Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

State Apology to Homosexuals

• 19-06-2018 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0619/971510-apology/

I watched the proceedings in the Dail this evening and I have to say I feel very proud of Ireland and that's saying something as I've never been one for national pride.

As I watched the proceedings and TD after TD recounted the veritable horror of the lives of ppl who have been persecuted over the generations especially gay men I couldn't help but feel amazed by how far this Catholic conservative country has come.

If there is a God, and He put us here as a test that decides whether we get past the pearly gates - he certainly does set hard coursework.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

How many homesexuals in total were shot in those years?

Apparently at least one other country used to chemically castrate gay people until quite recently, in between lecturing the rest of the world about "civilisation". Did the Irish state do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

AllForIt wrote: »

If there is a God, and He put us here as a test that decides whether we get past the pearly gates.

What an odd concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

How many homesexuals in total were shot in those years?

Shot or shot dead?

Apparently at least one other country used to chemically castrate gay people until quite recently, in between lecturing the rest of the world about "civilisation". Did the Irish state do that?

Sure the Irish state didn't even have the balls to hang their own death penalty criminals when it was still on the statute books. Used to fly the British executioner over to drop the lever, kick the chair out, or whatever it was they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What an odd concept.

Especially as we are told He knows all things already. So why the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Egypt. They have a lot to answer for. I know they love their mummies just like the Irish but there really is no further comparison.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Diana Short Crosswalk

Another pr stunt to deflect from
    Other issues eg health and homeless issues ...don’t see any apologies for those waiting on trolleys.... the social media/pc brigade will lap it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Nobody should ever apologise for something they didn't do. Nobody can apologise on behalf of some other person or body. It's perfectly OK to acknowledge that something wrong was done in the past and to ensure that it doesn't happen in the future.
    I remember Tony Blair apologising for the Irish famine and I thought that it was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard a U.K. Politician saying. Tony Blair had nothing to do with the famine so how could he apologise for it.
    Anyone who did wrong can, and should, apologise. Those who didn't do the wrong have no business apologising.

(BTW Have the Danes ever apologised for the Viking raids?)

• Advertisement

Another pr stunt to deflect from
    Other issues eg health and homeless issues ...don’t see any apologies for those waiting on trolleys.... the social media/pc brigade will lap it up

Over the years of following politics I have always found whether the argument is "There are other issues the gov should be more concerned about" or "They are only taking about this to deflect from that" - to be the most unconvincing arguments one could ever hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Nobody should ever apologise for something they didn't do. Nobody can apologise on behalf of some other person or body. It's perfectly OK to acknowledge that something wrong was done in the past and to ensure that it doesn't happen in the future.
    I remember Tony Blair apologising for the Irish famine and I thought that it was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard a U.K. Politician saying. Tony Blair had nothing to do with the famine so how could he apologise for it.
    Anyone who did wrong can, and should, apologise. Those who didn't do the wrong have no business apologising.

I suppose its because the state is still in existence. It wasn't an individual matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Yawn

Yawn

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭Nermal

Unfortunately so: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/aug/16/ireland

No doubt profferring meaningless apologies will now somehow get us on the hook for compensation claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Mikenesson

Sure the Irish state didn't even have the balls to hang their own death penalty criminals when it was still on the statute books. Used to fly the British executioner over to drop the lever, kick the chair out, or whatever it was they did.

Ya if they still had it you'd be doing it with a keyboard press

Nobody should ever apologise for something they didn't do.

What about things they did do? Like criminalize homosexuality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Talk is cheap.

And from the mouths of politicians!

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Mod: The next time you soapbox in an irrelevant thread, you'll take a week off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Considering homosexuality was decriminalized in 1993 and ingrained homophobia ran through much of Irish society in the 1980s (google Declan Flynn or Charles Self) it is fair to say that many people directly penalized by these laws, or indirectly - gossip and shunning - are still alive and I'm sure they appreciate hearing this apology from the state and the sense of validation that comes with it (whatever about it being long overdue)

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Talk is cheap.

Meh.

I think FG did bring around the marriage ref no? Or did that happen all by itself as if by magic.

What about things they did do? Like criminalize homosexuality?

The people who criminalised homosexuality are long dead and gone. Nobody can apologise on their behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

There may need to be a lot more apologising in future when you look at the demographic change which is currently taking place in this country and the less than friendly views some of those demographs hold towards gay people.

The people who criminalised homosexuality are long dead and gone. Nobody can apologise on their behalf.

Perhaps some of them spoke from heaven to ppl on earth to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Talk is cheap.

Meh.

Probably just looking to piss off the DUP in the north who would be demanding an apology from homosexuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I think FG did bring around the marriage ref no? Or did that happen all by itself as if by magic.

You're also forgetting the LP and Citizens Assembly in your rush to give the Bluehirts the credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Mutant z wrote: »
    There may need to be a lot more apologising in future when you look at the demographic change which is currently taking place in this country and the less than friendly views some of those demographs hold towards gay people.

Every thread

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Well that may be so I've no idea, but I wouldn't compare illegal contraception to criminalizing homosexuality, but I get your point on social conservatism which did effect everyone - and I'm glad it's gone from this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Obsessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

"No secret that people involved in the founding of the state were homosexuals"

Padraig Pearse was the only one I was aware of. He was a homosexual paedophile. Personally I think homosexual paedophiles should be treated as an entirely separate group to homosexuals who are attracted to adults.

Padraig Pearse was the only one I was aware of. He was a homosexual paedophile. Personally I think homosexual paedophiles should be treated as an entirely separate group to homosexuals who are attracted to adults.

Was Pearse a terrorist or freedom fighter?
    That is the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Roger Casement was a homosexual.

Was Pearse a terrorist or freedom fighter?
    That is the question.
    Well he was a paedophile who led lots of people to martyrdom to stir up support for a cause that was unpopular at the time.

Well he was a paedophile who led lots of people to martyrdom to stir up support for a cause that was unpopular at the time.

He was a paedophile?

• Advertisement

"Personally I think homosexual paedophiles should be treated as an entirely separate group to homosexuals who are attracted to adults.

I don't think there is a rational being in the world that would not agree with you. Why are you pointing out the obvious, that has noting to do with this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What demographic change? Ireland is one of the most accepting countries in the world of gay people and can't see that changing soon

He was a paedophile?

Decide for yourself:-

LITTLE LAD OF THE TRICKS

by Padraig Pearse.

Little lad of the tricks,
    Full well I know
    That you have been in mischief:
    Confess your fault truly.

I forgive you, child
    Of the soft red mouth:
    I will not condemn anyone
    For a sin not understood.

Raise your comely head
    Till I kiss your mouth:
    If either of us is the better of that
    I am the better of it.

There is a fragrance in your kiss
    That I have not found yet
    In the kisses of women
    Or in the honey of their bodies.

Lad of the grey eyes,
    That flush in thy cheek
    Would be white with dread of me
    Could you read my secrets.

He who has my secrets
    Is not fit to touch you:
    Is not that a pitiful thing,
    Little lad of the tricks ?

Decide for yourself:-

LITTLE LAD OF THE TRICKS

by Padraig Pearse.

Little lad of the tricks,
    Full well I know
    That you have been in mischief:
    Confess your fault truly.

I forgive you, child
    Of the soft red mouth:
    I will not condemn anyone
    For a sin not understood.

Raise your comely head
    Till I kiss your mouth:
    If either of us is the better of that
    I am the better of it.

There is a fragrance in your kiss
    That I have not found yet
    In the kisses of women
    Or in the honey of their bodies.

Lad of the grey eyes,
    That flush in thy cheek
    Would be white with dread of me
    Could you read my secrets.

He who has my secrets
    Is not fit to touch you:
    Is not that a pitiful thing,
    Little lad of the tricks ?

That's your evidence? A poem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

As I watched the proceedings and TD after TD recounted the veritable horror of the lives of ppl who have been persecuted over the generations especially gay men I couldn't help but feel amazed by how far this Catholic conservative country has come.

Curiously enough, the priesthood was more of a safe haven for many conservative gay men at the time in that it afforded them the ability to remain in the closest and not have to bear the social pressure of people questioning their sexuality or facing pressure to go into manual labour, to marry, to have children, to get a job that would provide for a family, etc.

I tend to view any apologies for political purposes a bit like this tbh:

• Advertisement

He was a paedophile?
    Yes. Google little lad of the tricks. He wrote lots of stuff like that.

Some people think he didnt act on his desires. Personally I reckon he would have chosen a different career if that were true.

Yes. Google little lad of the tricks. He wrote lots of stuff like that.

Some people think he didnt act on his desires. Personally I reckon he would have chosen a different career if that were true.

A poem? That's your evidence that he was a paedophile. I hope you don't work in the legal profession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Any sign of Leo apologizing for the state torturing people to death and dumping their bodies or tying prisoners to land mines?

Is there f**k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Where's the evidence for all these accusations about Pearse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

True, the U.K. was far worse for homosexuals. That doesn’t fit the narrative.

Where's the evidence for all these accusations about Pearse.

The legal eagles have decided that a poem is sufficient evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Where’s the evidence that Pearse actually engaged in any pedophilloic activities.

Curiously enough, the priesthood was more of a safe haven for many conservative gay men at the time in that it afforded them the ability to remain in the closest and not have to bear the social pressure of people questioning their sexuality or facing pressure to go into manual labour, to marry, to have children, to get a job that would provide for a family, etc.

Is/was there social pressure to get married and have children? Where did that come from I wonder.

More likely the typical Catholic family who had an abundance of children convinced one of them (for whatever reason,hint hint) to become a priest. What an accolade to have a priest in one's family. Kill two birds with one stone, kinda thing.

As far as calculating politicians are concerned, I accept that. This apology will be forgotten tomorrow. But if you don't mind it does mean something to some ppl even if means nothing to you personally. On top of that when you see what goes in foreign lands as homosexual rights have become worse due to to social wars between the east and west, I think it's worthwhile to state where our county stands on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Is/was there social pressure to get married and have children? Where did that come from I wonder.

It came from the hopes of increasing the familys social status through marriage, which was practiced in Irish society long before Catholicism.

More likely the typical Catholic family who had an abundance of children convinced one of them (for whatever reason,hint hint) to become a priest. What an accolade to have a priest in one's family. Kill two birds with one stone, kinda thing.

There was that too of course, which was indeed like killing two birds with the one stone - gay Catholics didn't bring shame on the family, and of course having a priest in the family increased a familys social status, an idea not entirely unlike the numbers of young daughters who 'suddenly' felt the urge to join the Convent out of the blue. At least that's what the neighbours were told, so the family maintained and even grew their social status in their community.

It was more of a social class thing than it was ever about whether or not someone was gay. There are many well-known people at the time who were openly gay and wealthy, and that's not a particularly popular narrative, because it betrays the romanticised narrative that suggests Irish society was a collective of ignorant spud munchers in thrall to the Church. They weren't, or at least most people weren't anyway. It was simply a case then as much as it is today of keeping up appearances.

• Advertisement
Advertisement