Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nobody coming to view my house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

Out of interest, what are similar properties in the area selling for? I think your price might be a little too high. A lot of people during Celtic tiger years made the mistake of moving outside of Dublin and spending hours every day commuting so there's a little more caution being exercised this time round.

For instance, you can buy a similar property for the same price as yours in Dublin 15:

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/clonsilla/3-allendale-view-clonsilla-dublin-1770678/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

The Mulk wrote: »
    I think your big problem is the amount of new houses for sale in Kill at the moment , with a lot more to come.
    You house is perfect for a first time buyer that wants to live in Kill, but there seems to be a large number of identical new houses in the same price range as you are looking for.
    Declutter, new photos and ring around a few other auctioneers to ensure your price range is correct.

And they'll get the "help the developer bribe/grant" so if there's a modern new build that can be bought by a first time buyer for a 5% deposit requirement versus an older house with a 10% deposit requirement that doesn't have the new build bells and whistles like A ratings and new fittings, it may struggle to realise the same price. New build also doesn't have the annoyance of bidding wars etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Wow! I would tell the estate agent to sling his hook for that €350. What an awful, awful job. The 2 missing bedrooms is reason enough to sack that agent on the spot. Total rubbish! There is no photo of the bathroom, en-suite, or the downstairs toilet. There should be a photo from the end of the back garden too imo. And of the photos that were taken:

Photo 1- Crooked and blurry.
    2- Portrait hall photo looks congested. Light on makes me think it's a dark area.
    3- Clutter in photo could have been removed very easily. Light on again.
    4- Looks dark. Having the lights on highlights this. Seems common in the photos.
    5- One of the better photos. Still...lights again.
    6- unnecessary photo. Kitchen was covered.
    7- Again, the light is on. Photos can be made brighter without having the lights on. Cropping the wardrobe out of the photo would have been better.
    8- I would have taken that photo at noon with no shadow, but it's ok.

An overall very lazy effort. I wouldn't have viewed if I was in the market. Too much missing, even if I excused the bad photos.

I also think the price is a little high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

shelly24 wrote: »
    I thought myself that the photos weren’t the best and no pics of kids rooms but be said if we show less then people will come to see?

THIS -this is the main problem. You need good pics and of all the rooms. You have to make people see the property in a good light so that they will come view the house.

Showing less photos is (in my experience) because the rooms don't look good and may be off putting. So honest question for you, are your rooms in bad shape? Would it put off most buyers?

People rarely if ever buy just off the internet. They go for viewings (sometimes multiple ones) before buying (or bidding).

Also I think your pricing could be too high. I'd think more like around 250-265k as a starting price...you don't have to accept offers at that level...its just to get the ball rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Catlady76

It’s in kill, kildare so a lovely area.
    Decluttered for the pics- we rented a storage area so put a lot of kids toys and the likes in there.
    I thought myself that the photos weren’t the best and no pics of kids rooms but be said if we show less then people will come to see?
    It’s baffling because the other house sold so quick.
    Now there are new houses in Kill so I’m sure people want them over second hand but the estate my hosue is in is much nicer then the new builds- only 90 units, large green spaces and presented very well so I can’t figure it out.
    As for the underbidders on the house around the corner, we went with a different agent, we went with the same one who is selling the other house we want to buy- that might not have been the best plan.
    It’s on my home and daft and some Kildare newspapers and the indo last week

You would need pictures of the kids rooms because most houses people are thinking ahead to if they have kids what space will they have or else you would be appealing to people already with kids. If you are unhappy with the pics then speak to the EA and ask them to take more. Kill is a lovely area but 3 weeks is not that long to be honest & an EA told me that the summer time slows up in regards to selling & buying houses. If the house is presentable and clean and tidy then there should be no problem. I would suggest pictures of the garden too because that does be very important to people I know for me house hunting its the first thing I look at because I have animals and want a large garden or even one with potential. Maybe put a link to the house up here and people can give you feedback?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Thud

Don't assume because he works as an estate agent that he is always right or knows best.
    When we sold our place we had to push EA to do an open viewing (buyer came from that), not everyone want's to have to call an EA (listen to their sh!te and get put on their spam list) to view a house. yeah you'll get a few nosy neighbours but if someone sees an open viewing date it can set a time in their mind to go see the house rather than having to call EA and fit in a viewing around the EA's schedule. Ask for a prime slot at weekend also, no one wants to have to rush from work to view house.

Also had to push them to put up more photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

obviously the new photographer will take care of the lighting as the pictures make the house look dark with all the lights on during the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If a salesman of anything of any description but in particular a feckin 300k asset cannot make time for me with a whole week's notice. Goodluck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I sold a 2 bed apartment (with a bathroom and ensuite, and a kitchen/living room) very quickly last year through one of the big name estate agents, and out of curiosity I took a look back at what the ad had shown.

Two photos of the outside of the building (different sides)
    One of the entrance hall in my apartment.
    One of the main bedroom, showing all the space, including wardrobes
    One of the ensuite (with nothing on the counters except my toothbrush and toothpaste - I'd flung all my makeup and clutter into a plastic bag for the photo)
    One of the main bathroom (again, no clutter)
    One of the second bedroom, showing the whole space from the door)
    One of the living room end
    One of the kitchen end (mostly decluttered - knife block, kettle, toaster and breadbin left on the counters)
    The last "picture" was a plan of the layout with measurements of each room, done by the estate agent.

So 10 pictures of a small 2 bed apartment. People got to see every inch of the place before coming to view, and there was quite a lot of interest. For a 3 bed house I'd expect more.

As an example of the quality of photos I'd expect, here's some from a different big agency. It may be a show house, I'm not sure, but you get a great idea of the house before you even pick up the phone. http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/blackrock/42-blackrock-avenue-eden-blackrock-cork-1722030/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It's midd terace so say that, the BER isn't great, is there assigned parking. I would get better photos and floor plans. Do an open viewing.
    I'd put it with another EA, in fact why did the EA go SA on a property with you when yours wasn't on the market or SA
    It's a quite time of year to be selling people are on holidays you may need to wait till September.
    Can you close the other purchase if you don't sell. The EA is risking two commissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Thoie wrote: »
    As an example of the quality of photos I'd expect, here's some from a different big agency. It may be a show house, I'm not sure, but you get a great idea of the house before you even pick up the phone. http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/blackrock/42-blackrock-avenue-eden-blackrock-cork-1722030/
    That ad is exactly how you showcase a property for sale.
    The ad made for the OP's property looks crap in comparison, looks like an amateur with a broken camera or something.

Time for a new EA methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shelly24

Thanks a million for all the replies and great tips.
    The other photographer is coming Friday, I really want to give this EA a chance while the other properly we are trying to buy is on the market, it’s in his interest to sell ours and sell us the other property and the other is a bank repossession so it’s tricky. I’ll give him another couple of weeks with the new pics and see how that goes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Have a look at this ad in comparison to yours, 3d video you can walk through, decent photos, you get what you pay for. If as others suggest there is over supply in Kill, I'd move now before you lose potential buyers. You are buying a service you don't seem to be getting tbh. https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/16-russell-avenue-east-east-wall-dublin-3/4250350

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Besides the photos, you might want to reconsider your asking price slightly, 285 might not be peaking people's interest when there are brand new A-rated houses in kill for 295, and 305 down the road in Naas.

Even reducing to 275 or so would get the ball rolling I'd say.

There's quite a bit of new supply coming online in your surrounding towns, which won't help your sale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Price, its always the price.

I would move agents ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DubJJ

Thanks a million for all the replies and great tips.
    The other photographer is coming Friday, I really want to give this EA a chance while the other properly we are trying to buy is on the market, it’s in his interest to sell ours and sell us the other property and the other is a bank repossession so it’s tricky. I’ll give him another couple of weeks with the new pics and see how that goes.

I think you're doing the right thing, it's easy for everybody to say get rid of the agent but you're buying a property from him so I can understand it makes things simpler.

If I had one bit of advice it would be to get the link for your property removed from this thread. It's too easy for that to show up in a potential buyers search and may give the impression that the property has a history of being difficult to sell or that you are desperate to sell. Once it's online it's available to everyone and that's something that might come back to haunt you in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

^^What DubJJ sys^^

I know the OP didn't post it but they did confirm it. Dangerous (in many senses) thing to do. Also breaks the A&P forum charter.

^^What DubJJ sys^^

I know the OP didn't post it but they did confirm it. Dangerous (in many senses) thing to do. Also breaks the A&P forum charter.
    How do I go about that? I tried to delete the thread but it says I don’t have permission

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

How do I go about that? I tried to delete the thread but it says I don’t have permission

report the post with the link

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Links removed

Please report the post if I missed any.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would rearrange the living room a bit if you can. The photo makes it look small and awkward. The sofa looks overbearing in front of the window like that, kind of like it's been jammed in there cause there's nowhere else to put it and the TV is at an odd angle to the sofa too.

It makes it look like it would be annoying to live in.

awec wrote: »
    I would rearrange the living room a bit if you can. The photo makes it look small and awkward. The sofa looks overbearing in front of the window like that, kind of like it's been jammed in there cause there's nowhere else to put it and the TV is at an odd angle to the sofa too.

It makes it look like it would be annoying to live in.
    It’s all been changed now! Sofa under window is moved and a nice coffee table there instead.
    Units in sitting room redocrated too.
    Patio power hosed and back garden rearranged.
    Kids toys taken out of kitchen and the small sofa from sitting room put there instead.
    Looking forward to new pics on Friday
    Thanks for all the help

It’s all been changed now! Sofa under window is moved and a nice coffee table there instead.
    Units in sitting room redocrated too.
    Patio power hosed and back garden rearranged.
    Kids toys taken out of kitchen and the small sofa from sitting room put there instead.
    Looking forward to new pics on Friday
    Thanks for all the help
    Best of luck. The new photographs will make a big difference, a proper photographer will use a wider angle lens which will make everything look more spacious and the lighting will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

ELM327 wrote: »

Time for a new EA methinks.

Is it easy enough to change EA?
    I thought there's a standard contract from the property regulator that the seller has to sign. Would OP have to pay anything to the first agent if they change agents and the new agent finds a buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is it easy enough to change EA?
    I thought there's a standard contract from the property regulator that the seller has to sign. Would OP have to pay anything to the first agent if they change agents and the new agent finds a buyer?
    Unknown.

But if you have employed them to carry out a service on your behalf and they are not providing a satisfactory service (or in the OPs case any service at all) then I would guess that the sale of goods and supply of services act may apply and the OP could seek redress.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

ELM327 wrote: »
    Unknown.

But if you have employed them to carry out a service on your behalf and they are not providing a satisfactory service (or in the OPs case any service at all) then I would guess that the sale of goods and supply of services act may apply and the OP could seek redress.

Theres a clause for cancellation of contract, normally with 2 weeks notice!

Pics all changed now! They are SO much better now :-)

Looks 100 times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

That's like night and day - the new pics are great, well done for making them change them. Fingers crossed this will generate more interest for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hanaimai

Wow, that is a huge change. The house looks very appealing! Best of luck with selling.

Advertisement