Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theres a rat in ma kitchen!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

:):D:D I swear my heart was going 90 the yorkie came up trumps today, better than any trap. I'm going to ring a gas installer to see about that hole under the gas hob and every drawer is getting a bleaching tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

miss choc wrote: »
    Ha ha true but it's good to know this. Anyway breaking news, one has been killed I pulled out the pantry this morning and one looking at me think Fawlty Towers episode with the cracker box! I screamed the house down as wasnt expecting to see it at 12.30 figured he was on the food search. I had something in the oven but just ran in the sitting room dog going crazy barking at it. It was quite cheeky laid vertical between the racks dead silent then when dog calmed down it when to other rack and stared down at dog barking at it. I was too nervous to go into the kitchen neighbour switched off oven the rat/mouse had disappeared now for him to go as pantry sealed.
    When Mam got home we put on the gloves and started dumping the cereal, crackers porridge etc and then he raced out onto the floor my yorkie pounced on in in 0.1 seconds a sharp quick death. Into the bin and done, washed the dog and rewarded him with a sausage roll. I don't know if there is anymore but just to kill one I delighted about. My heart was going a mile a minute seeing it.
    Wish I got a sausage roll for every rat ive caught lol

:D:D I was just so relieved I'd have given him a steak today ha that bloody trap for a week and nothing and the dog got it instant. He still has the hunting instinct in him I dont know if a cat would have acted as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭chicorytip

iphone6 wrote:
    Have a rat outside for the last week we are putting out poising and they seem to make off with the whole lot. Gonna go down to woodies for the traps there a nightmare.

They love chocolate. Break up a Cadbury's Flake or Twirl bar, mix with the granules of rat poison (Endorats is the best brand) and place in an open ended cylindrical cardboard or plastic container.

Another one today arrhh same place it wont come out from behind as dog is barking at it trying to get it how can I kill it there and then? If I can kill it I can get it out then, dog is a yorkie but cos it's a pull out pantry can't reach into the back. I need to get this one clear and move the trap from the other drawer to the pantry and dump all food they must be getting hungry now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Throw up a pic of the dead one with something to get an idea of size.

Old fearless Mam and yorkie to the rescue yet again I got Mam downstairs and I decided a tactic rem my Mam has dementia she had no fear I was nervous so asked Mam to poke him with a long stick to move him, he did up to the top shelf of the pull out pantry. She moved him again and he dropped to the floor to the delight and anger of my yorkie. We got rid and bleached all the drawers and dumped all the food there and have moved the big cheese trap over there now as I still hear one in the ceiling. I'm getting a gas guy out on Monday to check that hole and see if he can block it up All the drawers have been cleared of food and dry stuff in the sitting room. I had a good look at him when I put the dog in the sitting room and it looked like a young rat to me kinda the pointy snout and long I was gonna take a pic for HSE but didnt really want it on my phone :D Ive seen two of them dead now courtesy of the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Old fearless Mam and yorkie to the rescue yet again I got Mam downstairs and I decided a tactic rem my Mam has dementia she had no fear I was nervous so asked Mam to poke him with a long stick to move him, he did up to the top shelf of the pull out pantry. She moved him again and he dropped to the floor to the delight and anger of my yorkie. We got rid and bleached all the drawers and dumped all the food there and have moved the big cheese trap over there now as I still hear one in the ceiling. I'm getting a gas guy out on Monday to check that hole and see if he can block it up All the drawers have been cleared of food and dry stuff in the sitting room. I had a good look at him when I put the dog in the sitting room and it looked like a young rat to me kinda the pointy snout and long I was gonna take a pic for HSE but didnt really want it on my phone :D Ive seen two of them dead now courtesy of the dog.

You've got a good rat catching team with your Mam and dog, but the Big Cheese trap is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I know I'm ripping with it paid 18.99 for the kit and put it everywhere tried everything and it takes an 84 yr old woman and a yorkie to do the job. I know there is still another one there too nervous to pull out the pantry so will check later when Mam is with me. I put the trap in the pantry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Traps will only work if there is no other food stuffs in the area for the rats to feed on.

• Advertisement

Eddie B wrote: »
    Traps will only work if there is no other food stuffs in the area for the rats to feed on.
    I took everything out of pull out pantry and bleached it clean no rat in trap have the peanut butter, jam and old feta heard one scampering around ones extension ceiling today but he didn't come out to play. Thought we'd get a hat trick today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭mattser

Jaysus let us know if you intend to do airbnb

mattser wrote: »
    Jaysus let us know if you intend to do airbnb

??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Put all food and delph you use in plastic boxes , this avoids the constant bleaching while your on the hunt. No other food out except traps .Also , cover your water tank in attic and check any outside as when they are poisoned they seek water. We used sticky chocolate and caramel so they had to work for it to get it and traditional wooden traps. Good luck , get that hole sorted and check for other entry points. Hate the deckers.

Had the HSE round today to check boxes outside no rats but bait was chewed he said that was field mice. He said I don't need a gas installer round to seal up the small hole under the gas hob as they could have got in anywhere small crack, under sink, door open hard to tell. He just said to keep pantry bare with trap in it and put bit more food they are staying away cos I bleached the metal shelving so might rub it down with water to lure them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Nice one, well done.

Nice one, well done.

Rat no 3 murdered by the dog

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Throw up a pic of the dead one with something to get an idea of size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

You should start breeding from that dog and sell the pups as good ratters!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

He's probably protecting his dog grub.

The rat looks like a juvenile.

• Advertisement

😂😂 I have a feisty one all right he's on fire now after the kill. Hoping they are gone and dying of the heat

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    You should start breeding from that dog and sell the pups as good ratters!
    Unfortunately not he got the snip guess Hes channelling his frustration out on the rats

Advertisement