Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to install collar ties in pre existing attic

Options
  • 19-06-2018 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm in the process of purchasing a house and the survey came back saying that there are no collar ties in the attic where they would be expected.(no damages noted due to them missing)

The house is a small three bed terrace in drimnagh.

Any idea what kind of cost I would be looking at to add them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Ignoring any questions regarding roof design etc or why they arent there already ....
    Its pretty simple - A piece of timber (similar in size to the rafters) needs to be nailed spanning each pair of rafters (its to help keep them tied to the ridge beam in times of movement - e.g. high winds). (google it)
    So if you cant do it yourself, you could get it done for probably tens of euros excluding the timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Yeah, sorry for lack of details. I don't have pictures of the attic and can't go in to see it at the moment as it's still just sale agreed

If it is that simple, it would be something I would consider trying myself.(after trying to figure out if they are actually needed that is)

Thanks

Advertisement