Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Week Blow Dry - Results not the same as before

Options
  • 19-06-2018 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Have had the 12 week blow dry done 7 times now, over the past 3 years or so. Generally got it done every 5 months or so. The first few times I got it done it was AMAZING, I have wavy frizzy thick hair and it calmed it down no end, I couldn't believe it. For the first 8-10 weeks after getting it done I didnt have to go near my hair with a straightener, when my usual was about an hour to fully straighten my hair. It then washed out over a few months, but still stayed straight and would just smooth over with a straightener. Even though it was expensive the results were well worth it for me.

I had it done in 2 separate salons and the process was the same, 3.5 - 4 hours in there. Washing at first, semi dried, put in the treatment, then sat under heat from a half hour, then ever last bit of the hair was straightened with the treatment in the hair, washed out for 10 mins, then a mask, then blow dried as normal.

The last time I got it done was in November, and it just didnt seem to work this time around. I even went back to the salon and they did it again for me, and still the results were just not there. It was the same 4 hours process as described above, but just didnt get the results at all.

I recently relocated and decided to give it another go, and booked in to a new salon on Saturday last. It was advertised as the 12 weeks blow dry too. This was totally different. Washed out, semi dried, treatment put in, but no straightening, just put under heat for a half hour, then washed out and mask, then blow try and very quick straighten, 2 hours in and out. I got the same shampoo as I got before Lisse Design, but it was a totally different treatment. At €160 to say I am disappointed is an understatement as my hair is the same as before I went in!

I am just wondering has the formula changed recently does anyone know? When I got it done before there was a very distinct smell when getting the treatment done and for weeks after in your hair, and while not very nice, it was worth it for the results I got. This one on Saturday didnt smell anything like that, and just seemed to be a fancy (extremely expensive!) conditioning treatment if nothing else.

Im not sure to go back to the salon as really disapointed with the results, or is it that the treatment has changed and I wont get those results again.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Mimojo wrote: »
    I recently relocated and decided to give it another go, and booked in to a new salon on Saturday last. It was advertised as the 12 weeks blow dry too. This was totally different. Washed out, semi dried, treatment put in, but no straightening, just put under heat for a half hour, then washed out and mask, then blow try and very quick straighten, 2 hours in and out. I got the same shampoo as I got before Lisse Design, but it was a totally different treatment. At €160 to say I am disappointed is an understatement as my hair is the same as before I went in!

It looks like they missed the very important straightening part where the keratin is bonded to your hair with the heat from the straighteners. I used to get the 12 week blow dry but haven't had it for a year because I can't afford it at the moment. I'm going to wait until I can get it done where I got it done before (Zinc in Kilmainham) because some salons are cheaper but they use inferior products or they don't do the treatment properly. In Zinc they go over the hair several times with straighteners at a specific temperature when they do the 12 week blow dry. The smell from the treatment lingers for a few weeks after.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

There are different brands of Brazilian Keratin treatments and some are more effective at calming the frizz than others. Kerastraight, Nanokeratin and Global Keratin are three of the more well known brands but there are lots of others.

Check which brand your current salon uses and then ring around a few salons and try a different brand. Also, ask how long the service is expected to take.

Formaldehyde used to be present in higher quantities in the original Brazilian blow dry products (the stinky smell) but the max limit has been drastically reduced due to the associated health risks. Some hairdressers however, may be illegally importing the stronger products that are still available overseas where there is less effective regulation. I wouldn’t recommend looking out for them though, as the health risks are pretty serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Can anyone recommend a hairdressers that does the best 12 week blow dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

The last time I got mine done everything they used was the same but they only used a GHD rather than a proper 230C straightener and the results were reduced dramatically.

The intense heat from the straightener is the only thing that bonds the treatment onto the hair so I don't know how it could work without straightening it at all.
    If you know the name of the one they used, check it online and see are they actually meant to skip that part and if not go back and complain.

You can actually buy the product online and do it yourself. I have done it a few times with the Chocococo brand and it works well and although its time consuming, it takes much same length as hairdressers do.

No, you’re actually talking nonsense about using straighteners hotter than 230c. In fact, you really shouldn’t use anything hotter than 180c if you want to maintain the integrity of your hair, especially if you colour it.

The straightening treatments have had their ingredients modified because the original treatments contained very high levels of known carcinogenic chemicals. You can still buy some of the harmful straightening products online through less reputable sources as other countries do not regulate these products to the same extent as the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

MinnieMinx wrote: »
    No, you’re actually talking nonsense about using straighteners hotter than 230c. In fact, you really shouldn’t use anything hotter than 180c if you want to maintain the integrity of your hair, especially if you colour it.

Not nonsense at all, hairdressers use a heat bonding techniques for many hair treatment in salons particularly for thick/unruly and afro type hair. While it shouldn't be used regularly at home, as long as there is a heat protecting product on the hair there is no reason at all not to use 230C once in a while on certain hair types by a professional hairdresser.

lubie76 wrote: »
    Not nonsense at all, hairdressers use a heat bonding techniques for many hair treatment in salons particularly for thick/unruly and afro type hair. While it shouldn't be used regularly at home, as long as there is a heat protecting product on the hair there is no reason at all not to use 230C once in a while on certain hair types by a professional hairdresser.

I am a professional hairdresser, trained at the Sassoon Academy in London. :-)

You might find this video interesting.

https://youtu.be/GUG1Rp2FzBk

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ToryVi

lubie76 wrote: »
    MinnieMinx wrote: »

I also heard about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bella34

Dunno where you're based but QOD is very good....well as good as you'll get with no Formaldehyde. It only takes about 1hr30 for my hair. Jesus, 4 hours is very long!!!!! I've had it done twice now. It's organic. What brand did you get done because a straightener has to be used as far as I know! How else will the stuff bond to your hair? I've gone to Gillian Edgeworth in Temple Bar

Advertisement