Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 penalty points query

Options
  • 18-06-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I mistakenly told my car insurance company that I had 4 penalty points, when I actually had 6.
    I now intend on informing them of my mistake but I am afraid they might cancel my policy for fraud, is this likely?
    Also, my premium was 900, how much of a price increase should I be expecting if my policy is not cancelled?

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nobody knows what the insurers reaction might be.

p.s. Having said that it's much much better for you to contact them than the other way around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Will they ever find out, what with GDPR and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Erm yes.,gdpr does not apply here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Just punch 6 penalty points into 123 or chill to get a rough idea of what your new quote will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

It depends, if they accept 6 points at inception then they will likely just charge an additional premium but if they don't accept 6 points then they might go further

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

adamh765 wrote: »
    Hi,

I mistakenly told my car insurance company that I had 4 penalty points, when I actually had 6.
    I now intend on informing them of my mistake but I am afraid they might cancel my policy for fraud, is this likely?
    It's much more likely if you don't correct the record, but they find out through other mechanisms.

Plus, if they are going to cancel your policy, you want this to happen before you have a claim. The worst case scenario is that an accdident happens, a claim is put in against you, the insurers investigate your situation, find out your mis-statement, and cancel your policy.

Tell them immediately, in writing. Keep a copy. If they do seek to assess you to a higher premium (or if they cancel your policy, which I kind of doubt they will) you can go and look for quotes elsewhere.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

judeboy101 wrote: »

Doesn't matter.

The duty rests with the insured to make a full disclosure, or face the consequences, which are potentially quite nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I would have thought whether 4 or 6 points it relates to 2 offences which you have presumably declared both of anyhow. Probably won't impact and you absolutely have to let them know.

Many insurers check licence details against the official database at either inception or renewal now so opportunities to inform them wrong are becoming less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 adamh765

I informed them of my mistake, they were happy I corrected the policy and charged me an extra 198 euro, which is a lot better than I was expecting! Moral of the story just declare penalty points!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

198 on what original policy cost?

I had 6 for a few weeks that unfortunately included a renewal. As far as I could tell it cost me about 50 quid versus 0, 4 being basically the same as 0. This was on a 600 quid fully comp policy

All gone now and I've had no reduction due to the general increases and no difference from 6 years NCB to 11 years

• Advertisement
Advertisement