Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handicap Rules

Options
  • 19-06-2018 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi

I was a member in a club for the past 4 years, I played regularly and had my handicap. I've started a new job and I'm saving for a mortgage so the amount of golf I play this year will be greatly reduced.
    Therefore I did not renew my membership and joined another club as an associate member.
    I'm just enquiring about the rules for keeping my handicap.
    I've carried it over from my last club but I believe I have to play either 3 or 4 comps in my new home club to be eligible to play open comps elsewhere.
    My two questions are: can someone confirm is it 3 or 4 comps I need to play?
    And secondly can these comps be opens in my home club or must they be interclub competitions only?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

I would have said you are free to continue playing off the same handicap as before without needing to play any comps in your new place. I htink a handicap expires after 6 months of not being a member anywhere so if you rolled over within the 6 months then you should be free to play whatever open comp you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bear83

I think you are correct to a certain extent for this year but I think if I don't play 3 or 4 comps in my new club in 2018, I may be eliminated from playing in comps for 2019.
    I've looked up other posts on here and I'm fairly certain that I must put in a number of cards.

My understanding is you are free to play where you wish this year as you have a valid handicap from last year.

For 2019 though you would have to have 3 counting competitions in your 'Home' club in the preceding 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Bear83 wrote: »
    I think you are correct to a certain extent for this year but I think if I don't play 3 or 4 comps in my new club in 2018, I may be eliminated from playing in comps for 2019.
    I've looked up other posts on here and I'm fairly certain that I must put in a number of cards.

Yeah if you want to play interclub in 2019, for some competitions (e.g. jimmy bruen, PP) there is a minimum of 4 comps to be played in 2018 at your home club.

You would still qualify this year if you played 4 comps at your old place last year.

Senior cup, barton shield you need to be a member for 2 years.

When you say counting competitions, can they be open singles in my home club or have they to be club members only competitions?

• Advertisement

When you say counting competitions, can they be open singles in my home club or have they to be club members only competitions?

They can be any qualifying competition in your home club. You will notice a 'c' after your handicap when it prints out on a label in most Clubs. This is to help Clubs identify that people have valid competitive handicaps and have met the desired criteria by playing in their home club.

Yes, I've checked Golf Net and there is a C beside my handicap.
    Thanks for the replies

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Yes, I've checked Golf Net and there is a C beside my handicap.
    Thanks for the replies

I don't see the "C" beside mine. Wonder what's up there?

If you login to Golfnet and go to the handicap section in the Modern View, you should see a "Handicap Status" There's either a C = Competition, N= Non competition or S = suspended.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Mine says Non Competition. I've only moved clubs and they didn't transfer over all my previous handicap records from last year or previous years. I wonder is this why?

• Advertisement

I couldn't be sure but I'd guess that's something to do with it. Although I got a handicap cert off my own club for 2017 only. Might be best to contact your handicap secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Mine says Non Competition. I've only moved clubs and they didn't transfer over all my previous handicap records from last year or previous years. I wonder is this why?

No, the previous records remain on golfnet at your old club.

The handicapping software in your new club has to be made aware that an already current 'C' status handicap is being transferred in. I know for a least couple of systems this is not automatic. It should only involve a box tick to get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

clog wrote: »
    No, the previous records remain on golfnet at your old club.

The handicapping software in your new club has to be made aware that an already current 'C' status handicap is being transferred in. I know for a least couple of systems this is not automatic. It should only involve a box tick to get it fixed.

Your new handicap sec must send your old Gui and new to support@golfnet to move your playing history. It’s important for next if you want to play inter club as your history won’t show on the cups and shields report

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

If you login to Golfnet and go to the handicap section in the Modern View, you should see a "Handicap Status" There's either a C = Competition, N= Non competition or S = suspended.

I believe C actually means current

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

No C is competition, says it just below the status on golfnet

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭elbagarihno

charlieIRL wrote: »

This should have been done for you as has been previously mentioned, once you've provided you new club with you old GUI Number. Your handicap secretary needs to contact the GUI and specifically request this though and it's possible they aren't aware of the need to do so.

martinkop wrote: »
    No C is competition, says it just below the status on golfnet

Correct, C is Competition and it is achieved by simply playing 3 qualifying competitions in the preceding 12 months. A lot of Open Competitions require players to have a Competition Handicap for entry.

Most GUI Competitions require that 4 qualifying competitions have been played in the previous calendar year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

This should have been done for you as has been previously mentioned, once you've provided you new club with you old GUI Number. Your handicap secretary needs to contact the GUI and specifically request this though and it's possible they aren't aware of the need to do so.

Golfnet should really have it automated. When you set up a new player it should ask if there is an old Gui number and then import the history

Golfnet should really have it automated. When you set up a new player it should ask if there is an old Gui number and then import the history

You should really only ever be given one GUI Number, and it follows you if you move club.

But I agree that GolfNet should automate the process. When a new member joins we have to register them on GolfNet for a new card, would be very easy to enter their previous GUI Number and pull across the records surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

You should really only ever be given one GUI Number, and it follows you if you move club.

But I agree that GolfNet should automate the process. When a new member joins we have to register them on GolfNet for a new card, would be very easy to enter their previous GUI Number and pull across the records surely.

yea but the way it works is the first 4(i think) digits represent your club so it has to change based on the current system

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    yea but the way it works is the first 4(i think) digits represent your club so it has to change based on the current system

Very true, so basically it will never happen :D

Advertisement