Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new Grass not growing

Options
  • 19-06-2018 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Hi

I removed a big palm type plant recently and did the patch up and seeded it, grass grew but the plant started to grow back, i dug it up again and exposed more roots and sprayed on weedkiller.

I put on more topsoil and compost and then seeded the patch again, 8 weeks on and no grass is growing.

I have bought more topsoil and more seeds.

Is it possible that I just got a bad box of seed or have i contaminated the soil?

Thanks

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

How much weed killer did you use ?
    What brand is it ?

All of the products I've used recently say they become inactive once in contact with soil (and water I expect).

I've been doing patches of lawn since April and have had no issues with grass growing. Same method - Spray weeds, wait for them to die back, turnover the soil and re-seed. Keep the area well watered, don't let the topsoil dry out. 2-4 weeks for strong growth.

I did have one patch that needed to be seeded a second time...fecking doves picked every seed out of a 12" square patch :D. Bit of netting over it until the grass appeared sorted that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

It may just have been too dry recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

its Roundup Weedkiller..

It may be the fact its too warm, but I watered everyday.

I will do it again and see what happens,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I've had the same problem, i'm putting it down to pigeons eating every bloody seed and dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I have had to get rid of them a bit aswell..but I also did a couple of small patches, they have grown but not great..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is a really bad time to be doing this job, probably worst possible.

The ground is probably parched from having a shrub/tree growing in it, then we have a serious bout of dry weather.

Now there is a serious bout of dry weather forecast again.

Really seeding that patch would best be left until September when it’s far more likely to take properly.

Advertisement