Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fractured Tibia (broken ankle)

Options
  • 18-06-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Fractured my Tibia last week out cycling, bike slipped and stuck my leg out and then there was a massive crack. I have plastercast up to my knee, the ankle bit was broken off on the inside of the leg.

Anyone have a similar injury and how long was the recovery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Best ask your orthopaedic surgeon, as there is a huge range and management options depending on what type of fracture it is , its location and involvement of other joints and ligaments, a small avulsion fracture of the tip of the fibula will usually heal much faster than a displaced Weber B involving the distal tibiofibular joint.

But minimum 6 weeks , thats a minimum, most take longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I had what the doctors described as a "bad but clean" fracture on the ankle a few years back. Six weeks in a cast and another four not applying pressure. Had 5 screws put in as part of the operation one of which was subsequently removed.

Thankfully no real side effects since unless I have had a long drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Steoller

For me it was six weeks with a cast, and then maybe another two months of physio. I wasn't fully happy with running on it for eight months after I broke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mf1000

Firstly, my commiserations. Breaking a leg is no fun and I'm sure you aren't looking forward to not being able to cycle this summer.

I had a similar injury at a cyclocross race in September. I had a double fracture low in the tibia and my fibula looked like it had exploded. I now have a metal plate holding the 3 pieces of bone together. The impression I got from the doctor was that is was on the bad end of the scale so, hopefully, your recovery will be much quicker.

Over the first 3 months, I went through 3 back-slabs (plaster of paris), 2 fiberglass casts and a plastic boot that looked like it came from a stormtrooper uniform.

Once I got out of the casts in Debember, my ankle had very little movement and I spent a few months doing stretching exercises. The muscles in my leg were visibly smaller than those on the good leg and I also had to do leg strengthening exercises.

I was able to do a couple of very easy rides on the turbotrainer in December and was doing a couple of sessions per week in January & February. In March I also managed a couple of road/gravel spins.

In April, I was mixing the turbo with road and MTB.

I have run a few times in the past couple of months but the leg always complains a few days later.

I'm 9 months down the road now. The ankle still swells up a bit when I sit for a long time - I believe this can go on up to about 12 months. I can cycle as much as I want and this seems to help to loosen the ankle. Walking on rough terrain is still a chore. I think I'll have to postpone my running comeback for a while longer.

I found the turbotrainer fantastic in my recovery and it helped to keep be sane. In fact, I was fitter in April than I had been in September.

Hope this helps,

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Turns out that the fracture is a medial maleolus which is a minor fracture, didn't know this until I met my own doctor after returning from France. The fracture didn't require any surgery just had to replace the cast, the cast is a backslab and it goes up to my knee.

Have been in the cast now since the 8th of June, have a meeting with the Orthopedic Doctor in fracture Clinic on this Wednesday 4th of July. Hopefully I will be getting the cast off (depending on x-ray) and I'll be getting a boot, which will be load bearing. I'm going on Holidays on the 11th of July and I explained this to the doctor so he's making an exception in my case, he said that normally they leave you in a cast for 6 weeks with this kind of injury, bones normally take about 4 weeks to heal, but its a mild fracture and because I'm relatively young depending on the x-ray on Wednesday I hope to be getting the cast off..... fingers crossed.

So all going well it will be just 3 1/2 weeks in the cast. will still have to take it handy with the boot and no walking to much. Thanks for the replies so far.

Hope to be back on the bike when I get back from holidays for a few nice short spins on the flat or maybe even the turbo trainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don’t rush it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Boscoirl wrote: »

Looks the job, should have left the cycling shoes on and got them to plaster around the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mf1000

Turns out that the fracture is a medial maleolus which is a minor fracture, ...

That's great news, you'll be back on your feet in no time.

When you do get going, your ankle will probably be very inflexible. The physio will give you some very simple exercised. Do these often - they are very effective. Also, when walking with other people, make them walk at your pace. You can easily find yourself pushing to keep up with them and that won't do you any good.

Just an update, was back at the hospital last Wednesday week. They said the bone had healed and that I could start weening myself off the crutches and the boot. So kicked the boot straight away but it took a few more days with the crutches.
    Been doing a bit of physio which has made a big improvement - limp is nearly gone now....... and I’m back on the bike 3 spins done already. It’s been a long hot summer...... Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,067 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Do the physio for as long as they will have you.
    Don't take any shortcuts, carry out all the exercises to the letter.

Advertisement