Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to Michigan via Toronto on Irish Passport

• 19-06-2018 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to travel to Michigan via Toronto as it a lot nearer than using a US airport.

In terms of visa requirements, what should I do? Should I report into the US Immigration 'shack' on the day, or should I arrange a visa pre-travel?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

By 'shack', do you mean the US immigration pre-clearance facilities in Dublin and Shannon?

As your flight from Ireland will be to Canada, you will not do US immigration in Dublin or Shannon. You will need an eTA to transit through Canada and to visit the US you will need to apply for ESTA.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭cagefactor

Apply for ETSA or you wont get into USA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You will need a US ESTA in advance
    You will need a Canadian Eta in advance

Fly Dublin to Toronto, then on to pre clearance in Toronto for US entry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

coylemj wrote: »
    By 'shack', do you mean
    My friend (US Citizen) is picking me up in Toronto Airport and we are driving back over the border to the States.

You will need a Canadian Eta in advance

As its a land border crossing you don't actually need an ESTA for the US, however it would be a good idea to get one, as if its refused you would likely be refused at the land border and it is likely to streamline processing that your passport is already in the CBP systems

• Advertisement

As its a land border crossing you don't actually need an ESTA for the US, however it would be a good idea to get one, as if its refused you would likely be refused at the land border and it is likely to streamline processing that your passport is already in the CBP systems

I recall a poster on an earlier thread saying that when travelling overland to the US from Canada, he got his ass chewed off by a cranky CBP agent for getting ESTA approval because he didn't need it!

ESTA simply affirms that you are not blacklisted for overstaying on a previous visit and your name doesn't correspond to someone on the 'no fly' list. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it will 'streamline' anything at the US/Canada border. Personally, I wouldn't bother with ESTA in the OP's situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Thanks everybody...so, I just need to get an Esta and an Eta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Cost to fly to Canada, get refused US entry, get sent back, hundreds

Cost to get an ESTA and find out before travel if you have a problem, $14 + cost of a visa. ESTA is good for 2 years. ESTA or real visa neither confers an assurance of admission but equally having either means the US hasn't blocked you,

I've got a Eta for Canada even though I arrive by train but the most likely diversion airport for my main US destination is a Canadian airport, I take no chances and will be laughing if it all goes wrong some day as I will have all the paperwork in place which helps when the chips are down

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Where did I say it was?

But while we're at it, ESTA is not a visa of any flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

coylemj wrote: »
    Where did I say it was?

But while we're at it, ESTA is not a visa of any flavour.

I picked up from your post that you were insinuating that it was.

Maybe be clearer next time

Advertisement