Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

How long are these temperatures meant to last?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

pauldry wrote: »
    Very warm in Sligo today and Markree.

29.1c at my station and 29c at Markree too

Held up well too with it still that value at 6pm

In fact Shannon was still 30c at 8pm I think.

Is that the latest ever 30c in Ireland or did 1887 have 30c at 8pm?

If so it was around 30c in Shannon for 6 hours today

I wonder if mountainyman's snow has all melted yet. Not a peep from him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

How long are these temperatures meant to last?

The extreme high temperatures ( 28C+) are gone for now. However it will still be very warm by Irish standards over the next 5 days (20-25C likely each day).

It's possible there may be another run of intense heat building into next weekend and beyond

Most models are predicting temperatures of over 21C for the majority of the country till about July 16th and then a sudden cooling trend back to normal Irish summer time temperatures.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

17C here but the humidity must be rising, sweating more now than the hot days during the week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    17C here but the humidity must be rising, sweating more now than the hot days during the week

yep noticing it here too. Earlier today they were in the low 40's in my area, currently the humidity has risen to 51%.

It's likely to rise more over the next few days, making those low 20's feel very warm indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If you're reading this soon after I post this, step outside and you'll be likely to see Mars just to the left of the waning full moon, probably also Saturn about half as bright well off to the right of the moon.

I had a look at the latest guidance and it appears possible that some parts of the inland west (central Galway into Clare mostly) would see some sporadic thundershowers tomorrow afternoon, it will be a nowcast situation as to intensity but no guarantee of anything very heavy yet, then a slight chance of storms in Cork and south Kerry by Sunday but there again not much of a guarantee of anything more than slight amounts. Monday to Wednesday looking mostly clear and warm although 3-5 C lower in all areas than the peak of this week's heat wave (much deeper east half Leinster sea breeze penetration probably).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,759 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If you're reading this soon after I post this, step outside and you'll be likely to see Mars just to the left of the waning full moon, probably also Saturn about half as bright well off to the right of the moon.

I had a look at the latest guidance and it appears possible that some parts of the inland west (central Galway into Clare mostly) would see some sporadic thundershowers tomorrow afternoon, it will be a nowcast situation as to intensity but no guarantee of anything very heavy yet, then a slight chance of storms in Cork and south Kerry by Sunday but there again not much of a guarantee of anything more than slight amounts. Monday to Wednesday looking mostly clear and warm although 3-5 C lower in all areas than the peak of this week's heat wave (much deeper east half Leinster sea breeze penetration probably).

Thanks MT. I think it's to the end of next week attention must now turn as it could be the difference between a crisis and no crisis.

Next week should be mostly dry except for a few heavy showers or thunderstorms (particularly Wednesday). This is just token water though. Of more significance is the building of heights and high pressure over the country next weekend and probably before that.

Problems ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Interesting that its now 20.6c in Sligo but only 14c in Markree. Maybe I should go out to the Castle for a nap as no shut eye here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Would these storms do anything for wave height on the west cost over the next few days. It's been flat as a pancake all week.
    The temperature gauge in Lehinch was showing 37 today, it's a bit off but still must have been about 32 with very little sea breeze to cool things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Over the past three days, Shannon has had a total of 11 hourly reports above 30 C! Four on Wednesday, 5 yesterday and 4 today. That's some going.

13 in fact, so that's even better again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

Should I be stocking up in bottled water this weekend just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The forecast details for the next three days are very complicated, don't hold it against any forecaster if you hear one thing and get another, one complication will be large variations over small distances, so any forecast would have to be very long and wordy to get all those details accurate. Talking here about drifting banks of low cloud near west coast, scorching sunshine continuing from some distance inland there to about Kildare perhaps, stronger east coast sea breeze regimes, some chance of low cloud or mist within those, sea breezes terminating on south coast as wind backs to northeast -- then eruptions of weak, sporadic showers that could be just intermittent drizzle but could also get into briefly moderate thunderstorm mode. The radar, hourly reports and comments posted here will probably be your best forecast guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

The forecast details for the next three days are very complicated, don't hold it against any forecaster if you hear one thing and get another, one complication will be large variations over small distances, so any forecast would have to be very long and wordy to get all those details accurate. Talking here about drifting banks of low cloud near west coast, scorching sunshine continuing from some distance inland there to about Kildare perhaps, stronger east coast sea breeze regimes, some chance of low cloud or mist within those, sea breezes terminating on south coast as wind backs to northeast -- then eruptions of weak, sporadic showers that could be just intermittent drizzle but could also get into briefly moderate thunderstorm mode. The radar, hourly reports and comments posted here will probably be your best forecast guide.
    Thanks for the update .... so many forecasts showing different scenarios. It definitely doesn’t look like any major rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

By strange coincidence the new record for Oranmore yesterday was..... 33.3

(But due to the back yard being a bit of a Sun/heat trap you could probably lob 3 off that for the locality)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ECM is a thing of beauty this morning for more great summer weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I feel like similar questions to this have been asked a million times today :P.

There as also a climate change variable affecting the Jet Stream if you believe Jennifer Francis (and I don't see any reason not to)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-arctic-is-getting-crazy/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met Eireann's model temp forecast for my town.Please someone tell me that this is a joke:

0IQhHnv.png

Same model has Claremorris top temps generally around 27, poss 28; while those in Athenry are 28, poss 29. Yet here, 30, poss 31... AGAIN :(:(:(:(:(

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Akrasia wrote: »
    There as also a climate change variable affecting the Jet Stream if you believe Jennifer Francis (and I don't see any reason not to)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-arctic-is-getting-crazy/

I imagine that this could possibly be a bigger factor:

cdas-sflux_ssta_atl_1.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

That map is never like that.

Itl be hot till the end of July at this rate and wel be all zombies with no sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

pauldry wrote: »
    That map is never like that.

Itl be hot till the end of July at this rate and wel be all zombies with no sleep.

Nah, we will all have 'no fcuks given' Mediterranean personalities. I already feel mine developing nicely :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met Eireann's model temp forecast for my town.Please someone tell me that this is a joke:

0IQhHnv.png

Same model has Claremorris top temps generally around 27, poss 28; while those in Athenry are 28, poss 29. Yet here, 30, poss 31... AGAIN :(:(:(:(:(

Only thing for it, head to seafest, chance of a sea breeze?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rising quickly here near Tralee, 23C atm

Virga streaks just now

7pwxuF5.jpg?1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Think I'll start reading Frank Herbert's "Dune" to get a few tips on survival :)

Cloud approaching the S /SW coast that should be making it's way inland. Time to catch some rays !

23.8C now

uGcJhbu.gif

51SmNOO.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I see a yellow drought warning up now

Seven Worlds will Collide

Latest AROME Temperature predictions.

aromehd-41-16-0_qfl0.png

522_xtl8.png

definitely a bit cooler here this morning, currently 19C, but that is still a fantastic temperature for this time of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sunny here on the cork coast, however I can see the cloud over the ocean coming in :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I saw the Met Eireann Weather Warning account tweet a rainfall warning and went “wtf” but it’s actually a lack of rainfall warning :D

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1012994937825251329?s=21

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement