Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What plant is this?

Options
  • 19-06-2018 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭

Hopefully an easy question - anyone know what plant this is?

It's covering a large area outside the RSA entrance (Ballally end of Dundrum shopping center) and it's absolutely buzzing with activity - bumblebees everywhere.

PuDzypV.jpg

Some sort of lavender/sage? It's not "salvia sensation" is it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

cat mint

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Sorry to hijack your thread OP! Any idea what this might be? It's literally just spreading around the border in my garden. Assuming it's a weed but I've never seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

jellybear wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack your thread OP! Any idea what this might be? It's literally just spreading around the border in my garden. Assuming it's a weed but I've never seen it before.

It looks like tarragon to me. Is there any smell when the leaves are rubbed together? I found it has spread form one plant I had a couple of years back so now I have a few that die back in winter and resprouts when the weather warms up.

There is a smell but, not a herb type smell. Hard to describe but quite strong.
    It has literally just appeared and spread in one area this year. I'll take a picture of it in the border tomorrow and pop it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Pudsey64

macraignil wrote: »
    It looks like tarragon to me. Is there any smell when the leaves are rubbed together? I found it has spread form one plant I had a couple of years back so now I have a few that die back in winter and resprouts when the weather warms up.

Rosemary?

• Advertisement

Here's a picture of it in the bed if it's of any use!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jellybear wrote: »
    Here's a picture of it in the bed if it's of any use!

Those flowers looks like pansies to me.

Lumen wrote: »
    Those flowers looks like pansies to me.

Oh sorry, I didn't mention they're beside it. It's in a border with lots of different plants. It has no flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

+1 for french tarragon. Does it smell of liquorice/aniseed when you crush the leaves?

Well I had a look at it today and it's flowering!!:D

I think I got it a couple of years ago at the festival in St Anne's and I had moved it from another part of the garden and completely forgotten!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement