Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU lawyer Job Market Cork

Options
  • 18-06-2018 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Was not sure where I could find more information, so though maybe someone here could help.
    My boyfriend and I are Portuguese and want to move to Ireland-
    I work-in in management and will graduate soon in business with HR and from what I saw, I will not have many problems in finding jobs in this area.
    Our only problem is that my boyfriend is a lawyer here in Portugal and wants to practice in Ireland, we know he has to take the QLTT exams.
    Just wondering If someone here is a solicitor who we could talk to better to know how they are in accepting EU lawyers here, and if there are any other jobs beside being a solicitor which he can do with his law degree before taking the QLTT exam.
    We’re just a bit lost and would really appreciate more information, also If someone has been in this situation please let us know.
    Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

I'm not a solicitor so this is general advice - but hopefully of some use.

The most important thing would be his (and your) level of English. Your post suggests that you're pretty fluent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages

is a useful guide.

There are several multinationals in Cork e.g. Apple, Amazon, Dell/EMC and the big pharma companies. These may be options for both of you.

I'm not sure how 'in-demand' Portuguese is - My feeling is that it's not that big - German and French are more in demand. However, networking in the local Portuguese ex-pat community would be very valuable - I'd expect this to help you to uncover several opportunities.

As for your boyfriend, if he has good EU law experience, then this would be of benefit - again his English language skills are important here.

Hopefully, this info is a start.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ForeignLawyer

I am also a EU qualified lawyer in Ireland and I recently started thinking about compliance, instead of qualifying as a solicitor. It might be a good idea for people who do not want to go through the QLTT exams.

The truth is that 95% of employers are looking for qualified solicitors, I have seen very few job adds so far that would accept a European qualified lawyer and, honestly, it makes sense.

Advertisement