Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Abandonment

Options
  • 18-06-2018 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

How would I go about proving that someone has abandoned their property? I am looking to take over the council tenancy of my family home as my mother has abandoned it several months ago. My brother and I are currently on the housing list ironically because my mother threw us out last year. The house hasn't been lived in about 6 months now (as she currently lives with her fiance in another county) and I wish to take it over so that my brother and I have a permanent place to stay as we are currently homeless.

I have found a document which outlines that I have a right to apply for succeeding the tenancy. I'm just not sure how I can prove she doesn't live there? Would I be able to get in touch with her utility providers to show a reduction in energy consumption? What are my options...

The local authority is Dublin City Council

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

6 months is not abandoned and not uncommon for council properties to be empty for a good amount of time - your mother is still the tenant I guess and can come back any time
    To succeed the property you would have had to be living there in the first place and the main tenant passed on

Sorry for your situation but you are probably better off examining other avenues, the waiting list is pointless - you will probably be on it for the rest of your life before been offered anything. Apply for HAP and look at private accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Am I reading this wrong but a mother just walked out and left her two children and now you and your brother have nowhere to go? If I am reading it right ye poor things. First I would ring social services and let them help ye. Ye will need a lot more that walls and a roof. What age are ye? Are ye still going to school every day? How are ye paying the bills etc... have ye food? Regular nutritious meals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

bertsmom wrote: »
    Am I reading this wrong but a mother just walked out and left her two children and now you and your brother have nowhere to go? If I am reading it right ye poor things. First I would ring social services and let them help ye. Ye will need a lot more that walls and a roof. What age are ye? Are ye still going to school every day? How are ye paying the bills etc... have ye food? Regular nutritious meals?

Doesn't say they're children

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

OP Please don't open multiple threads rephrasing the same question.

As this is subject to an existing thread in another forum, thread closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The o/p is apparently 24, although doing his leaving cert.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement