Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing tree

Options
  • 19-06-2018 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

There's an old lane in between the front of my house and the back garden of the house directly opposite me. About 100 years ago this would have been a public lane for those houses, but it has since been unofficially closed up, and many of those houses have extended their garden walls into the lane for extra space.

Except for the neighbour opposite me. There is a large tree/bush growing in the lane between us, and it's growing every which way.

I have emailed the council for feedback, but I'm getting no response. So I was going to discuss it with my neighbour and if they're happy (I'm sure they would be, since it's invading their land too), then I would look about removing it myself.

Question: Are there any rules about removing trees or bushes during summer? I'm thinking from a wildlife perspective?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, I was thinking there could be some gardeners out there who could give me some tips!

Also, any tree removal recommendations would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Firstly, you cannot just remove a tree that is not on your property. You are going to have to discuss this with the council. Forget email. Go in to the council offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

Firstly, you cannot just remove a tree that is not on your property. You are going to have to discuss this with the council. Forget email. Go in to the council offices.

I didn't realise you can just walk in. This would be my first preference, because I wouldn't have to pay! So I just walk into floor 4 of the below address with a picture of the tree along with my contact details? No appointment required?

Dublin City Council
    South East Area Office
    Block 2, Floor 4
    Civic Buildings
    Wood Quay
    Dublin 8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Can you post a pic? I'm sure if it's just a buddleia or elder tree and your neighbours ok with it that no one would lose any sleep, especially if people have been unofficially extending their property boundaries. You may cut it back to the edge of your boundary anyway.

Check for nesting birds but chicks should have fledged by now.

Can you post a pic? I'm sure if it's just a buddleia or elder tree and your neighbours ok with it that no one would lose any sleep, especially if people have been unofficially extending their property boundaries. You may cut it back to the edge of your boundary anyway.

Check for nesting birds but chicks should have fledged by now.

Thanks Standardg60. The neighbours seem to happy about the idea of removing it, or at least cutting it back. I'm also worried about some electrical wires just above the tree.

Here's a picture of the plant, not sure what it is myself. It covers the car under it with green residue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Why would you like to remove a healthy tree if it's not causing any structural damage? You can always trim it on your side, or make the council more aware of it to control it?

• Advertisement

strandroad wrote: »
    Why would you like to remove a healthy tree if it's not causing any structural damage? You can always trim it on your side, or make the council more aware of it to control it?

There is a metal barrier between my side and the tree, and it's pushing through that. If it were a brick wall it would have collapsed at this stage. Depending on where the trunk is, I could look at cutting it back so long as it gives me space to make my wall upright again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you bring the electrical wires into the discussion you will find the ESB tell you not to cut trees near wires and to report them and let them do it.

What is your issue with the tree? Why do you feel it should be removed? What will then be in your sightline if it is removed?

Edit - just seen your response. If the metal barrier is the boundary of your land then you are perfectly ok to cut branches back to stop it damaging your fence - you can cut it back to your boundary.

I wonder if it's the type of tree which has green leaves on the fringes only, and if I cut it back, will it just look like a woody mess and die off anyways? I suppose that was in my head when it comes to removing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Can we have some better pics OP (say a close up of the leaves and a picture of the trunk). From what I can see you have and old tree so covered in ivy that its killing it or the tree is already dead. If that is the case no one cares about the ivy and the tree can be taken down if its dead.

Edit> If you are removing it best leave till August as you often get bird nests the ivy covered trees.

my3cents wrote: »
    Can we have some better pics OP (say a close up of the leaves and a picture of the trunk). From what I can see you have and old tree so covered in ivy that its killing it or the tree is already dead. If that is the case no one cares about the ivy and the tree can be taken down if its dead.

Edit> If you are removing it best leave till August as you often get bird nests the ivy covered trees.

Thanks My3cents. I'm in work at the moment but I'll take some close ups this evening. It certainly does look like ivy. There's also some thick bramble type growth which I've needed to cut back a few times a year after it grew out on to the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

Hard to tell what the tree is but it's the ivy that's causing all the problems and it should be removed. Cut away as much of the overhanging stuff as you can and clear all around the trunk of the tree. Then cut through all the ivy stems that are running up the tree being careful not to cut into the trunk. The rest of the ivy in the tree will then die off. The tree itself shouldn't be a problem.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 2

Picture 2

Picture 3.. Do these help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Melodeon

All I'm seeing there is ivy and briars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Good grief that's a monster of an ivy plant. Awful things. I seem to spend all my time trying to control it in my garden where it sneaks over and under the walls to my neighbours' gardens.

Melodeon wrote: »

Yes, but I didn't realise ivy can be bushy like a tree? Maybe I should just trim it back. It will be difficult to get through the brambles to the base of whatever is there. Firstly the boundary wall, and secondly the plant is over hanging the boundary wall so it's not as simple as walking around it to the base. I would need to cut my way into it.

Melodeon wrote: »

Yes, but I didn't realise ivy can be bushy like a tree? Maybe I should just trim it back. It will be difficult to get through the brambles to the base of whatever is there. Firstly the boundary wall, and secondly the plant is over hanging the boundary wall so it's not as simple as walking around it to the base. I would need to cut my way into it.

• Advertisement

Just leave it until August then chop down whatever you like OP, its just a mess of ivy and brambles, fat chance of any live tree still being under that lot.

my3cents wrote: »
    Just leave it until August then chop down whatever you like OP, its just a mess of ivy and brambles, fat chance of any live tree still being under that lot.

Ok, thanks. If I were to find someone with a trailer to throw it all in, do you know would the dump take garden cuttings like this for free? Or what's the best place to discard them?

CPTM wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. If I were to find someone with a trailer to throw it all in, do you know would the dump take garden cuttings like this for free? Or what's the best place to discard them?

I know our local dump recycling center charges for garden waste so I guess most do, can't think of anywhere else to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My best guess from the photos is that this was once a real tree that outgrew its welcome and some previous owner has already had a go at chopping it back, maybe many years ago.
    The bushy stumps have since been overgrown with ivy and bramble. Nobody is likely to care if you slice this off at ground level, but you will still have the cuttings to dispose of.
    The Wildlife Act prohibits cutting between April and August, if I remember correctly - thereabouts, anyway - because of nesting - many birds have several broods over the course of a summer. If you can see that the invading branches contain no nests, you are legally entitled to cut back to protect your own boundary, as other comments pointed out.
    So come late September, chop away: you don't say where you are but in Dublin you can generally dump a carload of green waste for around a tenner, which isn't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

CPTM wrote: »

It's all over the tree and using it as a frame to grow on, that's how it gets so massive.

As suggested by others, cut out sections of it and you'll see it die off. Ivy is tough stuff but is easy to deal with when it's dead. It takes 6months to a year but it'll be a huge difference, like someones let the air out of it. the ivy stems will still be on the tree but are easy enough to just pull off when they're dead.

Briars are daunting but you can just get a long-handled shears and cut it into blocks and pull it out with a rake. You'll have them cleared out in half an hour(a nuisance to get rid of though) and will be able to get in at the ivy. Cut out 20cm-is sections off all the shoots. A lot you'll be able to get with a lopper but some will need to be sawed.

The tree itself won't be as big as you think. Probably won't be all that near the power/telephone lines and could probably just be trimmed with one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Day Lewin wrote: »
    My best guess from the photos is that this was once a real tree that outgrew its welcome and some previous owner has already had a go at chopping it back, maybe many years ago.
    The bushy stumps have since been overgrown with ivy and bramble. Nobody is likely to care if you slice this off at ground level, but you will still have the cuttings to dispose of.
    The Wildlife Act prohibits cutting between April and August, if I remember correctly - thereabouts, anyway - because of nesting - many birds have several broods over the course of a summer. If you can see that the invading branches contain no nests, you are legally entitled to cut back to protect your own boundary, as other comments pointed out.
    So come late September, chop away: you don't say where you are but in Dublin you can generally dump a carload of green waste for around a tenner, which isn't bad.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=107315448
    I seem to recall reading on this forum that the ban on cutting applied only to agricultural land etc., and not to domestic boundaries, just check for occupied nests as you proceed.
    As for disposal, you could get rid of it gradually via your brown bin. The thicker bits could be cut down to suitable size and used as fuel for your fire, (after leaving to season for a few months). Dry Ivy branches burn really well! The original tree may well be dead and dried up already.
    Preparatory to disposal in the brown bin you could store the cuttings in the space formerly occupied by the growth, so as not to encroach on the space in your garden. Your neighbour may be willing to share the cost of hiring a shredder, to reduce the bulk of the waste to be disposed of.

Advertisement