and intensify to back above average before the time of year (mid-April) when they start to reverse anyway and become weak. The zonal winds could not do much thanks to the time of year and going back to the SSW event in February which caused a very early severe (more like May to June standards) reversion in our normal zonal winds.

The reversion in zonal winds has also led to an unusual Atlantic SST profile since February with a cold pool of SSTs in the shape of a horseshoe. These cold SSTs include out to the west of Ireland, south of Greenland, west of Iberia and through the tropics. Why is this? When the high pressure is over Scandinavia and sending easterlies to us, the Atlantic circulation causes the winds to come down from the Arctic in the Atlantic which is why this has happened. These cold SSTs in the way they're aligned in the North Atlantic promote blocking over us and or Scandinavia along with the fact that solar activity is at very low levels, solar activity could be promoting the blocking too (just happens we're on the right side of the block this time).

As we get into Autumn, the Polar Vortex will start to reintensify and this will continue into Winter. It's a matter of will the cold SSTs continue to be able to fend off the normal zonal flow and blocking will still occur over Scandinavia or us? I have a feeling that Autumn might be much more unsettled but I also have a hunch that the pattern will end up in our favour for cold for Winter helped by solar activity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I just hope none of that rain arrives at my area during the weekend. BBQ's and weekend planned around warm and sunny weather.

It definitely looks like the western half of the country could be in for some showers over the weekend, but these could be very hit and miss.

Indeed, it certainly feels like a continental summer. I personally thought that the June Bank Holiday weekend "felt" warmer, despite the temperatures showing the contrary.

This summer is has a way to go yet, but it's certainly has a hint of 1995 about it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Are we looking at rain down south still (cork city/ coastal cork like clonakilty etc mainly) on Sunday?

Gone from the forecast

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I recall being quite peed off with all the rain last winter, but I'd still take it over this heat any day. This weather would be lovely is temps were a good 10 degrees cooler by day and by night. The last couple of nights especially have been particularly insufferable.

I know was probably being a little IMBY there because it has been absolute perfection here in the east with 25ishC, low humidity, refreshing breezes and cool nights and I would like it to continue. 2013 was hellish and I was wishing it away, so I understand your plight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,876 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Next weekend

gfs-0-222.png?18

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly midnight and still 20.8C outside in Castlebar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

MickGers Waterford city weather got a station low of 18% yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,705 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The dew point fell below 5c at one stage - was wondering about snow!!!

Waterford airport reported a dew point of -2 yesterday. Probably around the same time Waterford city weather got the 18% humidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very warm in Sligo today and Markree.

29.1c at my station and 29c at Markree too

Held up well too with it still that value at 6pm

In fact Shannon was still 30c at 8pm I think.

Is that the latest ever 30c in Ireland or did 1887 have 30c at 8pm?

If so it was around 30c in Shannon for 6 hours today

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Rougies wrote: »
    I know was probably being a little IMBY there because it has been absolute perfection here in the east with 25ishC, low humidity, refreshing breezes and cool nights and I would like it to continue. 2013 was hellish and I was wishing it away, so I understand your plight.

Personally I'd love 4 days of low 20s, low humidity, with a nice breeze and cool nights. And then 1 day of absolute apocalyptic thunderstorms and rainfall. And then back to the 4 days of low 20s.

And repeat until August.

If only posting about it made it so! We need that rain, farmers have had a really tough winter and this summer is proving to be worse still.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

What i take out of this Heatwave so far is how much Humidity plays in how we feel. I recorded a station high of 29.2c yesterday in Waterford City with a Humidity of 19%. It felt wonderful. Dry heat with a breeze is bliss.
    This time last year i was in Taiwan with temps of 35c and Humidity levels 60 to 70%. It just engulfs you and the sweat rolls.
    Humidity makes such a difference

MJohnston wrote: »
    Personally I'd love 4 days of low 20s, low humidity, with a nice breeze and cool nights. And then 1 day of absolute apocalyptic thunderstorms and rainfall. And then back to the 4 days of low 20s.

And repeat until August.

If only posting about it made it so! We need that rain, farmers have had a really tough winter and this summer is proving to be worse still.

That sounds like the perfect summer for me too, but I would make a small adjustment; have Friday and Saturday nights a bit warmer than worknights :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I just love warm evenings... You can have your killer midday sun all you like but nothing beats a warm balmy evening for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Apparently we could see moisture pooling /dry line tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement