Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updates for Dell Inspiron

Options
  • 19-06-2018 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this is a naive question but I have a Dell Inspiron 3268 running Windows 10 which is fairly new. I get regular messages about Dell updates. Should I ensure I download and run all of those?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Could be part of Dell's "bloatware". What exactly is it an update for? One of its programs or drivers? Is it possible to upload a screenshot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

One recent one is labelled Dell Inspiron 3668/3268 System BIOS

crossman47 wrote: »
    One recent one is labelled Dell Inspiron 3668/3268 System BIOS

http://www.dell.com/support/home/ie/en/iebsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=87NN5

^ that's the link to the BIOS file with the list of fixes and enhancements if you wanted to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

Thanks but my question is should I go ahead? Is it useful or necessary to run these type of updates?

Thanks but my question is should I go ahead? Is it useful or necessary to run these type of updates?

That's why I'm hesitant in giving you a definite answer.

I would, but then if you're not really tech savvy and the system becomes unstable due to a driver update and you don't know how to get in to safe mode to roll it back then I'd leave it alone.

Actually, here's a good video to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Depends on who you ask really.

One the one hand : if it ain't broke don't fix it.

On the other hand : manufacturers don't just release updates for shits and giggles either.

In my opinion the best thing to do is :

1) see what the update is for
    2) see what it is supposed to be fixing and/or improving
    3) decide whether or not it's something likely to affect you and how you use your PC
    4) go from there.

Lots of updates address very specific issues such as if you are running such and such game with such and such version of video driver and you happen to do whatever at the same time it might potentially cause a system crash/hang.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lubjilek

Of course Dell update are absolutely secure for you

Advertisement