Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a 27” iMac as a screen?

• 18-06-2018 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever done this?

I have a 27” iMac which has a great screen, unfortunately it randomly shuts down, sometimes after 20 mins, sometimes after a week, totally random and unpredictable.

It’s mostly used for browsing and downloading but it so unreliable it spends most of its time off right now.

I was considering buying a new Mac mini and was wondering if I could use the existing screen as the screen for that?

Can it be done? Can it be done with not having to fiddle with keyboard commands all the time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

I have done this with 2 21.5 iMacs. The older mid 2011 one was unusable due to graphics glitches, but it works perfectly well as a second monitor for a 2013 iMac using a Thunderbolt cable.

Looks like more recent iMacs don't support Target Display Mode https://support.apple.com/en-ie/ht204592.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I tried recently with a 2017 Imac and a 2015 Macbook Pro

I had a USB C to VGA and HDMI converter

Plugged it in, but couldn't get it to work

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement