Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good GBA games to pick up

Options
  • 18-06-2018 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Recently seen a lot of love for the gameboy advance on here latlely and decided that i might go and pick my one back up and play a few games on it. Any genre welcome.

Games i own for GBA already - minish cap & pokemon red version

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

From what I played:
    Advance Wars 1 & 2 are a must.
    Metroid Fusion & Zero Mission.
    Pokemon Emerald.
    WarioWare Twisted.
    Mario Golf.
    Tony Hawk Pro Skater is also better than it has any right to be.

Also heard praise for Fire Emblem, Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, Final Fantasy Tactics, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (which got a 3DS remake)

A lot of Snes ports on it; Super Mario World, Zelda: LTTP, Final Fantasy 6 & Donkey Kong Country. NES got a classics line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I echo much of what's listed above, just wanted to add the Golden Sun games.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Loved that console.

Think I might root it out for a fee weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

All of the Castlevania games are great - Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance and Aria of Sorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'd throw a nod to Wario Land 4, as it is a deadly puzzle-platformer and has a bit of depth to it to keep you come back.

I'd also recommend F-Zero: Maximum Velocity as it's a much smoother game than its SNES predecessor while keeping the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Lots of good suggestions, have been looking at footage of the games mentioned, they all look great!. i kinda want a GBA mini now for the tv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,021 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

There's a GBA version of Mario Kart if you want it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Drill Dozer
    Ninja Five-O
    Klonoa 1 and 2
    Astro Boy
    Mario and Luigi (might be better off getting the 3DS remake)
    Boktai 1 and 2 (It's fantastic but hard to play with Irish Weather)
    Kuru Kuru Kururin
    Warioware Twisted

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Len_007

I saw something on YouTube recently regarding the Donkey Kong Country series on GBA. Apparently, Rare built those games from the ground up, & gave the characters more frames of animation making them appear more smooth in motion. That’s some dedication, & has made me itch to check out those particular ports since.

My other suggestion would be the Wario Ware game.

• Metroid Zero Mission is king (Queen really)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Metroid Zero Mission is king (Queen really)

So, so short though. Even with the GBA bonus stuff, you're pushing it if you get 6 hours out of it.
    Len_007 wrote: »
    I saw something on YouTube recently regarding the Donkey Kong Country series on GBA. Apparently, Rare built those games from the ground up, & gave the characters more frames of animation making them appear more smooth in motion. That’s some dedication, & has made me itch to check out those particular ports since.

My other suggestion would be the Wario Ware game.

Can confirm the DKC games on the GBA, for all their graphical cutback, play like a dream. On a similar note, Capcom handed off porting duties of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo to Ubisoft and Ubisoft, for their credit, just rebuilt the game from the ground up to optimize it for the GBA. It plays fantastic, even with being short 2 buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭megaten

Wasn't released in Europe but the Summon Night: Swordcraft Story games were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Parasol Stars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The first of the Rhythm Paradise series, Rhythm Tengoku, was on the GBA and pretty great.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm_Tengoku

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tales of Phantasia, Sword of Mana, Lunar Legend, Lufia, Megaman Battle Network, Boktai

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sword of Mana is not good. When the characters have a discussion on whether the main villain might not actually be evil for 15 minutes you know it's an animified **** show..... The main villain is called Dark Lord, FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

The crash bandicoot games are really good on the GBA well worth a play

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The crash bandicoot games are really good on the GBA well worth a play

Oh, we'll have to agree to disagree!
    Those and the Spyro games on the GBA I didn't enjoy at all.

But, I am a man of simple tastes, as long as there's a decent version of Mr Driller I'm sound as a pound!

The Megaman Zero games are great is insanely tough. Might be better off with the Zero collection on DS though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Rock n roll racing, still one of the best racing games ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Onimusha Tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Golden Sun 1+2, Advance Wars 1+2, Mario Kart.

If you're looking for a very immersive RPG that will take forever to beat, Medabots is good. Requires huge patience though, it's very unforgiving.

Advertisement