Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 pro worth it?

Options
  • 18-06-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

I've been tossing around the idea of upgrading to a PS4 pro for awhile now, but is it actually worth it, does it really make that much of a difference? I have a decent 4k tv that I'm really not using to it's full potential by playing on my PS4 that I've had since launch(which has gotten incredibly loud). With a potential PS5 just around the corner is it really worth investing in one at this late stage in the console cycle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I've been tossing around the idea of upgrading to a PS4 pro for awhile now, but is it actually worth it, does it really make that much of a difference? I have a decent 4k tv that I'm really not using to it's full potential by playing on my PS4 that I've had since launch(which has gotten incredibly loud). With a potential PS5 just around the corner is it really worth investing in one at this late stage in the console cycle?

To be honest, when it came to Horizon and God of War, while I though the 4k was amazing on both, I switched both to favour performance after a while. I still maintain it's the HDR that makes the biggest difference versus 4k, as the 4k depends more on how big your screen is and how far away from it you are.

That said, there was a noticeable improvement in framerate in GOW when I switched it, and the game looked even better than it had. Same with Horizon.

So I'm happy I switched to the Pro, for both the choice to have better performance or 4k where available, but the 1TB HDD was also a big selling point for me as by that time I began making the switch to downloading games rather than buying disk (as I moved house and got a much better internet connection).

Word is PS5 could still be late 2020, possibly even 2021. It's still a few corners away. Ultimately I think it depends on how often you play and if the games you like are ones which will likely take advantage of the bump in graphics/performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I switched to the Pro and dont even use a 4k or HDR tv and im happy with the upgrade

Just runs a hell of a lot smoother, and no random losses of framerate

Will surely get the guts of 3 if not 4 years before PS5 is an option worth getting anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

No, in my opinion, considering you have a PS4 already.

I'd say maybe if someone was dipping in for the first time and it was a toss up between PS or PS4 ....or they were interested in PSVR.
    For standard games....nahh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I upgraded after getting a 4K TV, and the difference is definitely noticeable. The firs thing I noticed was the clothing on the characters in Infinite Warfare. I could see individual stitching compared to blurred stitching. It also future proofs your console, and if there are 3 or more years before the PS5, I'd recommend it! Plus, new warranty! And you'll get to play through old games again in 4K(ish), which is nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 SniperOverLord

Yeah, definitely is. Frame rates are definitely better in games. Really noticed improved framerates in Ghost Recon Wildlands. Old PS4 had HDR ability as well so no real gain there. One of the other huge advantages is that the console doesn't sound like its about to take off after half an hour of being switched on.................

• Advertisement
Advertisement