Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Much cloudier here now near Tralee, 20.5C down from 25.2C in a short space of time.

Can see cloud line along the coast by Kerry Head an hour or so ago, 40 mins later could hardly see the headland.

Brisk onshore breeze.

Love the warm weather but bit of a break from it today is no harm. Still pleasant mind .

The sea is lovely and warm by the way :)

tztk8Hd.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Ah yes I didn't think of that. I'm just in the Jervis Centre now and this part of town I find stifling.

Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_heat_island#Causes

It explains why cities are warmer in both Summer and Winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Met Eireann is saying 19 degrees in Dublin city but it feels so much hotter :(

I feel exactly the same. I am really struggling today. I have reached my absolute limit with this heat. I cannot bear it any more. The fact that today is apparently the "cool" day and things are set to get worse for Dublin for the foreseeable future is just too much. If there was a definite end in sight it would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Much more cloud now, some look promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It feels chillier to be honest here in Dublin 13.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

The met office in the UK just issued it's first thunderstorm warning according to sky news for South Wales and South West England. Predicting 40mm of rain and hail. Are we likely to see something similar. Near Waterford city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Shows what a great summer it has been that 20-21 degrees feels like a poor showing in dublin today. Lovely and sunny though sitting out the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Shows what a great summer it has been that 20-21 degrees feels like a poor showing in dublin today. Lovely and sunny though sitting out the garden

It's gas that 21c is cool. Normally that temperature is a great summers day in Ireland. Currently 24c here in Enniscorthy.
    There's a big bank of what looks like sea fog away to the south it's been hanging there for the last couple of hours,not a cloud in the sky here though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big change from the French models for Sunday through Tuesday , heavy rain in places on this run and convective in nature. Must be noted that there is a big difference between the models all showing something different eg the WRF doesn't show the heavy rain reaching us nor does the HIRLAM. Lots of chopping and changing with the next few runs I would expect.

tempresult_wtd7.gif

arpegeuk-25-66-0_nnx1.png

tempresult_eim7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Lovely breeze here in kildare today temperatures still up around 25 and was hovering around 26 at one stage but the breeze is making it bearable... it will more than likely jump up another few degrees..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

First day in a long time checking the rainfall radar, feels weird !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I can see now why countries in the Mediterranean have a Siesta in the afternoon this weather would wreck ya:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Big change from the French models for Sunday through Tuesday , heavy rain in places on this run and convective in nature. Must be noted that there is a big difference between the models all showing something different eg the WRF doesn't show the heavy rain reaching us nor does the HIRLAM. Lots of chopping and changing with the next few runs I would expect.

tempresult_wtd7.gif

arpegeuk-25-66-0_nnx1.png

tempresult_eim7.gif
    It’s a yo yo ...rain , no rain , rain , definitely no rain ....now rain . how do you guys in the know keep check on what chart is to be believed because I think I seen 4 or 5 now all with conflicting data. That chart is giving substantial enough coverage of rain..rain that isn’t really in any other forecast...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hazy sunshine and cloudy even in West Cork, however it’s still warm. no reports of what it is like in the city yet.

It's around 24C with a nice breeze. Sunny with some clouds. Lovely day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Clear blue sky and sunshine in the north east, breeze making it very pleasant instead of overly hot like the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I feel exactly the same. I am really struggling today. I have reached my absolute limit with this heat. I cannot bear it any more. The fact that today is apparently the "cool" day and things are set to get worse for Dublin for the foreseeable future is just too much. If there was a definite end in sight it would help.

((HUGS))) hang on in there. day by day hour by hour.

Complex system off the Iberian Peninsula moving up into Biscay and unraveling producing big cells. How this unfolds over the next couple of days will have a lot to do with how much rain/ thunderstorms we get. We are between Hp in the Atlantic and Lp moving up towards the UK and into Europe. ARPEGE shows the weather also being blocked by the Scandinavian Hp sending it in over us. The models are playing catch up with this. A forecastors nightmare I would imagine. Very interesting to see what it has in store for us.

nDFJs3X.gif?1

2w3fJDM.gif

eW8W8Fq.gif

Jlmz1v7.gif

Cbmt9Sl.gif?1

arpegeeur-0-33_cwf5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

All this talk of drought. Thank God we don't live in a country where it rains 363 days a year,where they waste every drop that falls from the sky.!. Fook me, I don't know how we'ed cope !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

All this talk of drought. Thank God we don't live in a country where it rains 363 days a year,where they waste every drop that falls from the sky.!. Fook me, I don't know how we'ed cope !!!!

I mean the ground is rock hard, it’s more to do with the lack of water falling I think vs the amount of water stored? Maybe not

Regards the thunderstorms,it looks like a case of "look out the window and see if you spot one".

At least the low is coming from the South and not across the Atlantic this time so we'll see a return to fine weather (if we get any rain) instead of a string of Atlantic muck.

• Advertisement

I mean the ground is rock hard, it’s more to do with the lack of water falling I think vs the amount of water stored? Maybe not

Demand is higher than normal, plenty in reservoirs but the extra demand and the crumbling pipe infrastructure doesn't help.
    A normal summer here is a few days of fine weather in the mid twenties at most and the rain is never far away. This time there's been a prolonged spell of baking heat and people are watering gardens etc and IW are worried about water reserves going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

eW8W8Fq.gif

Pretty much all models don't bring that system far enough north and keep the country mostly dry with the odd thundery shower developing in to the south and a few homegrown afternoon ones(intense if you get one though).

Shame for storm lovers like me but i'm sure there will be other chances before this period is over :cool:

20c here in North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

28c @ Sligo Airport at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 31,928 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Our gombeen of a neighbour has lit a bonfire in his garden near some trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Our gombeen of a neighbour has lit a bonfire in his garden near some trees.

Call the fire brigade let em pay the call out fee soften his cough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

This year I had 57 days with 2.0mm or more, today is the 181st day of the year.
    Looking at my data for the last 6.5 years 2012 to end of June 2018 inclusive, the average with 2mm or more is 111 days a year.
    The average for 0.2mm or more is 250 days, so on average about 3.8 months of no rain for my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sjb25 wrote: »
    Call the fire brigade let em pay the call out fee soften his cough :)

Amen to that.. crazy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

RobertKK wrote: »
    This year I had 57 days with 2.0mm or more, today is the 181st day of the year.
    Looking at my data for the last 6.5 years 2012 to end of June 2018 inclusive, the average with 2mm or more is 111 days a year.
    The average for 0.2mm or more is 250 days, so on average about 3.8 months of no rain for my location.

I'd say it's warm on the sun ok. ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Reached 29.1C at my location, currently 27.9C.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Like many, you are reading a headline or believing the utter sh1te written in the sensationalist media.

There is no water shortage. BUT, without managing the extra demand, there would be shortages in a few weeks if the dry weather continued.

Now here's a question

1. Would you like people to water their grass, wash their cars and fill swimming pools leading to water being cutoff in a few weeks if the once in 40 years dry spell continues

Or

2. Restrict unnecessary water useage and ensure a supply throughout the summer even if it stays dry.

I can't see anything about a current shortage except by second rate "journalists" in tabloid rags.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement