Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Accounting and Biology

Options
  • 19-06-2018 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Anyone else sit them and find them literally impossible to get a H1 in? I was so well prepared for both but my H1's are completely gone. In particular the Accounting paper was obscenely difficult.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelRising18

Thr000w wrote: »
    Anyone else sit them and find them literally impossible to get a H1 in? I was so well prepared for both but my H1's are completely gone. In particular the Accounting paper was obscenely difficult.

I was also hoping for a H1 in Accounting but that publsihed account completely ruined my chances. I thought the depreciation and incomplete question was nice and also found the interpretation question okay but the part (b) of question 8 was also difficult. I'm hoping the SEC will adjust the marks for the published question due to the quality of our answers to it. I don't do biology but they seem to give a difficult paper every year so you might have done better than you thought you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thr000w

I was also hoping for a H1 in Accounting but that publsihed account completely ruined my chances. I thought the depreciation and incomplete question was nice and also found the interpretation question okay but the part (b) of question 8 was also difficult. I'm hoping the SEC will adjust the marks for the published question due to the quality of our answers to it. I don't do biology but they seem to give a difficult paper every year so you might have done better than you thought you did.

Yeah, the Depreciation was fine and I actually knew Flexible Budgeting well so was okay despite the remarkable curveball that it was. Unfortunately we hadn't covered Interpretation so I was forced to do both Published and Suspense and **** the bed on both, as well as choking the Service Firm (though that's really on me, it wasn't that difficult).

I thought that Q6/Q7 were stupidly difficult. I'm not sure how the SEC expects you to handle adjustments that they're putting up for the first time tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelRising18

It's annoying that we both put so much much effort into the subject to be left disappointed because of a bad paper, that's the beauty of the leaving cert I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thr000w

Agreed. The problem with Accounting is how easily you lose marks - if you mess up one suspense adjustment, for example, then it has effects on your suspense figure (potentially), your net profit figure and your balance sheet end figures - not only for the thing you're missing, but also for the other thing you put in the wrong place.

It's an unforgiving subject. The timing is pretty harsh, too - it's one thing being able to do accounts in time in class, but faced with new adjustments under exam pressure you really need to be on top of your game. It felt like the accounts were really meaty too - compare that Flexible Budgeting question to any other Flexible question they've ever asked. It's at least twice the length, but with no extra timing allocated.

Advertisement