Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life's Little Pleasures

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

FTA69 wrote: »
    Looks lovely and all but have they no cups over in France?

:P

It's funny, this is the only house I'd ever drink coffee in a bowl in. It just feels... right. Warms the palms on a cold winter's morning... (not needed today in fairness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

1. Taking my watch off when I know I'm not going back out for the night and can just relax
    2. Buying new socks and/or jocks
    3. Walking my dog, anywhere, anytime
    4. Listening to my dog lightly snore on the floor next to my bed when I'm drifting off to sleep
    5. Finding a suit/shirt/t-shirt that fits you perfectly
    6. Watching my dog meet a dog she knows out on her walk

Not really fond of my dog, you can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

enda1 wrote: »
    :P

It's funny, this is the only house I'd ever drink coffee in a bowl in. It just feels... right. Warms the palms on a cold winter's morning... (not needed today in fairness)

My huge wide coffee mug lost its handle so now is a bowl and I love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

FTA69 wrote: »
    For me:
    1) Putting a hot pan into the sink, hearing that hiss and for a second imagining yourself as a blacksmith.

That will warp the fk out of your pan dude.

I let my pans cool really slowly on top of the hob i've just used to cook.

I can't pretend I am an ancient swordmaker or anything, but at the same time, I've got pans which heat very evenly.

And to answer the question in the OP - I would have to say that a simple pleasure in my life is a nice, evenly heated pan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,885 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

When you wake up to see your baby smiling at you in the bed beside you because mammy has taken her in for a cuddle ,
    Under dogs winning matches or drawing at the world cup .
    The first bite of a wholenut on a Saturday night when you sit down to watch a Movie,
    Hitting the road early when you've a long road trip and the sun is shining and not a car on the road,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Winning an argument on the internet.

Or at least I hope it'll feel good. I don't think it's ever happened yet.

Sitting on a rock, half way up Mullaghmore in the Burren, eating a cheese sandwich. Carrying my 3 year old daughter up that hill on my shoulders, then the next year, helping her walk it herself by holding her hand, and this year, watching her do most of it on her own and telling her how proud I am of her that she's able to keep on going even when her legs are tired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

A nice liberating poo - the ones with the big plonk
    New sheets on the bed
    Getting a run of green lights when driving
    When you finally figure out something that has been wrecking your head
    Being able to fix something that nobody assumed you could fix
    Popping your ears or getting water out of your ear
    Your kids laughing hysterically when you do something funny
    Back hugs from my wife - when she creeps up behind me and hugs me
    When the wife takes the kids off to her parents and leaves me home alone
    All day session with my childhood mates - can't remember the last time!!
    Doing something selfless for a complete stranger and making their day
    First slice of toast with real butter and marmalade with sweet tea after you had an operation and been fasting for 24 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Parcel Motel notifications. Parcel Motel locker swinging open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

7nn3QPb.jpg

The antici -

- pation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Sky King wrote: »
    That will warp the fk out of your pan dude.

I let my pans cool really slowly on top of the hob i've just used to cook.

I can't pretend I am an ancient swordmaker or anything, but at the same time, I've got pans which heat very evenly.

And to answer the question in the OP - I would have to say that a simple pleasure in my life is a nice, evenly heated pan.

Yes, that practice is not recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

A cancelled meeting notification

Waking up at 8am and realising the 2 year old slept in a bit, and didn't wake up at 5.42am like every other day for the last month.

Cold, dry morning, cycling into work past hundreds of cars stuck in traffic.

A massive filthy chipper for dinner, when you're not bothered cooking after a long day at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Walking my dog.

The daft ****er seems to forget he gets a walk every day .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Sitting out my back garden on a sunny Saturday with a beer, reminiscing about all the Saturdays I spent last year viewing house after house after house dreaming about sitting in the back garden on a sunny day instead of viewing houses.

Sitting in a restaurant on a Friday evening gazing at my girlfriend through candle light knowing we have a whole weekend free together ahead of us.

Driving on a sunny day listening to good music and seeing everybody smiling and in good spirits.

Sitting on grass with a beer in the sun at an outdoor gig waiting for the main act to start.

Yes sun is a predominant theme, it's so rare that when you get it in Ireland you appreciate it all the more.

Freedom: Knowing that I can jump in my car and head off whenever the notion takes me. Jumping in to bed at 3pm with a book. Staying up until the early hours of the morning because I can. Running on my time and not someone elses.

A mocha from Butlers on a day when I'm not feeling the best.
    Watching my stories along with a nice bottle of Kinnegar.
    Chats over dinner with my boyfriend.
    Getting lost in a book.
    Getting lost in a forest.
    The sea.
    Being with my friends.
    Getting home after an intense day and whipping off the bra and in to the jammies.
    Electric blankets in winter.
    Sitting in candlelight.
    Winter.

Alot of things make me happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

That cup of tea after cleaning the house. Don't know why, just love it. Sitting there just admiring how clean the place is with a cup of cha cha and the box on.

Another equally enjoyable is when you wake up during the weekend to a clean house. Even better when you forgot you cleaned it the night before. Love the feeling of "oh yeah, I cleaned up, guess I'll just get a coffee and check the papers".

I think I have a cleaning problem. Or lack thereof that the site of a clean house brings me uncontrollable joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

The big stretch first thing in the morning.

How your head feels after shaving it, using a safety razor

When my young fella tells me "but we are very happy" or "I wove ya Daddy"

Tucking into a big dirty fry on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Having the house free, with absolutely nothing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'm sitting outside the apartment in the Canarys, it's 20 degrees and the kid is in bed. Beer in hand

I know you're on holidays and everything, but you shouldn't really be giving alcohol to children.
    Sometimes you'll do anything to get them to sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The endorphin hit after you've had a good run/cycle/workout and just come out of a nice hot shower and can now relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Agricola wrote: »
    The endorphin hit after you've had a good run/cycle/workout and just come out of a nice hot shower and can now relax.

Yep, or a shower after a swim in the sea. Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Parcel Motel notifications. Parcel Motel locker swinging open.

The lovely "kechunk" as the door latch opens.

Going to the post office a month after you buy loads of sh*t from AliExpress and the missed delivery notifications have been building up on the hall table.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Arriving home after a tiring day, shutting the door on the rest of the world, removing my shoes and tearing off my human disguise.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

Payday, filling the car up at the local petrol station. Turning it on and watching the gauge go all the way to full.

Does it for me anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Continued...

Payday, lazy sundays relaxing in pyjamas all day eating crap, or fun lazy sundays where you go around the shops. Lying in on a Saturday morning. Lying in bed reading forums for hours (relevant)

Going for a run just before dawn and having the streets almost to yourself.

Stepping outside with your mug in your hand first thing in the morning, the damp petrichor, the birdsong, and the whole day ahead.

Seeing someone you miss.

Getting stuck into something really interesting in work and suddenly realizing it's getting dark and hours and hours have passed without me noticing.

Morning cuddles.

ETA: Bra removal at the end of the day. Ahhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Candie wrote: »
    Going for a run just before dawn and having the streets almost to yourself.

Stepping outside with your mug in your hand first thing in the morning, the damp petrichor, the birdsong, and the whole day ahead.

Seeing someone you miss.

Getting stuck into something really interesting in work and suddenly realizing it's getting dark and hours and hours have passed without me noticing.

Morning cuddles.

ETA: Bra removal at the end of the day. Ahhhh.

Googling a word I don't recognise and finding out it describes a smell that I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

A lovely little book exactly on topic
    https://www.orionbooks.co.uk/books/detail.page?isbn=9781474609678
    the first sip of beer is my favourite

THE ONLY one that counts. Everything that follows is bland by comparison, a tepid coating on your tongue. The harder you swallow, the more meaningless the excess. Perhaps, within the tragedy of the final sip you can begin to recapture...
    The first gulp! Its journey is already well advanced by the time it reaches your throat. With a frothy trail of framing gold around your lips, bitter happiness slowly permeates your palate. It seems to last a small eternity, that first sip. You drink without hesitation, gulled by your own instinct. The ritual is familiar enough: the right quantity to ensure a perfect prelude; the instant rush of wellbeing, punctuated by a contented sigh, a smack of the lips, or silence; the giddy sensation of pleasure teetering on the brink of infinity... Yet you know that the best is already over.
    You put your glass down on the beer mat and push both slightly away. Time to relish the colour - ersatz honey, cold sun. If only you were patient and wise enough to grasp the miracle behind the disappearing act. You notice with satisfaction that the brewer's name on the glass corresponds with the beer you ordered. But whatever the relation of the vessel to its contents, nothing can bridge the gap between them, or conjure liquid out of thin air. What wouldn't you give to capture and encode the secret of pure gold? Instead, you sit at your table, like a frustrated alchemist intent on keeping up appearances - each mouthful is a falling away from pleasure. Happiness has a bitter taste when you have to drink in order to forget the first sip.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Meringues to crunch while you drink your coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

B0jangles wrote: »
    7nn3QPb.jpg

The antici -

- pation

Now you're talking - popping that mother fúcker with a tea spoon is the single best feeling known to mankind:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Second only to peeling it off the jar of chocolate spread in one fell swoop, without leaving any bits at all stuck to the jar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

taking the first line of a massive bag of cocaine.

cheers me right up

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »
    Second only to peeling it off the jar of chocolate spread in one fell swoop, without leaving any bits at all stuck to the jar.

Ah chocolate spread. So nice that I had to stop buying it. It's simply too addictive.

akelly02 wrote: »
    taking the first line of a massive bag of cocaine.

cheers me right up

B0jangles wrote: »
    7nn3QPb.jpg

The antici -

- pation

I read that like this:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FfV7xZPk6aeiUU%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Isn't it interesting that most of thislist could have been compiled in any of the last dozen decades. Modern technology doesn't feature at all in our little pleasures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Cracking open a can of something fizzy, hearing the pftch and then the tisz and then the delicious taste:D

sparksfly wrote: »
    Isn't it interesting that most of thislist could have been compiled in any of the last dozen decades. Modern technology doesn't feature at all in our little pleasures.

Interesting observation!

Personally I can't think of any little pleasure I derive from modern technology that I could just as easily get from something else!

For example I love to sit down and listen to some music when I have the house to myself - generally means streaming it these days, but could just as easily be an ipod, a cd, a tape.......right the way back to the gramophone!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Kids gone to bed.
    something on TV that's not Thomas, a train, or a talking mouse!
    Cup of tea.
    Peanut butter kit kat chunky!

simply pleased :)

My favourite time of the evening is perching myself up on the bed, laptop on the knees, earphones connected listening to music on itunes while arguing with people on Boards. Oh, and a cup of tea on the locker.

• Subscribers Posts: 23 Twat-Badger

Popping a dirty big zit

Trapping her head under the covers for flatulent fun and games

Popping bubblewrap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Maybe a strange one but waking up from a very pleasant dream and actually being able to remember a lot of the details. I had a dream the other night where I met some strangers in town and between one thing and another we ended up having a coffee and a chat, and I remember thinking how nice they were and that not all people are weirdos. I know its odd and I honestly don't know where that came from but it left a nice feeling in my heart.

Popping a dirty big zit

Trapping her head under the covers for flatulent fun and games

Popping bubblewrap

Yeh..... That and stroking a four oooiron to stiff from 170.

Watching the fcuker back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Yeh..... That and stroking a four oooiron to stiff from 170.

Watching the fcuker back up.

:confused:

Does this mean what i think it means?

Kuva wrote: »
    :confused:

Does this mean what i think it means?

No!

Golf terminology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Staying up late in my lazy-boy chair sipping fine west Cork single malt whiskey & watching my favourite TV show, either Ray Donovan or Billions, knowing full well I can sleep in as I am off tomorrow.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Sitting by the sea , breathing in the salty air , just watching the waves disappear in the sand.. Soul cleansing .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

A warm shower.

I was chatting with a WW2 veteran, a tanker like me, and the subject of life’s unappreciated luxuries came up. I have two combat deployments under my belt, and I mentioned to him my opinion that the greatest luxury on earth, which most people take for granted, is a warm shower.

His eyes lit up and he exclaimed “Yes! You get it!”. There were sixty years between our two wars. But the importance of a hot shower has not changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Taking the bins out

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

A good quality fart..I'm not talking about a little whimper now .I'm talking about a force like a wolf howling at the moon when your underwear tremble with anticipation and your hole burns with the heat ...and you can just sit back and relish it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement