Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New three bedroom, block- and concrete-built, decent size, in Dublin?

Options
  • 19-06-2018 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I'm looking for a new house in S or W Dublin, 3-bedroom detached with an above average sq. m. floorplan; concrete built, not a little box of a place.

Is there any development - either move-in ready or in the works - fitting that description?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Budget?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭zmgakt7uw2dvfs

ted1 wrote: »
    Budget?

Budget is not a constraint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Confused by your stipulation for a 'concrete frame'? Irish houses aren't built this way.

Doop wrote: »
    Confused by your stipulation for a 'concrete frame'? Irish houses aren't built this way.

What I mean is block-built with the floors / levels separated by concrete rather than timber.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What I mean is block-built with the floors / levels separated by concrete rather than timber.

Houses haven’t been built that way in a long long long time.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

A castle?

In the country I currently live in, this is the norm and the result is a very sound-proof house.

In Ireland, how is the soundproofing in new homes? Can you hear people thudding around upstairs / downstairs, or are they quite soundproof from one room to the next?

Depends on the quality of the build, but most new builds are timber framed construction, and some may disagree /be better informed than I, but I would say no they are not that sound proof, you will generally hear someone thudding around upstairs.

If budget is no issue, and sound proofing / concrete structure a requirement would you look at a site?

Doop wrote: »
    Depends on the quality of the build, but most new builds are timber framed construction, and some may disagree /be better informed than I, but I would say no they are not that sound proof, you will generally hear someone thudding around upstairs.

If budget is no issue, and sound proofing / concrete structure a requirement would you look at a site?

Thanks for your comment. I would consider a site, if I could get one in a relatively urban area. But does a site imply that you're consigned to a one-off house in a rural area?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks for your comment. I would consider a site, if I could get one in a relatively urban area. But does a site imply that you're consigned to a one-off house in a rural area?

There are a good few infill sites all over the country in urban areas. Some with planning permissions (and been sold like that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They built apartments this way as each apartment has to be totally independent of others & fireproof between apartments. There is in no reason to build houses like this.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If budget constraints aren't an issue then a site could work for you. There are plenty of sites available in Dublin, you just won't get as much for your money as you would in more rural areas. Another option could be to buy an old house in need of extensive work, and demolish and rebuild.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    They built apartments this way as each apartment has to be totally independent of others & fireproof between apartments. There is in no reason to build houses like this.

To be fair they do build houses like this in the likes of Holland with intermediate concrete floors.

Just because the Irish and English build houses a certain way doesn't mean thats the best/only way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Its worth noting that there are apartments built using timber Frame in Dublin also. Fire Safety and Sound Transmission compliance can be achieved quite easily once done properly by the developer.

I don't know of any housing estates in Dublin at present with concrete intermediate floors, most would be timber joists of Engineered timber joist beams. Any concrete intermediate floors I have seen are typically one off's.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

kceire wrote: »
    Its worth noting that there are apartments built using timber Frame in Dublin also. Fire Safety and Sound Transmission compliance can be achieved quite easily once done properly by the developer.

I don't know of any housing estates in Dublin at present with concrete intermediate floors, most would be timber joists of Engineered timber joist beams. Any concrete intermediate floors I have seen are typically one off's.

I'm a plumber & I'l go further by saying I can't recall ever coming across houses built like this with the exception of some very old council houses in Dublin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm a plumber & I'l go further by saying I can't recall ever coming across houses built like this with the exception of some very old council houses in Dublin

Mainly in rural one off's in my experience.

In my office alone, 3 "country folk" have concrete floors and they say they would never be without them. I would personally be a fan too if I was doing a one off.

I'm also on Building Sites on a daily basis in a supervision/inspection role.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,073 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Budget is not a constraint.

sorry but couldnt resist

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Cost is a reason and a big one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

One of the housing estates I west Dublin is pre-cast concrete panels. Hansfield wood I think. Might be worth looking at.
    Not sure about the internals They may be wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,073 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ive seen some high spec new builds with concrete stairs but not intermediate floors

• Advertisement
Advertisement