Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

24 degrees at 9am:eek:

ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

It’s going to be too hot for the Spanish students

They won’t be able to cope. They didn’t cope in July 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

anybody notice that stinging quality to irish heat when it gets very warm here.

on another note i just cant believe my eyes when i see the plus 15 isotherm
    splurging over ireland with such ease.I feel a bit emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

km79 wrote: »
    Checks weather for Tenerife
    Low 20s cloudy and showers
    CRIES

Just left 28 degrees behind in France, this is music to my ears

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

pad199207 wrote: »

It might keep them quiet so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its not that so much as the lack of air conditioning refuge. I had family home from Florida the last week in May staying in a City Centre hotel, outdoors it was mild for them but they whinged about the lack of aircon in their stuffy rooms all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its not that so much as the lack of air conditioning refuge. I had family home from Florida the last week in May staying in a City Centre hotel, outdoors it was mild for them but they whinged about the lack of aircon in their stuffy rooms all week.

Yeah again “a different heat here” as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

GFS looking good:

I1Te3FR.jpg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    GFS looking good:

I1Te3FR.jpg

Lovely stuff. Wish we can have a repeat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A lot of agreement in the GFS ensembles to the OP with mean 850hPa temperatures at least +12c.

Game on!

• Advertisement

anybody notice that stinging quality to irish heat when it gets very warm here.

on another note i just cant believe my eyes when i see the plus 15 isotherm
    splurging over ireland with such ease.I feel a bit emotional.

It's to do with the relatively low, northern, subarctic sun position. In the Med, and other places along and south of that latitude, the sun is higher and less 'in your face' and not cooking you whole as you struggle to even stand.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It's to do with the relatively low, northern, subarctic sun position. In the Med, and other places along and south of that latitude, the sun is higher and less 'in your face' and not cooking you whole as you struggle to even stand.

We're more like a kebab being cooked at our latitude. That, and generally higher humidity.

Anyone remember an advert years back which showed people lying on the beach, looking overly tanned but curiously motionless? It was only when the camera started zooming out and revealing the vultures circling above them that the point became clear.

Not sure why that particular clip came into my head.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This will be everyone in Ireland next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Atlantic systems queuing up to do battle against our warm block next week.

UKMOPEU00_144_1.png

Thou shall not pass :D They'll have to be content with Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

The Atlantic systems queuing up

Thou shall not pass :D They'll have to be content with Iceland.

Dear Atlantic systems, let us have our 2 week heatwave, then you can pay us a visit after that.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Yeah again “a different heat here” as they say

I'm from a climate regularly hitting over 100 degrees (towards 40) for months on end and it's not a different kind of heat to me in Ireland. It's the lack of air conditioning. In warm climates we're just so used to being cooled artificially. Excluding the larger shops there isn't much of it in Ireland. And its absence becomes very noticeable after a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

The thundery showers n sea mist have now been mentioned in forecast.

An Irish heatwave is roasting n sticky with fog and occasional heavy rain in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pauldry wrote: »
    The thundery showers n sea mist have now been mentioned in forecast.

An Irish heatwave is roasting n sticky with fog and occasional heavy rain in the evening

ah ffs

sea fog can turn 25 degrees into 12 degrees :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm from a climate regularly hitting over 100 degrees (towards 40) for months on end and it's not a different kind of heat to me in Ireland. It's the lack of air conditioning. In warm climates we're just so used to being cooled artificially. Excluding the larger shops there isn't much of it in Ireland. And its absence becomes very noticeable after a few hours.

I hate being in countries dominated by air conditioning. Makes places too cold.

Also, I think people are referring to being outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If Ireland was guaranteed 2 to 3 months of 25C+ every summer, we would all have air conditioning units in our homes which would be turned on when the temperature goes above 20C. Nobody would be complaining about difficult nights to sleep or wishing the warm weather over after only one day.

The fact is we are not guaranteed any properly warm days every summer across the country, some parts of Ireland can fail to get above 22C and have trouble getting much beyond 18C during poor summers. This is the reason why very few of us have bothered to invest in air conditioning units in hour homes and business's.

A few years ago I stayed in a well known hotel in Galway City, it was 26C outside and there was no air conditioning in the rooms. Opening the windows didn't relieve the build up of heat inside the room. I'll never forget how uncomfortable that felt. It probably wasn't worth the hotels investment in ordering a few hundred air conditioning units, on the off chance that they may be used for 2 or 3 days per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

close the curtains, you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

I don't really get the argument that warm weather is "warmer" in Ireland.

25 degrees in Ireland pretty much feels the same as 25 degrees anywhere else (as long as humidity is the same of course).

When you go aboard on holiday, you tend to manage the heat better as you're mentally prepared for it and are expecting it. The fact that you’re usually doing little more than lounging around on a beach helps too. And as others have said, there's air conditioning almost everywhere. You're also usually in shorts and light casual gear, whereas in Ireland you might be in work and have to wear a shirt and trousers.

But scientificially, I don't think there's much reason why it'll feel extra warm here next week.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Humidity levels is much different in Ireland than most countries we holiday to. At night time we tend to have far higher humidity levels.

GFS this morning touching high 20s by Thurs/Fri next week, definitely could see 30 broken in sheltered spots, with a breakdown by Saturday.
    NAVGEM still has stupid temperatures of 36+ from Wednesday
    ICON wants to touch 30 on Weds
    GEM lines up with GFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

compsys wrote: »

25 degrees in Ireland pretty much feels the same as 25 degrees anywhere else (as long as humidity is the same of course).

When you go aboard on holiday, you tend to manage the heat better as you're mentally prepared for it and are expecting it. The fact that you’re usually doing little more than lounging around on a beach helps too. And as others have said, there's air conditioning almost everywhere. You're also usually in shorts and light casual gear, whereas in Ireland you might be in work and have to wear a shirt and trousers.

But scientificially, I don't think there's much reason why it'll feel extra warm here next week.

Its humidity this makes things feel unbearably hot and sweaty - few years back we were in California where it hit 36 DegC, it was very warm in the sun but you would sweat very little with humidity about 30%.

We arrived back in Dublin at 17 DegC with humidity of 70%+ and the sweat poured off of us....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

That's the thing - humidity tends to be higher here than a lot of other places so it's not the same.

But scientificially, I don't think there's much reason why it'll feel extra warm here next week. ]

Going by your location, you live in a coastal area though, where you are more likely to get some sort of sea breeze or cooling effect from the sea. Much different for us who don't have that luxury!

Currently 14c here with occasional sunshine, and even in the breeze, it does not feel unpleasant in anyway. My guess is that by this time next week, many of us will be wishing for something like this.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Read somewhere one that due to our latitude and moisture content from surrounding sea acts like a prissoum making the sun feel hotter ,probably not scientificly true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

it hasnt arrived and people are complaining about it being too hot already.
    Just enjoy it while its here for gods sake, we had a ten month winter and we mightnt see weather like it for another few year!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

From 2012 to 2017 inclusive, the years I have full weather records for my location in Kilkenny, the average highest temperature has been 26.9C, the highest being 29.7C with 24.8C the lowest maximum.
    It would be nice to go above 30C for the records :)

A thundery breakdown the weekend after next would be good once it stayed warm and areas of the east and south that need rain gets its fair share of any rainfall. It would be no bad thing whether one is urban or rural.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement