Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spironolactone For Hormonal Ance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I was put on this a little over a month ago after a hormonal birth control caused some bouts of persistent acne around my mouth, which I had never had before. My dermatologist was very optimistic about Spironolactone, but told me that it would take a solid 3 months before I saw improvement.

I'm a month in and my skin has almost completely cleared up. Now I don't know if that's the spiro or if it's because my hormones finally got themselves back together after the BC (I started taking it in Feb and stopped in mid-March when I realized I was getting unusual breakouts).

However, one thing I have noticed is that I'm going to the bathroom more frequently and I'm not carrying as much water weight or bloat, which is really nice. It's also supposed to inhibit facial hair growth, which, as a woman with very dark hair and pale, sensitive skin that goes red at the slightest irritation (like razors or waxing or chemical hair removers), I could always use some help with. But I'm happy to continue on with it and see where I am in a few more months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭ninjabox

That sounds good thanks Metaoblivia! At least I know then that it does get prescribed in Ireland, glad your skin has cleared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

ninjabox wrote: »
    That sounds good thanks Metaoblivia! At least I know then that it does get prescribed in Ireland, glad your skin has cleared up.

Actually, I'm in the US, but it is not technically on the list for acne issues here, but derms can still prescribe it. From what the dermatologist said, it has very low side effects, so I don't see why it wouldn't be available in Ireland, and I know it's been prescribed for PCOs cases in Ireland, which have similar issues.

Advertisement