Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Rental and Route Suggestions - Dublin

Options
  • 18-06-2018 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all - 

I'm traveling to Dublin next week, and I'm in the midst of training for a triathlon, so would like to rent a road bike and get out one morning before my work day starts. 

I'm staying near St Stephen's Green, so could anyone suggest:

1. a good shop to rent a road bike from, that might even drop it at my hotel?
    2. a good route or two that gets me out of the city and into the countryside or some sites; I'm looking to go ~30 miles round trip. The more scenic, and less traffic, the better!

Thanks in advance, been a long time since I've been, so looking forward to it!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hi all - 

I'm traveling to Dublin next week, and I'm in the midst of training for a triathlon, so would like to rent a road bike and get out one morning before my work day starts. 

I'm staying near St Stephen's Green, so could anyone suggest:

1. a good shop to rent a road bike from, that might even drop it at my hotel?
    2. a good route or two that gets me out of the city and into the countryside or some sites; I'm looking to go ~30 miles round trip. The more scenic, and less traffic, the better!

Thanks in advance, been a long time since I've been, so looking forward to it!

https://roadbikehire.ie

Get in touch with Cathal there. He repairs bikes too but can deliver around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

If using Cathal I would suggest getting a taxi out to collect the bike and head from there (Shankill/Ballybrack) as it will eliminate all city traffic and you can either head into the dublin hills or down the coast towards Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mi16

Another option could be to check with ThinkBike in Rathmines (www.thinkbike.ie) - who are likely to do rentals. I see online that they do demo bikes pre-purchasing so may have a fleet from which you could rent. Worth an email anyway if Cathal @ roadbikehire doesn't work out. Rathmines is nicely within walking distance of Stephens Green too and you could be out in the countryside in about 5 miles.

As a suggested route, here is one.. https://goo.gl/maps/33M4h9X1sPD2
    Rathmines - Military rd - Glencullen - Enniskerry - Stepaside - Rathmines About 30 miles with a bit of climbing early on but an enjoyable route with decent surfaces and routes in/out of the city. At the top of Military Rd there is a great view of across the city and Dublin bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If using Cathal I would suggest getting a taxi out to collect the bike and head from there (Shankill/Ballybrack) as it will eliminate all city traffic and you can either head into the dublin hills or down the coast towards Wicklow.
    Or LUAS to cherrywood and walk 15 minutes

But you are probably better off getting it dropped to Hotel.

Advertisement