Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer of property within the Fair Deal

Options
  • 18-06-2018 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Basically my Mother went into a nursing home 2 years ago. She availed of the ancillary loan facility in the fair deal scehme.

Her home is now getting a bit run down and she wants to transfer the property to me. I understand that I will have to repay the loan amount outstanding and the remaining amount that was assessed as her contribution at the beginning of the process.

I was just wondering if that is all I will need to pay? If she gifts the property to me, is her assessed contribution still the same as when she entered the nursing home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Voltex1977 wrote: »
    Basically my Mother went into a nursing home 2 years ago. She availed of the ancillary loan facility in the fair deal scehme.

Her home is now getting a bit run down and she wants to transfer the property to me. I understand that I will have to repay the loan amount outstanding and the remaining amount that was assessed as her contribution at the beginning of the process.

I was just wondering if that is all I will need to pay? If she gifts the property to me, is her assessed contribution still the same as when she entered the nursing home?
    I would check this out further and discuss with the NHSS support office. There's a possibility that the house might be treated as a transferred asset, particularly if it is transferred before the 3 year cap kicks in. Transferred assets are not capped. You need to be certain as to how the HSE will treat the asset vis your mother's contribution to her fees.

I'd nearly be inclined to wait and delay the gifting if there is any uncertainty.

Advertisement