Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The approach to which airport have you found the most visually scenic or exciting?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Southerly approach to Istanbul at night is impressive if there's no problems with visibility, the sheer number of aircraft on the approach is very though provoking, they track aircraft outbound either side of the final approach track, then turn them in to get the minimum separation.

The old 7 degree approach into London City from the jump seat of a Dash 7 was thought provoking, as is the Bovingdon Hold and onward into Heathrow on a busy day if there's no cloud about.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I visually love the approach to any airport where i'm going on holiday.
    The one i hate the most is when i'm coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Potomac river approach to DC as mentioned previously (fun on a small regional American Eagle jet), Vienna approach from the countryside is always bumpy for some reason. My favourite is Nice Cours Saleya approach which makes for an interesting ride on a windy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The old Hong Kong airport (Kai Tak) approach over the city looks like it was very interesting indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

Dubrovnik is stunning I must say. Wonderful city too. Have to mention Vegas too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,705 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

VG31 wrote: »
    I've been on this approach before but unfortunately the weather was bad. The only landmark I saw was St Paul's.

The city approach over Vienna is great also.

I was fortunate enough to have a lovely sunny approach to LCY back in 2015.

Here's a few shots I took along the way...

Agreed about Vienna - did that this month and yes it's beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

VG31 wrote: »
    I flew into Innsbruck last month. The approach down the valley between the mountains is stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTXGhE6bwBM

inn.jpg

Thanks.

I think any method of transport into Innsbruck is awe-inspiring. Your youtube is bringing back memories of my train journey <--> This is nice to see the views and skyline from above though.

Cool idea for a thread btw.
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

Courchevel . The yt is taken with the aircraft below the camera, not above it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pK9uqF4y7c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Flew into Hong Kong last week and it seems we were actually a few feet from the river when we hit the runway! I was actually getting a bit worried as it seemed we were getting extremely close to the water before I heard the thud of the wheels on the runway. That's the downside to not being able to see straight ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I had the pleasure of landing in Kai Tak in the 90's on the upper deck of a 747... it was quite the ride in.

Ive also been fortunate enough to fly the expressway visual into LGA (linked in another post) and the Canarsie approach into 13L at JFK. Its stunning having a tight turn so close to the ground in a heavy jet.

13L JFK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Og8lUua91E

Special mentions go to 34 at DUB, either of the 27's at LHR and any approach into HKT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

El Alto airport in La Paz was an interesting place to fly into.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

El Alto airport in La Paz was an interesting place to fly into.
    Is it true they have to land at higher speeds for to the altitude? Remember reading that in a novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Rwy 10 St Barts, theres a steep drop just before landing, you get that rollercoaster stomach drop sensation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

McCarron (Vegas) is stunning - it's - desert - desert - desert - VEGAS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Alice Springs - Just amazing!
    Flying in over Uluru on the final approach then descending to the runway nestled between to long low mountain ranges.
    Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I love coming in over Dublin bay , over Howth and the view of Howth and to Lambay Island or Dun Laoire with its long piers . The mountains behind the city and the sea glistening under you . Glorious

Dubrovnik was beautiful arriving along the coast from the north and the islands and coastline is stunning

Madeira was interesting ! You fly into a runway on stilts above the sea

Vancouver . Approaching it from north and seeing the mountains and glaciers and beautiful green lakes below

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is it true they have to land at higher speeds for to the altitude? Remember reading that in a novel.

Not sure, but I know the engines need to have higher thrust ratings for high altitude airports as the air is less dense - therefore they have to work harder to produce the thrust required to take off.
    I guess in theory that landing would be similar in that thinner air would result in less airflow over the wings and therefore less lift. Hence higher speeds required to compensate and prevent stall conditions.

However, I'm not an aerodynamicist.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Not sure, but I know the engines need to have higher thrust ratings for high altitude airports as the air is less dense - therefore they have to work harder to produce the thrust required to take off.
    I guess in theory that landing would be similar in that thinner air would result in less airflow over the wings and therefore less lift. Hence higher speeds required to compensate and prevent stall conditions.

However, I'm not an aerodynamicist.

I reckon the stall speed remains the same, but with thinner air you need a higher true airspeed and therefore ground speed for the pitots to register that same indicated airspeed (and for the wings to “feel” that airspeed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

trellheim wrote: »
    the old hong kong over the city, I did this a couple of times. ...............
    JCX BXC wrote: »
    The old Hong Kong airport (Kai Tak) approach over the city looks like it was very interesting indeed!
    I had the pleasure of landing in Kai Tak in the 90's on the upper deck of a 747... it was quite the ride in..................

As soon as I saw the thread title I was going to say Kai Tak, I flew in and out of there three times a year for nearly four years it was spectacular, the view of the city and then the hard right-hand bank at the Lion Rock chequerboard. A great way to finish a thirteen hour flight and get you in the humour for the city.
    Flew into Hong Kong last week and it seems we were actually a few feet from the river when we hit the runway! I was actually getting a bit worried as it seemed we were getting extremely close to the water before I heard the thud of the wheels on the runway. That's the downside to not being able to see straight ahead.
    That's Chek Lap Kok, the "new" airport, a much smoother experience than Kai Tak. I only flew out of there once, job done tools packed.

The other choice I would make is Cork, my home airport after a long time away working, or even a after a long holiday. To fly in and see the harbour, the satellite towns, then all the little villages, the city suburbs, and finally the farms and houses near the airport, and then land home. It's special. But, many people could substitute their own home airport and feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Cedrus wrote: »
    But, many people could substitute their own home airport and feel the same.

Yeah, I'm the same with Dublin airport now since moving to the states. Going to be flying in there in August and there is something very exciting about coming home, getting ready to turn on the phone once I'm on the ground and start calling people I haven't seen in months or maybe even years to arrange for pints. The sight of Howth coming into view out the window, banking round, coming in usually through a thick grey cloud and into the rain (I live somewhere where it never rains), bit of turbulence, looking down at the GAA fields along the old road beside the runway that I used to play on before moving away. Then off into the thick of the city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement