Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tubular Tyre glue

Options
  • 19-06-2018 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

Good day all.
    I have a set of tubs (for the first time) that I need to get the tyres glued to.

Do you have any good recommendations around Dublin to get them done well?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Do them yourself, I found them handy enough to do. Glue on the rim and glue on tub, wait till tacky and fire it on. Youtube for tutorial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Zero experience of glueing, using tape, or riding tubs ... but have you ruled out using tape to do it? Seems, from my limited reading, a much easier way to mount them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Id only use tape if I had an emergency on the road and needed to change one (puncture)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Why don't you get the guy you bought them off to glue then for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

plenty places I wouldn't go again and i would love to name and shame them as a bad glue job can have fatal consequences.

ask the mechanic for his/her process.

i want to hear, tyres need stretching, 3 coats on tyre and rim, will do it every day for 4 days so won't be ready for 5 days. least i know then they know what they're talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

koutoubia wrote: »
    Why don't you get the guy you bought them off to glue then for you?
    Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

There is nothing wrong with tape. It's easy, fast to put and it is certainly superior to a bad gluing job. Half my wheels were with tape and half with glue. I had no issues whatsoever. The one time I had a tire roll off, I had glued it (in fairness it was one of my first ventures).

Glue is a bit of pain, as to do it properly you need multiple days/layers. And when you want to get a new tyre on the rim you have to scrub and clean the glue really well.

Well said Astra. I have made the move to tape and it's as safe as glue.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Quite interesting that all I've read in this forum to date suggests tape is not as safe as glue. Now I am certainly no expert on the matter, but I'm not sure if anyone is in a position to assert they are "equally" safe unless they have either a good source, or direct experience of failings in both situations. Have the Pros started using it? Maybe things have moved on in terms of reliability of tape. It's clear that tape is much more convenient, but this is the first time I've seen suggestions it's as safe.

Well Beasty if Caragona tape can keep me upright descending The Cooley's Mountains at full tilt and at a full gallop sprint I think its ok.
    Haven't used Tufo so can't comment. Mount Caragona tape properly and it's just as good.
    Or you can use the Belgian CX way but good luck getting your tyres off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement