Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Escallonia roots

Options
  • 19-06-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine recently bought a house which a had large (overgrown) Escallonia hedge along one side. He has had it cut down and a new wall built to join up with the existing boundary walls on the other side of the house.

But he has a problem with the roots which are up to 150mm dia. in places.

Theres no room for a tractor/digger to pull or dig them out.

Is there any weedkiller that could be painted on to rot them for easier removal at a later date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

red sean wrote: »
    A friend of mine recently bought a house which a had large (overgrown) Escallonia hedge along one side. He has had it cut down and a new wall built to join up with the existing boundary walls on the other side of the house.

But he has a problem with the roots which are up to 150mm dia. in places.

Theres no room for a tractor/digger to pull or dig them out.

Is there any weedkiller that could be painted on to rot them for easier removal at a later date?

I read before that you can use a drill to make a hole in the middle of the stump of a cut down tree and pour in caustic soda that will accelerate the process of it breaking down. Not tried it myself as was happy that tree stumps I dealt with were dead and I was in no rush to see them break down any faster.

Advertisement