Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best methods to protect trees/veg

Options
  • 19-06-2018 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

hello
    i would value any tips that you have to protect my fruit trees and fruit bushes from the birds that feast on them every year!
    Last year i hung some old dvds out of the trees but they were not very effective in keeping the birds away
    Are nets effective; if so; can you recommend one?

Also, any ideas for protecting veg from slugs:eek:, and birds as well

I was googling and came across mesh products; but would value your opinions

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

Nets to keep off birds will also keep off birds that might eat your slugs.

I've tried using nets to keep pigeons off salad crops before but strong winds can sometimes strip the net off the crop if it's not secured sufficiently or is in a position exposed to strong winds. The birds will take advantage when the net is not in place. Saw a good setup before where solid constructed 2x4inch timber made a strong frame to secure the netting for protecting the crop at a height that allowed easy access to the crop through a timber frame door, but building a sort of house of netting like this would be expensive. Otherwise its a lot of trouble to be putting netting on and off a crop as is required each time you want to work on the crop.

I find its easier just to try pick fruit crops quickly when ripe before the birds have a chance to eat all of it but it helps to grow more than I'd use myself anyhow.

For slugs encouraging wildlife that will eat the slugs seems to work best in my opinion. I just built a small pond this year to encourage frogs and think there has been a reduction in the number of slugs about the garden already although this may be just related to the dry weather and continuing to cut them in half every time I see them over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Building a cage with a timber frame is the most effective method for taller crops growing on bushes/small trees etc. It might seem expensive at first, but it will pay for itself over subsequent seasons. You would get away with a temporary arrangement of nets supported on canes for the likes of strawberries, but it is a PIA to construct/dismantle and can be awkward to pick the crop from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

hello
    i would value any tips that you have to protect my fruit trees and fruit bushes from the birds that feast on them every year!
    what types of fruit trees/bushes ... can the selection change ?
    noticed on growveg website a suggestion that different colored varieties can reduce birds interest (e.g. white, black, green and yellow varieties are not as desirable as the red or blue).
    is this a common problem in your area, what birds are we talking about ?

Advertisement